FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   is British Avios more valuable than AA or United miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1344606-british-avios-more-valuable-than-aa-united-miles.html)

jimmy1 May 9, 2012 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 18545868)
A mile may be a mile, but not really

A F class award on AA flight from IAD-HNL is <80k AA miles with a stop in LAX for as long as you want.
A F Class award on same AA flight is 150k BA Avios points/miles, as it prices as follows
IAD-LAX = 12.5k for economy x 3= 37.5k BA Avios
LAX-HNL is 12.5k for economy x 3= 37.5k BA Avios
So this takes 75k Avios just to get there.

But the same trip to HNL from LAX or SFO is less with BA
It is almost same in Biz, but 35k on AA, 25k on BA in economy
So if you are flying short hops on AA, BA miles are the way to go.
If economy as well, BA is cheaper.
Longer hops, in Biz/F = AA miles better usually.

can't use AA miles to book domestic round trip flights on BA site?

on BA site it costs only 15k avios for domestic round trip, can I make it only 15k advantage miles for domestic round trip? AA.com wants 25k miles for domestic round trip which is 10k more than what is on BA site.

guv1976 May 9, 2012 6:47 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

No, you cannot use AA miles for anything on ba.com: not domestic U.S. flights, not domestic U.K. flights, and not international flights. You can only redeem AAdvantage miles at AA's redemption rates, and only at aa.com, or by phoning AA.

guv1976 May 9, 2012 6:51 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ffI
A mile may be a mile, but not really

A F class award on AA flight from IAD-HNL is <80k AA miles with a stop in LAX for as long as you want.
A F Class award on same AA flight is 150k BA Avios points/miles, as it prices as follows
IAD-LAX = 12.5k for economy x 3= 37.5k BA Avios
LAX-HNL is 12.5k for economy x 3= 37.5k BA Avios
So this takes 75k Avios just to get there.

But the same trip to HNL from LAX or SFO is less with BA
It is almost same in Biz, but 35k on AA, 25k on BA in economy
So if you are flying short hops on AA, BA miles are the way to go.
If economy as well, BA is cheaper.
Longer hops, in Biz/F = AA miles better usually.

AAdvantage awards for travel wholly within North America do not permit any stopovers. IAD-LAX (stopover) - HNL would require two awards, and would cost more AAdvantage miles than IAD-LAX (connection) - HNL.

jimmy1 May 9, 2012 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 18545970)

No, you cannot use AA miles for anything on ba.com: not domestic U.S. flights, not domestic U.K. flights, and not international flights. You can only redeem AAdvantage miles at AA's redemption rates, and only at aa.com, or by phoning AA.

transfer 15k AA miles to british and it comes 15k british avios? enough for domestic round trip on BA site?

guv1976 May 9, 2012 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by jimmy1

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 18545970)

transfer 15k AA miles to british and it comes 15k british avios? enough for domestic round trip on BA site?

You cannot transfer AA miles to BA; you cannot transfer BA Avios to AA.

You can redeem AA miles for travel on AA or its partners at AA's redemption rates, and subject to AA's rules and fees.

You can redeem BA Avios for travel on BA or any of its partners at BA's redemption rates, and subject to BA's rules and fees.

The same award flight might cost a different amount of miles and fees depending on whether you redeem AA miles, BA miles, LAN Pass kilometers, etc.

sshank May 9, 2012 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18545994)

Is this really that hard to understand?

ThePointsCollector May 9, 2012 8:23 pm

Really man?

belfordrocks May 9, 2012 8:26 pm

Rule of thumb is NO, unless you live in a Oneworld hub and ONLY fly domestically.

Otherwise you'd be insane to turn your valuable Chase UR points into Avios...

flymonthly May 9, 2012 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 18546414)
Rule of thumb is NO, unless you live in a Oneworld hub and ONLY fly domestically.

Otherwise you'd be insane to turn your valuable Chase UR points into Avios...

I don't live in a OW hub or only fly domestically, but I still find Avios points to be quite handy. They've saved me a ton of $s/points flying short haul in the US, Japan and Europe and even West Coast to Japan in F (yes the YQ was high, but my preferred airline in *A didn't have any availability). I wouldn't use Avios for my primary airline points program, but I wouldn't dismiss it out-of-hand either.

blase May 9, 2012 9:06 pm

If you want to take advantage of the 15k Avios rate for your domestic flight you'll need to have Avios in your BA account. Since you do not, but it sounds like you have Ultimate Rewards points, transfer 15k UR points into BA Avios and voila, you will have enough for your domestic round trip. And your AA miles will still be untouched and intact. :)

But don't transfer in more UR points than you need for your specific flight - no need to.

dhammer53 May 9, 2012 9:47 pm

Getting the BA credit card last year turned out to be a great idea.

Cashing in Avios for an AA award ticket:

- no bag fees
- priority boarding
- potentially less cost depending on the distance you're flying.
- no last minute booking fees

The BA credit card is #2 in my wallet these days after the Starwood Amex.

Disclaimer - I have plenty of AA and UA miles.

dh

pianistat May 9, 2012 10:15 pm

I used to hate the new redemption chart on Avios...
Untill...just booked a flight for a friend to meed me at NYC. His flight from Columbus to NYC in 2 weeks cost $479 plus. It cost me freaking 9000 avios and $5!! Same flight on reward booking on AA site cost 25000 plus $85 fees!!! Now I get the 25000 miles but the fee..ridiculous! I think I am going to keep my 41K Avios left miles for this kind of occasions.
By the way before my booking I asked my friend how much is this ticked worth to him and he said $250 (knowing how much will cost him otherwise). I said "deal"
Win-win!:D Gotta love our hobby.

jimmy1 May 9, 2012 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by pianistat (Post 18546909)
I used to hate the new redemption chart on Avios...
Untill...just booked a flight for a friend to meed me at NYC. His flight from Columbus to NYC in 2 weeks cost $479 plus. It cost me freaking 9000 avios and $5!! Same flight on reward booking on AA site cost 25000 plus $85 fees!!! Now I get the 25000 miles but the fee..ridiculous! I think I am going to keep my 41K Avios left miles for this kind of occasions.
By the way before my booking I asked my friend how much is this ticked worth to him and he said $250 (knowing how much will cost him otherwise). I said "deal"
Win-win!:D Gotta love our hobby.

how do i use aa miles to book flights on BA? this is one world partner right?

only way is call AA agent?

amolkold May 9, 2012 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by jimmy1 (Post 18546989)
how do i use aa miles to book flights on BA? this is one world partner right?

only way is call AA agent?

Yes, AA and BA are both in OneWorld.

As of last month, you can go to AA.com to book BA flights using AA miles. You can also call but will be charged a $25 fee over the phone.

jimmy1 May 9, 2012 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 18547026)
Yes, AA and BA are both in OneWorld.

As of last month, you can go to AA.com to book BA flights using AA miles. You can also call but will be charged a $25 fee over the phone.

even with $25 fee, the rate is not gonna be about the same right?
for example it is only 15k BA avios vs 25k aa miles.