FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   is British Avios more valuable than AA or United miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1344606-british-avios-more-valuable-than-aa-united-miles.html)

amolkold May 10, 12 12:26 am

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18547094)
even with $25 fee, the rate is not gonna be about the same right?
for example it is only 15k BA avios vs 25k aa miles.

AA and BA run different programs. Their miles and mileage charts have nothing to do with each other.

The only connection is that you can use AA miles to book on BA, and BA Avios to book on AA.

Whenever you book a flight, you use the chart of the airline whose miles you are using.

Paulchili May 10, 12 12:37 am

It doesn't matter how many times you twist this around - it won't work.
AA miles have to be redeemed at AA rates - that is 25K for domestic roundtrip in saver economy on AA anywhere within US (BA does not fly ORD to NYC). AA miles cannot be converted into Avios.
To use the 15K Avios rate that you love so much, you have to have Avios in your BA account (from your Chase UR) and then book it on BA.com for 15K (for your trip). If it's a longer trip or a connection, it will cost more in Avios than in AA miles.
Why do you want to waste ANY miles/Avios on cheap domestic economy ticket anyway? Use them for business/first class awards to faraway places that would cost thousands of $$$$. That's what I (and most savvy travelers here) do. Your 225K AA miles can practically take you around the world in business. It's your call.

deltame May 10, 12 12:40 am

OP, you are still missing the point. As many have told you point blank that (1) you cannot transfer between BA/AA (separate program), (2) if you redeem AA miles for award flights, whether the flight is operated by AA or BA or another partners, you pay according the redemption rate by AA. Similarly if you redeem BA miles, whether the flight is operated by AA or BA or CX or other partners you'd pay according to BA redemption rates.

In your specific case (for domestic flights), keep in mind that BA does not operate any flights within the US, so whatever FF program you choose (to pay for the flights traveling within US) the operating carrier will be AA (or AS). If you want spend AA miles, you'd pay 25K+ AA miles for round trip; if you want spend BA miles (to fly on AA or AS) the RT mileage requirement (according to BA redemption rules) might be <=25K BA miles depending on the distance you travel.

I think you would be benefit from (a) invest time to read/understand responses on FT (b) study the award redemption charts for AA (and BA) and UA that you have accumulated miles.

amolkold May 10, 12 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili (Post 18547169)
Why do you want to waste ANY miles/Avios on cheap domestic economy ticket anyway? Use them for business/first class awards to faraway places that would cost thousands of $$$$. That's what I (and most savvy travelers here) do. Your 225K AA miles can practically take you around the world in business. It's your call.

Actually, I'd say that Avios for domestic economy is still a good deal if it's a personal trip that you have to make and the cash price is too high. The Avios prices for international F and J are highly inflated now, and a lot of routes have fuel surcharges that reach 4 digits.

But yeah, I agree that AA miles are set up perfectly for international awards in F/J. I would never use them on a domestic route.

jimmy1 May 10, 12 12:57 am

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 18547213)
Actually, I'd say that Avios for domestic economy is still a good deal if it's a personal trip that you have to make and the cash price is too high. The Avios prices for international F and J are highly inflated now, and a lot of routes have fuel surcharges that reach 4 digits.

But yeah, I agree that AA miles are set up perfectly for international awards in F/J. I would never use them on a domestic route.

thanks for both opinions.

btw what is F and the J?

mnscout May 10, 12 1:03 am

Originally Posted by blase (Post 18546619)
If you want to take advantage of the 15k Avios rate for your domestic flight you'll need to have Avios in your BA account. Since you do not, but it sounds like you have Ultimate Rewards points, transfer 15k UR points into BA Avios and voila, you will have enough for your domestic round trip. And your AA miles will still be untouched and intact. :)

But don't transfer in more UR points than you need for your specific flight - no need to.

+1

Also, like other folks from BA forum pointed out to me when I got too excited with Avios, you can book with Avios only if there is AA milesaver award availability. If not, you can't use Avios on AA. In the meantime, the AA own site might and most often does have award seats available for AAdvantage miles at the higher rates.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Avios, but you need to know the facts.

mnscout May 10, 12 1:05 am

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18547236)

btw what is F and the J?

F is first and J is business.

amolkold May 10, 12 1:08 am

Originally Posted by mnscout (Post 18547260)
+1

Also, like other folks from BA forum pointed out to me when I got too excited with Avios, you can book with Avios only if there is AA milesaver award availability. If not, you can't use Avios on AA. In the meantime, the AA own site might and most often does have award seats available for AAdvantage miles at the higher rates.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Avios, but you need to know the facts.

That's an important tidbit to know, and it's not different from the industry norm. For any airline who has more than 1 award redemption tier, their partners can only book when that airline has availability at the lowest tier.

That's why Alaska Airlines miles can only be used on Delta if DL has low award availability. Or in this case, BA miles can only be used on AA if AA has low tier availability (milesAAver in AA parlance).

SocialAdept May 10, 12 1:23 am

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18547236)

btw what is F and the J?

Not trying to sound gruff but you need to spend more time using the search function and reading some of the FAQs rather than ask these very basic questions.

I recommend the book 'Decoding Air Travel' by Nicholas Kralev.

longhorn11 May 10, 12 1:34 am

Originally Posted by SocialAdept (Post 18547328)
Not trying to sound gruff but you need to spend more time using the search function and reading some of the FAQs rather than ask these very basic questions.

I recommend the book 'Decoding Air Travel' by Nicholas Kralev.

Many have given this exact same advice to the OP in his/her other threads. Again not trying to be rude, just agreeing that you should really research these things. Just like back in school, doing your own work/research is the only way to learn the subject.

Paulchili May 10, 12 10:25 am

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 18547213)

I agree - Avios can be useful under certain (limited) circumstances for short & direct flights - both US domestic (when $ price is high) and world-wide (Europe/Asia).
For example, I am looking for BGO-LHR award which is 4.5K Avios vs 10K AA miles.
Forget Avios for long haul international premium flights, especially if you don't live in a OW hub :td:

jimmy1 May 10, 12 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili (Post 18549349)
I agree - Avios can be useful under certain (limited) circumstances for short & direct flights - both US domestic (when $ price is high) and world-wide (Europe/Asia).
For example, I am looking for BGO-LHR award which is 4.5K Avios vs 10K AA miles.
Forget Avios for long haul international premium flights, especially if you don't live in a OW hub :td:

so forget BA thru AA or the avios if i want to book flight to india or nepal due to fuel surcharges?

amolkold May 10, 12 11:05 am

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18549444)
so forget BA thru AA or the avios if i want to book flight to india or nepal due to fuel surcharges?

Long haul prices to India are highly inflated, and you'll pay fuel surcharges flying on BA.

If you choose to route on CX, you'll still pay very high prices in terms of miles, not so much in terms of fuel surcharges. It's a bit of a tradeoff.

debwany24 May 10, 12 12:29 pm

how do you guys book U.S. domestic economy flights on BA.com? I just tried multiple airports but I don't get anything available in the results. am I doing something wrong???

guv1976 May 10, 12 12:35 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by debwany24
how do you guys book U.S. domestic economy flights on BA.com? I just tried multiple airports but I don't get anything available in the results. am I doing something wrong???

After logging into your BAEC account, are you including "partners" in your search, after being told that BA does not fly the route?

Have you found "MileSAAver" award availability on aa.com for your desired trip? Only MileSAAver award seats can be secured with Avios. And ba.com sometimes has difficulty correctly displaying AA award-seat availability, especially if a connection is required. For what itinerary are you looking?