Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Safeway/Vons- buy $100 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries

Safeway/Vons- buy $100 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries

Old Jun 30, 12, 8:13 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LAX
Posts: 2,750
Originally Posted by jake66 View Post
I've tried using my Chase Freedom card to buy $500 gift cards at several Vons grocery stores in the San Diego area. Every time they told me I can only pay with cash or a pin-based debit card.
Drive up North to Orange County....I purchased the $500 Visa Gift Card with my Chase Freedom a couple of days ago along with 2 bags of chips. Used my Chase Freedom and showed my photo ID. No problem.
metoo is offline  
Old Jul 1, 12, 6:11 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 107
Originally Posted by jake66 View Post
I've tried using my Chase Freedom card to buy $500 gift cards at several Vons grocery stores in the San Diego area. Every time they told me I can only pay with cash or a pin-based debit card.
They told me the same thing. It was thier OLD gift card policy. Just ask them to check with thier managers. The new policy is CREDIT CARD WITH ID.
liaozhongchao is offline  
Old Jul 1, 12, 9:43 pm
  #63  
Moderator, Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: TIJ/SAN
Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
Posts: 1,447
Originally Posted by liaozhongchao View Post
They told me the same thing. It was thier OLD gift card policy. Just ask them to check with thier managers. The new policy is CREDIT CARD WITH ID.
Thanks for the info. It is too late to get the 5x points on Chase Freedom this year, but I'll remember that for next year.
ChrisFlyer66 is offline  
Old Jul 2, 12, 4:37 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 19
Crap. Purchased 3x on 6/28 but those didn't post until 7/1. According to Chase, no 5% bonus. @Safeway.
Panzerspitze is offline  
Old Jul 2, 12, 4:52 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by jake66 View Post
I've tried using my Chase Freedom card to buy $500 gift cards at several Vons grocery stores in the San Diego area. Every time they told me I can only pay with cash or a pin-based debit card.
I wonder if safeway upgrade their system recently because it stopped accepting cc as a payment for visa gift card. I was able to do it a week ago.
vitousa is offline  
Old Jul 2, 12, 4:57 pm
  #66  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: AA GLD 1.9MM, HH DMD
Posts: 2,013
Originally Posted by vitousa View Post
I wonder if safeway upgrade their system recently because it stopped accepting cc as a payment for visa gift card. I was able to do it a week ago.
Doubtful. Or if they did, pretty much any 'non-manager' cashier can over ride that anyway. Just have to go to the cashier who's doing so. If the one you go to is problematic, politely take your gift card to another aisle and try again -- yes, I had to do that once when the first cashier refused to let me pay by Mastercard, the second one (less than 2 minutes later) did it for me without any words being exchanged.
thehawk75 is offline  
Old Jul 2, 12, 5:02 pm
  #67  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 39,056
Originally Posted by Panzerspitze View Post
...Purchased 3x on 6/28 but those didn't post until 7/1.
Posting date is irrelevant, the transaction date is all that matters.
mia is offline  
Old Jul 2, 12, 5:13 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Posting date is irrelevant, the transaction date is all that matters.
Really (I sure hope so)? That's not what a Chase rep told me over the phone though.
Panzerspitze is offline  
Old Jul 2, 12, 10:42 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 75
For my last $500 GC I had to try three cashiers at two different Safeways in San Francisco before one let me purchase the GC. I had previously purchased $500 GCs from both of these stores. It definitely depends on the cashier.
anders228 is offline  
Old Jul 3, 12, 12:06 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by thehawk75 View Post
Doubtful. Or if they did, pretty much any 'non-manager' cashier can over ride that anyway. Just have to go to the cashier who's doing so. If the one you go to is problematic, politely take your gift card to another aisle and try again -- yes, I had to do that once when the first cashier refused to let me pay by Mastercard, the second one (less than 2 minutes later) did it for me without any words being exchanged.
I will give it a try again. Never noticed that it said cash only until I got the reject recently. Thanks.
vitousa is offline  
Old Jul 3, 12, 8:35 am
  #71  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 39,056
Originally Posted by Panzerspitze View Post
Really (I sure hope so)? That's not what a Chase rep told me over the phone though.
Brief discussion, with written explanation from Chase, here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...post-date.html
mia is offline  
Old Jul 19, 12, 3:47 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 107
Thumbs up Safeway/Vons- buy $100 Mastercard Gift card, get $10 off your next shopping trip



Your Next Shopping Trip
$10 OFF
When you Buy $100 in MasterCard gift cards. Offer valid 7/18-8/14/12. Coupon issued at register. Limit 1 coupon per transaction. Subject to availability. See gift cards for details, terms, conditions and (if applicable) fees.


I did this just now and paid $105.95 for a $100 Mastercard gift card. I also found something different from the former VISA/Mastercard deals:

1. You can only buy $100 value card NOT $100 or more;
2. The coupon will be good for any purchase NOT JUST GROCERIES (at least it doesn't mention any restriction except for gift card purchases);
3. The coupon will be expire on 8/28/12.

Even though the Chase Freedom card's grocery category has already passed, I think it would still be a good deal for those Blue Cash Everyday/Preferred card members. I used my AMEX HHonors card to meet the $750 spending requirement and get x6 points. I will do it again during the promotion period.
liaozhongchao is offline  
Old Jul 19, 12, 3:51 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Posts: 291
Safeway/Vons- buy $100 Mastercard Gift card, get $10 off your next shopping trip

Great way to build up spend on your credit card. Are there any limits?
Landice is offline  
Old Jul 19, 12, 3:58 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 107
When you use your $10 off coupon:

Minimum purchase of $10 required. (Of course...)
Limit one per coupon per transaction.
Terms and conditions apply to gift cards.
Usage restrictions may apply.
Coupon cannot be used for a gift card purchase.

That's it!

I still remember the similar Mastercard promotion two months ago. The $10 off coupon could only be used for groceries shopping, not even for fruits or vegetables.
liaozhongchao is offline  
Old Jul 19, 12, 4:21 pm
  #75  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 39,056
Moderator action

liaozhongchao's post has been merged into the established thread discussing previous variants of this offer.
mia is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread