Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account. Net new assets are defined as an individuals external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage miles to be posted to your AAdvantage account. Your Fidelity Account must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Old May 2, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by webazoid
can u open it up in a branch? is there a 1099?
No idea of signing up at a branch; though this may/could cause an extra set of eyes on your account as you will have someone assigned to you. This may be something you want if the funds will be used for investing versus revolving deposits.

No 1099 for 2011 on the airline miles, 2012 is undetermined.
Most likely 1099 for the apple promotion, though it is under the $600 threshold so its anyone's guess as its fido's discretion at that point.

Good luck.

Bring on summer...
Old May 2, 2012, 6:56 am

Don't know about the 1099...

But one of the financial agents at our local branch calls our house at least once a week, trying to get hubby to make an appointment and come in and discuss investment strategies...I guess they can see hubby has parked the 100K there and it's doing nothing.

As pcharles says, it's just another set of unnecessary eyes to worry about.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by webazoid
can u open it up in a branch? is there a 1099?
I opened mine online, made the deposit/stock transfer in the branch office - don't know about the 1099.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:53 am

So after the first offer UA when you sign up for DL or Apple, do you choose the open new account option or fund existing account?
Old May 2, 2012, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by hqly2001
So after the first offer UA when you sign up for DL or Apple, do you choose the open new account option or fund existing account?
Previously, people have said "fund existing." I don't think it matters. Fidelity is going to put both accts under the same username, at least in my case. I chose new brokerage acct for the UA offer, and it linked it with an old retirement acct I had forgotten about from an old job. lol.
Old May 2, 2012, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ducati
Previously, people have said "fund existing." I don't think it matters. Fidelity is going to put both accts under the same username, at least in my case. I chose new brokerage acct for the UA offer, and it linked it with an old retirement acct I had forgotten about from an old job. lol.
And you still got all your miles right?
Old May 2, 2012, 6:46 pm

Guys, I have done both options over the past 2 weeks, and now Fido isn't giving credit for the second attempt/account. Read the past few pages of posts.

It just isn't happening anymore, Fido's IT guys have rewritten the program (as of April 12th) and it's catching those 2nd tries. I think it's based on SSN#.

If you are an existing Fido customer who hasn't taken advantage of any offers in the past 12 months, then you are eligible for the "fund existing account" option. Otherwise, the limit of one account per person per "year" is being enforced.

Nobody on this forum has yet found a deviation.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:13 pm

Wow! Enlightening. Needed an anvil to drop on someone's head. But helpful to those who do not wish to actually READ threads. (which is growing it seems)

Big help. Thanks.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:39 pm

Yes. Just to clear up any confusion, I only applied for the UA promo. Your questions regarding the apple gift card should be posted in the other thread in the S.P.A.M. forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...cards-etc.html.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:43 pm

Opened new account using the UA bonus. Deposited 25k on 4/30/2012. No miles have yet to post.

I was originally planning on cycling the 25k to get the full 50k miles, but not so sure anymore after hearing people have been blocked from moving money in and out. Any advice on what to do?
Old May 3, 2012, 8:04 am

Cycling?

I've read the thread and can't seem to get a definitive answer. I don't have $100k to put in. Does cycling $20 or $25k through still work?
Old May 3, 2012, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
I've read the thread and can't seem to get a definitive answer. I don't have $100k to put in. Does cycling $20 or $25k through still work?
It really sounds like the cycling is done - gotta keep the money there. That's what's been suggested by many, and I'm updating the first post to reflect that now.

Of course, should anyone show cycling to continue to produce miles/points/gift cards, please PM me.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by elizadoo
Guys, I have done both options over the past 2 weeks, and now Fido isn't giving credit for the second attempt/account. Read the past few pages of posts.

It just isn't happening anymore, Fido's IT guys have rewritten the program (as of April 12th) and it's catching those 2nd tries. I think it's based on SSN#.

If you are an existing Fido customer who hasn't taken advantage of any offers in the past 12 months, then you are eligible for the "fund existing account" option. Otherwise, the limit of one account per person per "year" is being enforced.

Nobody on this forum has yet found a deviation.
Same here

Thank you for contacting Fidelity Investments via email. I am happy to check the status of the Apple promotion for you.

Upon calling our promotions group, I found that you initially signed up for the Delta Airlines SkyMiles promotion about a week prior to signing up for the Apple gift card offer. Unfortunately, we are only able to fulfill one offer per customer per deposit of funds and since you signed up for the Delta SkyMiles offer first, this is the promotion that you will receive. In about four to six weeks you can expect 50,000 miles to be deposited into your SkyMiles account
Old May 3, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
It really sounds like the cycling is done - gotta keep the money there. That's what's been suggested by many, and I'm updating the first post to reflect that now.

Of course, should anyone show cycling to continue to produce miles/points/gift cards, please PM me.
It doesn't sound at all like cycling is done. Multiple people have posted in this thread during April that cycled and got their 50k miles.

It definitely sounds like double dipping on Airline promotions is done.
Old May 3, 2012, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by compddd
It doesn't sound at all like cycling is done. Multiple people have posted in this thread during April that cycled and got their 50k miles.

It definitely sounds like double dipping on Airline promotions is done.
If the cycling is still operational, multiples can still be in play. If cycling is dead, then there is a greater expense added to the equation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.