FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   is British Avios more valuable than AA or United miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1344606-british-avios-more-valuable-than-aa-united-miles.html)

jimmy1 May 9, 12 6:49 pm

is British Avios more valuable than AA or United miles?

i have advantage account with 225k miles and united with 55k miles and have 80k chase UR points.

In regards to booking flights, specially domestic, is British Avios more valuable or better than advantage or united miles?

For example, if I book domestic round trip with AA or united miles on aa.com or united.com, the miles saver is 25k miles plus $5 fee. But if I book same domestic round trip on BA site, it is 15K Avios plus $5. I just did a test booking chicago to ny roundtrip on BA site and it shows only 15k avios which is just 15k AA miles? 50k chase UR point is 50k british Avios? that is 3 round trips and 5k avios still left on BA site?
if i do it on aa or united.com it is only 2 round trips. I don't have any BA avios or BA card but I can use my Advantage miles on BA site and use just 15k miles for domestic round trip VS doing it directly at AA.com which costs 25k miles?

Should I transfer my chase UR points to BA and not United?

Thanks

ThePointsCollector May 9, 12 6:50 pm

domestic US yes.. as long as you can find availability.

jimmy1 May 9, 12 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian (Post 18545690)
domestic US yes.. as long as you can find availability.

I can use my Advantage miles on BA site and use just 15k miles for domestic round trip VS doing it directly at AA.com which costs 25k miles?

if i can save 10k aa miles just with that trick, this would be a HUGE savings of miles great new discovery for me!
Should I transfer my chase UR points to BA and not United? 50k chase UR point is 50k british Avios? that is 3 round trips and 5k avios still left on BA site?
if i do it on aa or united.com it is only 2 round trips

inY May 9, 12 6:53 pm

Internationally, usually no due to fuel surcharge and summing over connections.

jpetekYXMD80 May 9, 12 6:53 pm

They definitely have their use, particularly domestically, and particularly if you're near an AA hub and travel short-medium distances. With your other balances, some avios are definitely advantageous to have around. However, if you want to go to Europe in J with some great partner airlines and low surcharges, United all the way.

inY May 9, 12 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18545701)
I can use my Advantage miles on BA site and use just 15k miles for domestic round trip VS doing it directly at AA.com which costs 25k miles?

You should keep your Chase UR until you need them to book a flight then transfer to whichever is cheapest/has availability for that specific flight.

benzemalyonnais May 9, 12 7:05 pm

You need to look long and hard about where you travel, and the resulting connections on AA that are out of your preferred airport. Generally, one can afford a ticket to Chicago, so I wouldn't use that as the definitive way to assess your potential options here. If you're looking at it that way, I would never pay 25k miles for a $150 flight. I also wouldn't pay 15k for it either.

The objective is to find a high-cost, low-cost option, which is why so many people highlight the routes to Canada, even though I've seen $220 JFK-YYZ RT which would even bring into question the 4,500+75$ that BA does on this route.

jimmy1 May 9, 12 7:07 pm

if i can save 10k aa miles just with that trick, this would be a HUGE savings of miles, great new discovery for me!
Should I transfer my chase UR points to BA and not United? 50k chase UR point is 50k british Avios? that is 3 round trips and 5k avios still left on BA site?
if i do it on aa or united.com it is only 2 round trips.

Raffles May 9, 12 7:11 pm

You can't use AA miles onthe BA site.

You can use BA Avios on the BA site to book AA flights.

PanGalactic May 9, 12 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 18545796)

Hey, what are you doing on here?

Get back to the beach! :D

To the OP: Make sure you look into the taxes before planning any travel to europe, especially London!

You have been warned!

jimmy1 May 9, 12 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 18545796)

Oh! I have AA miles United miles and chase UR points but no British avios.

I thought BA is a one world partner and thus i can use my AA miles to book flights on BA site? that way 15k avios is only 15k miles?

mikelat May 9, 12 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18545773)
if i can save 10k aa miles just with that trick, this would be a HUGE savings of miles, great new discovery for me!
if i do it on aa or united.com it is only 2 round trips.

No, your AA miles are redeemed per the AA award chart at AA.com or via AA Customer Serivice. They are not redeemed per the BA chart. You can only use Avios miles for the BA award levels.

Now, for the UR points, if you do a lot of short haul redemptions then transferring to Avios and redeeming via BA's site on AA flights is probably a better deal than doing United awards. I'm sure that the UR program will tell you what the exchange rate is for UR->Avios, just look it up on their website.

deltame May 9, 12 7:18 pm

The answer to first question depends on the specific flights that you wish to redeem: using BA miles (e.g., to fly on AA) is better for short haul flights.

No, BA and AA are separate programs, and you'd using BA miles on BA site following BA redemption rules, and using AA miles on AA site (or by phone) following AA redemption rules. However, as BA/AA belong to the same alliance, you can use BA miles to fly AA or vice verse, but the redemption rules always follow the program/miles that you are redeeming from. As recommended by another poster, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18542795-post188.html, you really should invest time to study some basic FF rules for each program (in order to better take advantage of you miles).

Lastly, its usually better to keep UR points where they are until you are ready to make a specific redemption.

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18545688)
I don't have any BA avios or BA card but I can use my Advantage miles on BA site and use just 15k miles for domestic round trip VS doing it directly at AA.com which costs 25k miles?

Thanks

ThePointsCollector May 9, 12 7:23 pm

I had 200K ba miles/avios.. Used them for trip to Santiago (4 people), and to Pensacola after they changed them to Avios. The total for 4 from dfw to pensacola was 36K avios. Best deal ever. Would have cost me 75K on AA.
Just got 4 more BA cards for my family :D

ffI May 9, 12 7:25 pm

A mile may be a mile, but not really

A F class award on AA flight from IAD-HNL is <80k AA miles with a stop in LAX for as long as you want.
A F Class award on same AA flight is 150k BA Avios points/miles, as it prices as follows
IAD-LAX = 12.5k for economy x 3= 37.5k BA Avios
LAX-HNL is 12.5k for economy x 3= 37.5k BA Avios
So this takes 75k Avios just to get there.

But the same trip to HNL from LAX or SFO is less with BA
It is almost same in Biz, but 35k on AA, 25k on BA in economy
So if you are flying short hops on AA, BA miles are the way to go.
If economy as well, BA is cheaper.
Longer hops, in Biz/F = AA miles better usually.

jimmy1 May 9, 12 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 18545868)

A F class award on AA flight from IAD-HNL is <80k AA miles with a stop in LAX for as long as you want.
A F Class award on same AA flight is 150k BA Avios points/miles, as it prices as follows

can't use AA miles to book domestic round trip flights on BA site?

on BA site it costs only 15k avios for domestic round trip, can I make it only 15k advantage miles for domestic round trip? AA.com wants 25k miles for domestic round trip which is 10k more than what is on BA site.

guv1976 May 9, 12 7:47 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

No, you cannot use AA miles for anything on ba.com: not domestic U.S. flights, not domestic U.K. flights, and not international flights. You can only redeem AAdvantage miles at AA's redemption rates, and only at aa.com, or by phoning AA.

guv1976 May 9, 12 7:51 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ffI

AAdvantage awards for travel wholly within North America do not permit any stopovers. IAD-LAX (stopover) - HNL would require two awards, and would cost more AAdvantage miles than IAD-LAX (connection) - HNL.

jimmy1 May 9, 12 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 18545970)

No, you cannot use AA miles for anything on ba.com: not domestic U.S. flights, not domestic U.K. flights, and not international flights. You can only redeem AAdvantage miles at AA's redemption rates, and only at aa.com, or by phoning AA.

transfer 15k AA miles to british and it comes 15k british avios? enough for domestic round trip on BA site?

guv1976 May 9, 12 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by jimmy1

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 18545970)

transfer 15k AA miles to british and it comes 15k british avios? enough for domestic round trip on BA site?

You cannot transfer AA miles to BA; you cannot transfer BA Avios to AA.

You can redeem AA miles for travel on AA or its partners at AA's redemption rates, and subject to AA's rules and fees.

You can redeem BA Avios for travel on BA or any of its partners at BA's redemption rates, and subject to BA's rules and fees.

The same award flight might cost a different amount of miles and fees depending on whether you redeem AA miles, BA miles, LAN Pass kilometers, etc.

sshank May 9, 12 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18545994)

Is this really that hard to understand?

ThePointsCollector May 9, 12 9:23 pm

Really man?

belfordrocks May 9, 12 9:26 pm

Rule of thumb is NO, unless you live in a Oneworld hub and ONLY fly domestically.

Otherwise you'd be insane to turn your valuable Chase UR points into Avios...

flymonthly May 9, 12 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 18546414)
Rule of thumb is NO, unless you live in a Oneworld hub and ONLY fly domestically.

Otherwise you'd be insane to turn your valuable Chase UR points into Avios...

I don't live in a OW hub or only fly domestically, but I still find Avios points to be quite handy. They've saved me a ton of $s/points flying short haul in the US, Japan and Europe and even West Coast to Japan in F (yes the YQ was high, but my preferred airline in *A didn't have any availability). I wouldn't use Avios for my primary airline points program, but I wouldn't dismiss it out-of-hand either.

blase May 9, 12 10:06 pm

If you want to take advantage of the 15k Avios rate for your domestic flight you'll need to have Avios in your BA account. Since you do not, but it sounds like you have Ultimate Rewards points, transfer 15k UR points into BA Avios and voila, you will have enough for your domestic round trip. And your AA miles will still be untouched and intact. :)

But don't transfer in more UR points than you need for your specific flight - no need to.

dhammer53 May 9, 12 10:47 pm

Getting the BA credit card last year turned out to be a great idea.

Cashing in Avios for an AA award ticket:

- no bag fees
- priority boarding
- potentially less cost depending on the distance you're flying.
- no last minute booking fees

The BA credit card is #2 in my wallet these days after the Starwood Amex.

Disclaimer - I have plenty of AA and UA miles.

dh

pianistat May 9, 12 11:15 pm

I used to hate the new redemption chart on Avios...
Untill...just booked a flight for a friend to meed me at NYC. His flight from Columbus to NYC in 2 weeks cost $479 plus. It cost me freaking 9000 avios and $5!! Same flight on reward booking on AA site cost 25000 plus $85 fees!!! Now I get the 25000 miles but the fee..ridiculous! I think I am going to keep my 41K Avios left miles for this kind of occasions.
By the way before my booking I asked my friend how much is this ticked worth to him and he said $250 (knowing how much will cost him otherwise). I said "deal"
Win-win!:D Gotta love our hobby.

jimmy1 May 9, 12 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by pianistat (Post 18546909)
I used to hate the new redemption chart on Avios...
Untill...just booked a flight for a friend to meed me at NYC. His flight from Columbus to NYC in 2 weeks cost $479 plus. It cost me freaking 9000 avios and $5!! Same flight on reward booking on AA site cost 25000 plus $85 fees!!! Now I get the 25000 miles but the fee..ridiculous! I think I am going to keep my 41K Avios left miles for this kind of occasions.
By the way before my booking I asked my friend how much is this ticked worth to him and he said $250 (knowing how much will cost him otherwise). I said "deal"
Win-win!:D Gotta love our hobby.

how do i use aa miles to book flights on BA? this is one world partner right?

only way is call AA agent?

amolkold May 9, 12 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18546989)
how do i use aa miles to book flights on BA? this is one world partner right?

only way is call AA agent?

Yes, AA and BA are both in OneWorld.

As of last month, you can go to AA.com to book BA flights using AA miles. You can also call but will be charged a $25 fee over the phone.

jimmy1 May 10, 12 12:10 am

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 18547026)
Yes, AA and BA are both in OneWorld.

As of last month, you can go to AA.com to book BA flights using AA miles. You can also call but will be charged a $25 fee over the phone.

even with $25 fee, the rate is not gonna be about the same right?
for example it is only 15k BA avios vs 25k aa miles.

amolkold May 10, 12 12:26 am

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18547094)

AA and BA run different programs. Their miles and mileage charts have nothing to do with each other.

The only connection is that you can use AA miles to book on BA, and BA Avios to book on AA.

Whenever you book a flight, you use the chart of the airline whose miles you are using.

Paulchili May 10, 12 12:37 am

It doesn't matter how many times you twist this around - it won't work.
AA miles have to be redeemed at AA rates - that is 25K for domestic roundtrip in saver economy on AA anywhere within US (BA does not fly ORD to NYC). AA miles cannot be converted into Avios.
To use the 15K Avios rate that you love so much, you have to have Avios in your BA account (from your Chase UR) and then book it on BA.com for 15K (for your trip). If it's a longer trip or a connection, it will cost more in Avios than in AA miles.
Why do you want to waste ANY miles/Avios on cheap domestic economy ticket anyway? Use them for business/first class awards to faraway places that would cost thousands of $$$$. That's what I (and most savvy travelers here) do. Your 225K AA miles can practically take you around the world in business. It's your call.

deltame May 10, 12 12:40 am

OP, you are still missing the point. As many have told you point blank that (1) you cannot transfer between BA/AA (separate program), (2) if you redeem AA miles for award flights, whether the flight is operated by AA or BA or another partners, you pay according the redemption rate by AA. Similarly if you redeem BA miles, whether the flight is operated by AA or BA or CX or other partners you'd pay according to BA redemption rates.

In your specific case (for domestic flights), keep in mind that BA does not operate any flights within the US, so whatever FF program you choose (to pay for the flights traveling within US) the operating carrier will be AA (or AS). If you want spend AA miles, you'd pay 25K+ AA miles for round trip; if you want spend BA miles (to fly on AA or AS) the RT mileage requirement (according to BA redemption rules) might be <=25K BA miles depending on the distance you travel.

I think you would be benefit from (a) invest time to read/understand responses on FT (b) study the award redemption charts for AA (and BA) and UA that you have accumulated miles.

amolkold May 10, 12 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili (Post 18547169)
Why do you want to waste ANY miles/Avios on cheap domestic economy ticket anyway? Use them for business/first class awards to faraway places that would cost thousands of $$$$. That's what I (and most savvy travelers here) do. Your 225K AA miles can practically take you around the world in business. It's your call.

Actually, I'd say that Avios for domestic economy is still a good deal if it's a personal trip that you have to make and the cash price is too high. The Avios prices for international F and J are highly inflated now, and a lot of routes have fuel surcharges that reach 4 digits.

But yeah, I agree that AA miles are set up perfectly for international awards in F/J. I would never use them on a domestic route.

jimmy1 May 10, 12 12:57 am

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 18547213)
Actually, I'd say that Avios for domestic economy is still a good deal if it's a personal trip that you have to make and the cash price is too high. The Avios prices for international F and J are highly inflated now, and a lot of routes have fuel surcharges that reach 4 digits.

But yeah, I agree that AA miles are set up perfectly for international awards in F/J. I would never use them on a domestic route.

thanks for both opinions.

btw what is F and the J?

mnscout May 10, 12 1:03 am

Originally Posted by blase (Post 18546619)
If you want to take advantage of the 15k Avios rate for your domestic flight you'll need to have Avios in your BA account. Since you do not, but it sounds like you have Ultimate Rewards points, transfer 15k UR points into BA Avios and voila, you will have enough for your domestic round trip. And your AA miles will still be untouched and intact. :)

But don't transfer in more UR points than you need for your specific flight - no need to.

+1

Also, like other folks from BA forum pointed out to me when I got too excited with Avios, you can book with Avios only if there is AA milesaver award availability. If not, you can't use Avios on AA. In the meantime, the AA own site might and most often does have award seats available for AAdvantage miles at the higher rates.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Avios, but you need to know the facts.

mnscout May 10, 12 1:05 am

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18547236)

btw what is F and the J?

F is first and J is business.

amolkold May 10, 12 1:08 am

Originally Posted by mnscout (Post 18547260)
+1

Also, like other folks from BA forum pointed out to me when I got too excited with Avios, you can book with Avios only if there is AA milesaver award availability. If not, you can't use Avios on AA. In the meantime, the AA own site might and most often does have award seats available for AAdvantage miles at the higher rates.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Avios, but you need to know the facts.

That's an important tidbit to know, and it's not different from the industry norm. For any airline who has more than 1 award redemption tier, their partners can only book when that airline has availability at the lowest tier.

That's why Alaska Airlines miles can only be used on Delta if DL has low award availability. Or in this case, BA miles can only be used on AA if AA has low tier availability (milesAAver in AA parlance).

SocialAdept May 10, 12 1:23 am

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18547236)

btw what is F and the J?

Not trying to sound gruff but you need to spend more time using the search function and reading some of the FAQs rather than ask these very basic questions.

I recommend the book 'Decoding Air Travel' by Nicholas Kralev.

longhorn11 May 10, 12 1:34 am

Originally Posted by SocialAdept (Post 18547328)
Not trying to sound gruff but you need to spend more time using the search function and reading some of the FAQs rather than ask these very basic questions.

I recommend the book 'Decoding Air Travel' by Nicholas Kralev.

Many have given this exact same advice to the OP in his/her other threads. Again not trying to be rude, just agreeing that you should really research these things. Just like back in school, doing your own work/research is the only way to learn the subject.