FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   Was this a good use of points/avios? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1344975-good-use-points-avios.html)

jgrease May 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Was this a good use of points/avios?

Purchased 2 business class seats JFK-SJU for 64k BA Avios and 314.80 in residual cost and fees. The 64k Avios translated to 0.033 CPM value based on AA's reduced business fare for the same exact flights. How does this rank in terms of value? I looked at it from the perspective that I had the miles docked for a while, their value to the UK is horrendous, and we wanted to go visit my wife's family, and go comfortably (I can't do coach to/from SJU). Did I drop the ball here, or is it at least palatable? Thanks in advance for the input.

CodeAdam10 May 10, 2012 6:13 pm

0.033 CPM is a decent redemption value in my book.

The value is in the eyes of the miles holder.

Did it work for you? Were you happy with the trip? Did you enjoy saving some cash?

Some will swear by no F for domestic but it works for me for flights over 4 hours.

I just redeemed 290k Avios for multi-city domestic TATL Biz awards and I know my family will love it. 290k, yikes, is a lot! But according to AA.com, I would've paid a whopping $31,500 for the same tickets / flights so hey. That's almost $0.11CPM for domestic Biz travels baby! LoL

Paulchili May 10, 2012 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by jgrease (Post 18552621)
Purchased 2 business class seats JFK-SJU for 64k BA Avios and 314.80 in residual cost and fees. The 64k Avios translated to 0.033 CPM value based on AA's reduced business fare for the same exact flights. How does this rank in terms of value? I looked at it from the perspective that I had the miles docked for a while, their value to the UK is horrendous, and we wanted to go visit my wife's family, and go comfortably (I can't do coach to/from SJU). Did I drop the ball here, or is it at least palatable? Thanks in advance for the input.

Is this for 2 people in J RT or OW?

guv1976 May 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

0.033 CPM is exceedingly poor value. Fortunately, that's not what the OP got: he redeemed for a much better 3.3 CPM (0.033 DPM). ;)

fuego2u May 10, 2012 6:25 pm

As long as you are happy with what you booked and your use of miles then sure.

Could you have got better technical value from a short haul AA flight in the future? Probaby. Are short haul AA flight redemptions worth more than visiting your wife's family? Up to you :)

jgrease May 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Oops - my bad. That was 3.32 cpm total for 2 rt seats. Honestly, I was happy with the chance to fly business with the missus in peace (my last flight to SJU in coach was horrendous - never again!). But I wonder from a neutral point of view what a decent rate is for mile usage. Thanks again.

clacko May 10, 2012 6:48 pm

well done.....when my spouse is happy, i'm happy....enjoy your good deal trip...