Search

Has a mileage promotion won you over?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Has a mileage promotion won you over?

When Cap 1 had their 100k offer last year, I jumped in. As usual I thought I would be on my merry way to the next card as I thought the SPG was irreplaceable. But after using the card I started warming up to it and now its my main backup card. I downgraded it to no fee version and plan to keep it indefinitely.

Any promo catch your fancy?
Old May 30, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
If you mean, is there a card I didn't plan to keep but decided to, yes.

I found with Chase Sapphire Preferred:

a) I get enough double points on restaurants and the 7% annual bonus to make it nearly worth the $95 fee.
b) It gives me transfer access to United. Meaning that if I need an award ticket and it's not available on DL (which is like saying "If it's raining in Seattle") I have another option.
c) It's convenient that it has no forex fee, which is important because my wife lives in Canada. She can charge things and I can pay for them in $USD.
d) I can buy points from co-workers and save them for a rainy day, and it's completely legal (or so Chase tells me).

The only downside is that my annual spending is in the $30-35K range, and I have Amex PRG which has a spend bonus at $30K. So if I move a significant amount of spend to another card, I have to find a way to still get the Amex at $30K. What my wife spends doesn't matter (i.e. she would not put it on Amex PRG because of the forex fee) but I still have to find other, creative ways to keep my spend up.

Actually, before this, I didn't even have a Visa/MC with significant rewards. One thing I do is pay my rent with it. I can pay up to $3000 at a time, with a $20 convenience fee, so effectively I'm getting 3140 (after 7% bonus) points for $20, which is a good deal.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by UA Fan
When Cap 1 had their 100k offer last year, I jumped in. As usual I thought I would be on my merry way to the next card as I thought the SPG was irreplaceable. But after using the card I started warming up to it and now its my main backup card. I downgraded it to no fee version and plan to keep it indefinitely.

Any promo catch your fancy?
Ink Bold. With the 5x categories for office supplies and telecom, it's well worth the annual fee when it's due next year.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:49 pm

Citicards advantage, apparently a focused invitation, 3 month 50% bonus. I'm making significant tax payments using it. Payments for 2011, april 2012, june 2012.
Old May 30, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
All three Citi AA cards. I wanted to close them but they generate the bulk of my AA miles.. over 100K in spending (all 3 combined). Plus Citi always waive the annual fee (on all 3 cards).
Old May 30, 2012, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
All three Citi AA cards. I wanted to close them but they generate the bulk of my AA miles.. over 100K in spending (all 3 combined). Plus Citi always waive the annual fee (on all 3 cards).
How many years have they waived the fee?

Also if you used the SPG you would have got 125k.
Old May 30, 2012, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Redtop, can you elaborate on buying points from co-workers?

Are Sapphire points transferable among sapphire members?
Old May 30, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
How many years have they waived the fee?

Also if you used the SPG you would have got 125k.
3 years.

Already have a SPG card with 120K points
Old May 30, 2012, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
If you mean, is there a card I didn't plan to keep but decided to, yes.

I found with Chase Sapphire Preferred:

a) I get enough double points on restaurants and the 7% annual bonus to make it nearly worth the $95 fee.
b) It gives me transfer access to United. Meaning that if I need an award ticket and it's not available on DL (which is like saying "If it's raining in Seattle") I have another option.
c) It's convenient that it has no forex fee, which is important because my wife lives in Canada. She can charge things and I can pay for them in $USD.
d) I can buy points from co-workers and save them for a rainy day, and it's completely legal (or so Chase tells me).

The only downside is that my annual spending is in the $30-35K range, and I have Amex PRG which has a spend bonus at $30K. So if I move a significant amount of spend to another card, I have to find a way to still get the Amex at $30K. What my wife spends doesn't matter (i.e. she would not put it on Amex PRG because of the forex fee) but I still have to find other, creative ways to keep my spend up.

Actually, before this, I didn't even have a Visa/MC with significant rewards. One thing I do is pay my rent with it. I can pay up to $3000 at a time, with a $20 convenience fee, so effectively I'm getting 3140 (after 7% bonus) points for $20, which is a good deal.

Hey, It is bright and sunny today in Seattle. But I do love my new Ink Bold!
Old May 30, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: Some.
Redtop, can you elaborate on buying points from co-workers?

Are Sapphire points transferable among sapphire members?
You can transfer points from any UR account to any UR account.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedRiver
You can transfer points from any UR account to any UR account.
And Sapphire specifically allows you to buy/barter them from others?
Old May 30, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: Some.
And Sapphire specifically allows you to buy/barter them from others?
I don't know about all that... Actually, I kind of doubt it, but I've never asked/considered it.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: Several dozen
The only miles promotions that impress me are with Baltic Air. Where else can you name a price, the airline books the flight, then tells you where you are going? Is that cool or what - today you either get Athens to see the Running of the Banks or Minsk, which is like a loose a turn spin on the wheel since you need a VISA ahead of time.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I was going to close down my BA card since I only got it for the 100K pre-Avios miles for $95 (which was great). But they offered to waive the second year fee and would give me 2.5 Avios/$ for any purchases 'til 6/30/12 up to $8K total. Since I value Avios between 1.1-1.2 cpm, I couldn't pass it up. They're really useful for a few domestic redemptions I have (where fare prices are really high compared to distance).

The only time I used it beforehand was for taxes/fees on BA awards (2.5 Avios/$ compared to 2.14x with my Sapphire) and for the NYC Michelin promos (which more than paid for the 1st year annual fee). But it's a good general card for the time-being.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond
Citi Premier - the flight points/redemption for flights, and surprisingly, Spirit Incentives discounts work well for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.