Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are bloggers ruining Flyertalk????

Are bloggers ruining Flyertalk????

Old May 8, 2012, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss
I'd put money up that the people complaining on this thread also read the blogs everyday.
Not only do they read the Blogs and benefit from them,but how many would cough up the miles and points they were able to get as a result of reading an informative blog. Lets implement a claw back system or better still don't read them.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Any of them on Boarding Area or a well-known stand-alone blogger?
The Frequent Miler
The Points Guy
One Mile At A Time
TravelSort Blog
The Wandering Aramean

Edited to gray out TWA. I was under the mistaken impression that he was full-time in blogging and sister travel consulting business.

Last edited by HansGolden; May 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm
Old May 8, 2012, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I was chatting w/ another FTer a few weeks ago & she said that she was unsubscribing from a few blogs "because all they do is hawk credit card offers w/ links to get them $$; they rarely talk about other travel stuff". Truth be said, I have to agree w/ her*.

She also said that even if she learned about a deal from a blog, she'd probably go directly to the credit card co's site (if she was so inclined) vs. the blogger "since they all have links so why give one more bizness than the other".

* There are some blogs that do more than that, so it wasn't a total across the board comment, but she's right in that there are a bunch that do.

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
LOL, before I posted the OP, there were 2 groups that I thought would be completely against my argument:
1) Bloggers
2) People with FT post counts below 100

You happen to fall in both categories. How am I not shocked in the least that you don't agree with my perspective?

And how am I not shocked the only other person in this thread so far to strongly disagree with my perspective is also a blogger.
Spot on for 1) Bloggers, but off by about a decimal point for 2) #of posts - looks to be more like under 1k.

You hit the nail on the head! ^^^

Look for PM asking for a blog 'interview' very soon
Old May 8, 2012, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
I once upon a time read a few blogs, I no longer read any of them. I started out reading Flyertalk and got my info here and I'll continue to do so. It's unfortunate that some good info won't be shared due to the bloggers recycling it.

I personally believe if the information is posted on Flyertalk, the information is for people who read Flyertalk...Just like people who read Gucci forums and know when a limited Gucci item is coming out.

The blogs are basically yanking in people who want a quick easy deal and don't spend time understanding anything.

I do have to admit that I've come across some good fares and it's hard to post them, the bloggers do scare me. If I do post it, I'll have booked it first and taken the trip. If it is still alive then I'll post or I'll share it with people who have shared in the past.

I do wish that the Mileage Run forum had a post requirement or at least a user registration requirement with a 10+ post count.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we can hope that the copycats will stop after they fail to get rich

OTOH, since getting rich has been established (although duration/timing cant be copied...) there might be no end to the copycats, as this is just one example of "current internet trends"
Old May 8, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
FT is doing a good job of ruining itself by not requiring you to be logged in or have a minimum post count to see the best deals, i.e. mistake fares.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Internet Brands owns BoardingArea? Last time I checked, that wasn't the case.
Correct, though they do own some of the blogs, namely FTG and The Gate.

Originally Posted by skchin
How about just restricting mileage run thread to say min. 500 posts?
There have been a number of "jumbos" which came from members with very few posts. You're talking about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I'm pretty sure some Guys have blogging as their full time job, with quality suffering as a result.
A few do. Most do not.
Originally Posted by HansGolden
The Frequent Miler
The Points Guy
One Mile At A Time
TravelSort Blog
The Wandering Aramean
Not at all true. It is not my real job and it is not my primary source of income. Nowhere close. I spend a ton of time on it and on my tools, some weeks as much as I do on my real job, but I actually run a real company, not just a blog /tools site.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL KM (charter)
Originally Posted by krpjr
I do wish that the Mileage Run forum had a post requirement or at least a user registration requirement with a 10+ post count.
+1 ^
Old May 8, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
The Frequent Miler
The Points Guy
One Mile At A Time
TravelSort Blog
The Wandering Aramean
And you know these are full-time bloggers how?
You've seen their financials?
Old May 8, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I was chatting w/ another FTer a few weeks ago & she said that she was unsubscribing from a few blogs "because all they do is hawk credit card offers w/ links to get them $$; they rarely talk about other travel stuff". Truth be said, I have to agree w/ her*.

She also said that even if she learned about a deal from a blog, she'd probably go directly to the credit card co's site (if she was so inclined) vs. the blogger "since they all have links so why give one more bizness than the other".

* There are some blogs that do more than that, so it wasn't a total across the board comment, but she's right in that there are a bunch that do.

Cheers.
I'm female but not the person who said that specifically. There are blogs I don't read because of the volume of credit card posts, but I'll read trip reports from anyone.

I would give a referral to a blog if that blog had actually helped me.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
Credit card referrals have become a cancer on travel blogs. I'm afraid that it has metastasized and there is no hope of a cure.

I realize it is unlikely, but I'd like to see Randy ban credit card referral links on any blog that appears on BoardingArea.
I'm sure he would consider doing that if you and other like-minded individuals considered paying for the content out of your own pocket. Why don't you start a blog and convince others that the internet does not necessarily have to be free?
Old May 8, 2012, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We can't stop the blogging train and crying over spilt milk has never increased one's productivity. The successful FT'ers have already adapted and still have a rich repertoire of private deals.[/LIST]
Yup, for better or worse, the blogs feel like "progress" to me. We're not going to be able to turn back the hands of time and return to the "good old days."

And those days weren't ALWAYS so good. Look, I'm as "victimized" by the bloggers as anybody. Like I was one of the first Flyertalkers to "discover" the value of the Discover America offers a few years ago. At that time, I was practically begging my fellow Flyertalkers to go buy a few points (it actually seemed like the promo might be cancelled for lack of interest!). Now, if I don't click in the first 1/10th of one second after a deal goes live, I get nothing. I am certain that much of the competition comes from the often-silly "how to" guides posted on the numerous blogs ("look, you can make $24 by converting those points to Rapid Rewards!").

But I also get tips from the bloggers that I might have missed; you can't following EVERYTHING. Like I remember reading on Gary's blog last year that CapitalOne would give me an additional $1000 sign-up bonus for a business Venture card, too. CapitalOne was quickly running out of money for that promo and, without that tip, it's unlikely I would have gotten that extra $1000.

So it is what it is. I'm not convinced that it's more bad than good; just different. Meanwhile, if Hans or anyone else wants to share a really good private deal with me, they will earn my unwaivering gratitude -- and I promise to keep that deal away from the pesky bloggers.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mommy Points
Trips don't have to be to Paris, Rome, etc. They can be to visit grandma. They can be to Disney. They can be to see the Redwoods. The can be to put your feet in the ocean. In fact, due to my kid's age, that is the sort of trip we make and she loves it. If someone is able to visit family three times a year instead of one as a result of miles and points then that is a victory in my book. However, when my daughter is older (though still a "child") those other places will have more meaning, and will be our destinations. I blog for families, because that is where I am in life right now. The deals I talk about are more or less the same as on other sites, but where I am coming from and where I can relate best are family trips. In fact, that is one thing I love about the variety of blogs available. If you choose, you can find one that matches your traveling patterns and preferences. Or of course, you can stick with forums.

One thing that we all seem to have in common here is that miles and points are very important to use for our own reasons. Of course those reasons differ from person to person, but we all want to see deals survive whenever possible. We also all presumably enjoy working together with a collective community be it on blogs, forums, or small private groups. I believe that we are all smarter and more informed as a result of those communities, and look forward to continue helping (and receiving help) from anyone who is interested.
I really appreciate your sincere and well thought out posts and especially in this thread where some just want to take pot-shots. Though I mentioned that I don't think things should be spoon-fed, I find it disturbing seeing several posts that insinuate that families should be less "worthy" of experiencing award travel. Just wanted to express my support and appreciation for your posts here and express that not everyone here takes such a view of entitlement.

Originally Posted by jpdx
I think there are two different factors at play.

First, the blogs kill deals that used to be well hidden. This is pretty much incontrovertible and there for anyone to see (if you spend the time to read through some old threads). Read some threads from 2006 about churning or account funding, a 2007 thread about TYPs (the original version, where 60k points could yield a $9k ticket), the 2008 DL Budget rentals, Shutterfly in 2005 ... these were deals that were lucrative beyond-your-wildest-dreams, but things were kept quiet. If you asked an inquisitive question about churning, someone would PM you and ask you to edit your post, and you'd make friends you exchanged information with in private. It all changed, I'm not sure when and why, but secrecy is no more. Deals that were going on for years were killed overnight. Good men may disagree about what's better, secrecy or openness, and we can argue until we turn blue whether it's better for a select few to use a deal for years or thousands of people for a few days. But will this killing of deals damage FT? Probably not, although a case can probably be made that with every bright mind and knowledgeable poster wandering off to a private forum, FT loses out (and make no mistake, this is happening very frequently).

But second, and more importantly, there has been a significant change in the way content is created and discussed on FT. Think, for instance, about the current Radisson promo. In the past, this would have created a huge buzz on FT, with rich discussions. Now, it's essentially, "blog A says this" (often, this is posted by owner of blog A), "blog B says that," and there's very little discussion on FT. It takes place elsewhere, or not at all, because mommy or secrets, or whoever they are posts an "idiot's guide" with colorful illustration. And this effect, which has become more noticeable over the past few months, is threatening to FT, and I am greatly concerned about it.
Yes, I'd agree that it's incontrovertible that bloggers kill deals. I love the reference to those great deals of the past, but I'm not so sure that all of those historical deals you mentioned were killed by bloggers as much as by fters. I think the recent explosion in number of bloggers is concerning in terms of deal-killing but there have been plenty on FT that manage to kill the deals just fine without blogger help.

I do think you have a great point about potential "brain-drain" but again, I believe that would happen to some extent even without the bloggers magnifying things.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I'd suggest let's all not use blogger's referral link when applying credit cards. I never used any blogger's referral link. Without the lucrative referral income, I bet a lot of them will stop/reduce postings soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.