FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   is British Avios more valuable than AA or United miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1344606-british-avios-more-valuable-than-aa-united-miles.html)

jimmy1 May 9, 2012 5:49 pm

is British Avios more valuable than AA or United miles?

i have advantage account with 225k miles and united with 55k miles and have 80k chase UR points.

In regards to booking flights, specially domestic, is British Avios more valuable or better than advantage or united miles?

For example, if I book domestic round trip with AA or united miles on aa.com or united.com, the miles saver is 25k miles plus $5 fee. But if I book same domestic round trip on BA site, it is 15K Avios plus $5. I just did a test booking chicago to ny roundtrip on BA site and it shows only 15k avios which is just 15k AA miles? 50k chase UR point is 50k british Avios? that is 3 round trips and 5k avios still left on BA site?
if i do it on aa or united.com it is only 2 round trips. I don't have any BA avios or BA card but I can use my Advantage miles on BA site and use just 15k miles for domestic round trip VS doing it directly at AA.com which costs 25k miles?

Should I transfer my chase UR points to BA and not United?

Thanks

ThePointsCollector May 9, 2012 5:50 pm

domestic US yes.. as long as you can find availability.

jimmy1 May 9, 2012 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian (Post 18545690)
domestic US yes.. as long as you can find availability.

I can use my Advantage miles on BA site and use just 15k miles for domestic round trip VS doing it directly at AA.com which costs 25k miles?

if i can save 10k aa miles just with that trick, this would be a HUGE savings of miles great new discovery for me!
Should I transfer my chase UR points to BA and not United? 50k chase UR point is 50k british Avios? that is 3 round trips and 5k avios still left on BA site?
if i do it on aa or united.com it is only 2 round trips

inY May 9, 2012 5:53 pm

Internationally, usually no due to fuel surcharge and summing over connections.

jpetekYXMD80 May 9, 2012 5:53 pm

They definitely have their use, particularly domestically, and particularly if you're near an AA hub and travel short-medium distances. With your other balances, some avios are definitely advantageous to have around. However, if you want to go to Europe in J with some great partner airlines and low surcharges, United all the way.

inY May 9, 2012 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18545701)
I can use my Advantage miles on BA site and use just 15k miles for domestic round trip VS doing it directly at AA.com which costs 25k miles?

You should keep your Chase UR until you need them to book a flight then transfer to whichever is cheapest/has availability for that specific flight.

benzemalyonnais May 9, 2012 6:05 pm

You need to look long and hard about where you travel, and the resulting connections on AA that are out of your preferred airport. Generally, one can afford a ticket to Chicago, so I wouldn't use that as the definitive way to assess your potential options here. If you're looking at it that way, I would never pay 25k miles for a $150 flight. I also wouldn't pay 15k for it either.

The objective is to find a high-cost, low-cost option, which is why so many people highlight the routes to Canada, even though I've seen $220 JFK-YYZ RT which would even bring into question the 4,500+75$ that BA does on this route.

jimmy1 May 9, 2012 6:07 pm

if i can save 10k aa miles just with that trick, this would be a HUGE savings of miles, great new discovery for me!
Should I transfer my chase UR points to BA and not United? 50k chase UR point is 50k british Avios? that is 3 round trips and 5k avios still left on BA site?
if i do it on aa or united.com it is only 2 round trips.

Raffles May 9, 2012 6:11 pm

You can't use AA miles onthe BA site.

You can use BA Avios on the BA site to book AA flights.

PanGalactic May 9, 2012 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 18545796)

Hey, what are you doing on here?

Get back to the beach! :D

To the OP: Make sure you look into the taxes before planning any travel to europe, especially London!

You have been warned!

jimmy1 May 9, 2012 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 18545796)

Oh! I have AA miles United miles and chase UR points but no British avios.

I thought BA is a one world partner and thus i can use my AA miles to book flights on BA site? that way 15k avios is only 15k miles?

mikelat May 9, 2012 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18545773)
if i can save 10k aa miles just with that trick, this would be a HUGE savings of miles, great new discovery for me!
if i do it on aa or united.com it is only 2 round trips.

No, your AA miles are redeemed per the AA award chart at AA.com or via AA Customer Serivice. They are not redeemed per the BA chart. You can only use Avios miles for the BA award levels.

Now, for the UR points, if you do a lot of short haul redemptions then transferring to Avios and redeeming via BA's site on AA flights is probably a better deal than doing United awards. I'm sure that the UR program will tell you what the exchange rate is for UR->Avios, just look it up on their website.

deltame May 9, 2012 6:18 pm

The answer to first question depends on the specific flights that you wish to redeem: using BA miles (e.g., to fly on AA) is better for short haul flights.

No, BA and AA are separate programs, and you'd using BA miles on BA site following BA redemption rules, and using AA miles on AA site (or by phone) following AA redemption rules. However, as BA/AA belong to the same alliance, you can use BA miles to fly AA or vice verse, but the redemption rules always follow the program/miles that you are redeeming from. As recommended by another poster, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18542795-post188.html, you really should invest time to study some basic FF rules for each program (in order to better take advantage of you miles).

Lastly, its usually better to keep UR points where they are until you are ready to make a specific redemption.

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18545688)
I don't have any BA avios or BA card but I can use my Advantage miles on BA site and use just 15k miles for domestic round trip VS doing it directly at AA.com which costs 25k miles?

Thanks

ThePointsCollector May 9, 2012 6:23 pm

I had 200K ba miles/avios.. Used them for trip to Santiago (4 people), and to Pensacola after they changed them to Avios. The total for 4 from dfw to pensacola was 36K avios. Best deal ever. Would have cost me 75K on AA.
Just got 4 more BA cards for my family :D

ffI May 9, 2012 6:25 pm

A mile may be a mile, but not really

A F class award on AA flight from IAD-HNL is <80k AA miles with a stop in LAX for as long as you want.
A F Class award on same AA flight is 150k BA Avios points/miles, as it prices as follows
IAD-LAX = 12.5k for economy x 3= 37.5k BA Avios
LAX-HNL is 12.5k for economy x 3= 37.5k BA Avios
So this takes 75k Avios just to get there.

But the same trip to HNL from LAX or SFO is less with BA
It is almost same in Biz, but 35k on AA, 25k on BA in economy
So if you are flying short hops on AA, BA miles are the way to go.
If economy as well, BA is cheaper.
Longer hops, in Biz/F = AA miles better usually.