Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account. Net new assets are defined as an individuals external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage miles to be posted to your AAdvantage account. Your Fidelity Account must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Old May 18, 2015, 3:52 pm

How Long To Post Bonus?

I just opened a new Fidelity account and transferred 100K in stock to the account. The info says to allow 8 wks for AA points to post. Does anyone know how long it takes for Delta Skymiles points to post?

Last edited by krawfo; May 18, 2015 at 4:47 pm
Old May 19, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat75, MR Plat, UA Silver, GE/NEXUS
Originally Posted by krawfo
I just opened a new Fidelity account and transferred 100K in stock to the account. The info says to allow 8 wks for AA points to post. Does anyone know how long it takes for Delta Skymiles points to post?
Just a metric: I've been in since 4/13 and haven't got mine posted yet although I chose AA. Probably about the same.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
My UA miles posted in 10 days after the funding.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:33 am

Is there any bonus miles for Fidelity retirement account? I am thinking of rollover my 401K to Fidelity.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Haha, I just got rejected, requesting my third (or 4th?) bonus. I've dutifully waited the 12 months, but no dice.

Here's what they said first:

Thank you for contacting Fidelity Investments about the United Airlines and American Airlines promotions. I hope that you are doing well today and it is my pleasure to assist you.
At this time, you are not eligible to enroll in either of these mileage promotions. However, if you call Fidelity's Promotions Team at 800-343-3548, we would be happy to take a closer look at your account and discuss other offers and potential exceptions.

I then wrote back and said I'm traveling abroad an it's not convenient to call and I'd like to request an exception and ask why I'm not eligible.

Their response:

Thank you for your reply.

Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity will make promotional offers on an invitation basis based on the overall relationship a customer has with Fidelity.

While we can not be specific on the criteria to receive an invitation, I can tell you that Fidelity reviews promotional offers on an individual basis.

I hope this information proves helpful. We genuinely appreciate you placing your trust in us for your investment needs. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any future questions or comments.

I call BS on this because these are not invitation only invites, they are publicly advertised on United and Fidelity's websites.

Thy really should just say why they are denying it. Like, "We've given it to you three times before and you don't seem to be adding much other money to your account any more, and you're not trading a lot, you're just adding a lot of cash and drawing it down." I could handle that.

It's just weird customer service for them to refuse to give a reason. Imagine if you walk into a restaurant and order the $8.99 lunch special listed on the chalk board and the waiter says "Oh, we're serving that to other customers but you can't order that and we won't tell you why." It would probably leave a sour taste in your mouth.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Haha, I just got rejected... sour taste in your mouth.
The same is really true for anything. E.g. you can apply for a credit card (those are certainly "publicly advertised" websites with the tons of email, US mail, web ads, billboards, TV ads, that you see everyday) and still get rejected. You can apply for a job, even if they contacted you first, and get rejected. You can even ask someone on a date, who you know is looking, and get rejected.

So you can apply to whatever you want, but if you don't fit their criteria, then tough luck.
Old May 25, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
I have stock security at FIDO worth $129k.
Can I transfer this to E-TRADE where I have an existing account and get $500 credit? How long must it be held?

Then I would like to transfer back to FIDO and end of term to qualify for AA miles, if possible.

Possible?

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer
Year ago transferred from ETrade to new Fidel acct specifically for bonus.
Couple days ago initiated transfer all (~$120K) from Fidel back to ETrade.
Delighted to learn ETrade offers $500 credit on $100K-199K transfer if
60 days later there is still transferred amount added to ETrade acct.

(50K miles + $500) + (50K miles + $500) + (50K miles + $500) + (50K miles + $500) + .....
14-month churn is what
I'M THINKIN' LINCOLN!!!
Old May 25, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Haha, I just got rejected, requesting my third (or 4th?) bonus. I've dutifully waited the 12 months, but no dice.
Wait a few weeks and try again. That's what I did after being denied. Was approved a few weeks later. YMMV.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
E-Trade rep on phone told me only $300 for $100-$199K.
Claimed it need to stay in only 3 months(90 days) but they prefer 6 months in account(180 days).
No fees to transfer stock in or out.....E-trade claims!

UPDATE:
Special solicitation offer in April targeted me for $500 cash award so I did get the $500 offer.

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer
Year ago transferred from ETrade to new Fidel acct specifically for bonus.
Couple days ago initiated transfer all (~$120K) from Fidel back to ETrade.
Delighted to learn ETrade offers $500 credit on $100K-199K transfer if
60 days later there is still transferred amount added to ETrade acct.

(50K miles + $500) + (50K miles + $500) + (50K miles + $500) + (50K miles + $500) + .....
14-month churn is what
I'M THINKIN' LINCOLN!!!

Last edited by euromannn; Jun 8, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:25 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IMH
I was expecting one of our family's accounts to become eligible again in April, but it still isn't. I'll continue to check every week or so.
Update: six weeks later this family member still couldn't sign up online. After an online chat Fidelity caller her and told her she'll be registered manually. No email confirmation yet, but in the past that's not been problematic.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
Just registered online and funded 100K for the United offer. I believe this must be 4th time. I always waited the required time and played by the rules. No trading at all, keep only cash...I know I have to figure out more profitable strategy in the future. This time I may not hold the money the whole 9 months as I got to find a better way to invest my money...

P.S. Nothing new, but just to mention that their 12 monts clock is very exact! So wait for a complete year to pass starting from the date you see your miles posted, and apply 1 year plus one day later.

Last edited by pianistat; Jun 14, 2015 at 9:42 am
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA/AA
Exactly, my recent experience also. they require the full 12 months from the date your miles posted previously before you can apply again.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:48 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pianistat
their 12 monts clock is very exact! So wait for a complete year to pass starting from the date you see your miles posted, and apply 1 year plus one day later.
This is true to the extent that you certainly won't be able to register online any earlier than a full year after miles last posted from the offer, but it isn't the whole story. Many have reported not being able to register even after that year has passed.

At one time it looked as though waiting until the calendar month after miles last posted might be enough. My most recent data point is a family member who last received miles in the first week of April 2014. As of two days ago she was still not able to register again online.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: UA/AA
May I suggest picking up the phone and speaking with a real person ? It may resolve the situation rather promptly.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:53 am

They do seem very exact. I tried to register exactly a year after my deposit, have to wait until exactly a year after the miles posted which is about 10 days later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.