Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account. Net new assets are defined as an individuals external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage miles to be posted to your AAdvantage account. Your Fidelity Account must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:10 am

Did they tell you how far back they look?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PlanoFlyer
so if you transfer money OUT of Fidelity well BEFORE you sign up for the promo, they apparently do a "look back" and net that out of your inbound transfer. I w/drew a negligible amount (10k) from Fidelity (for another purpose). A week or so later, read about the promo, signed up and transferred 100k in. They only counted it as 90k. Their own rules define net asset value as of close of business eastern time and doesn't mention an arbitrary look back. Sadly, I have had my Fidelity accounts since the 80's! (YES, over 25 years, and this may have me think twice about keeping open after 6 mos).
It has not changed that Fidelity treats new customers far better than those who have stuck around with Fido for decades. It is just sad. It is not like in the 80's and 90's when it was either Fido or Schwab... Over the years Fido's services have gone downhill while other viable competitors have been growing strong. There is no longer much advantage to stick with Fido.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i did the 100K transfer to get 50K miles. i started on aug 1. i think we are no closer than when i started. i got my first phone call returned within 24 hrs. i have sent them the forms for myself and my wife 2 times(for 2 forms). i would never consider using these guys as a real broker. if treatment is going to go downhill once i become a real customer, i cannot believe how bad it will become.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:31 pm

Update: I emailed the exec office and got a reply in about 1 week. They acknowledged the 2nd rep gave me inaccurate info and offered to give me my miles if i redeposit the funds so (fingers crossed) it will work this time around

Originally Posted by jh811
thanks everyone, will try emailing exec office and report back results
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:13 am

I spoke with Fidelity about this look back issue, and they confirmed that they do indeed take into account how much you withdrew prior to signing up for the offer, but they refused to tell me how far back they look.
This kind of additional undisclosed restriction on the offer seems a bit on the illegal side. I hope someone else can get a different answer.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:47 am

Nothing new here relative to what's already been reported, but another data point. Opened an new account in July 2011, deposited $100K (did not cycle). Got 50K AA and Delta, then withdrew all but $500. Just did the AA 50K for existing accounts and deposited $100K. Got the "type of account is not eligible email". Called and they said that message can mean lots of things. They reviewed my account and said the message was because I got the AA offer last summer, but that it had been more than 12 months so I was eligible again.

I was reminded that I needed to keep the funding in the account for 6 months
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:39 pm

I know it varies...but how quickly is everyone's miles posting? Actual 6-8 weeks...or faster? A few posts back someone mentioned that his miles posted in 2 weeks...is this the norm?

Thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by lilpooh108
I know it varies...but how quickly is everyone's miles posting? Actual 6-8 weeks...or faster? A few posts back someone mentioned that his miles posted in 2 weeks...is this the norm?

Thanks.
Mine (Delta) took almost 4 weeks.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:12 am

Can I leave the money in the Cash Management account or do I actually have to put the money somewhere for 6 months (ie, CD)?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Robl
Mine (Delta) took almost 4 weeks.
Thanks.

For anyone else wondering....I did a live chat w/a Fidelity rep for other questions and they mentioned that regular posting should take 2-3 weeks. We'll see what actually happens.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i transfered stocks and mutual funds. those were acceptable, i think. we are 25 days into this fiasco, and the idiots(choose stronger word) have not yet completed the transfer. i have submitted the same paper work to them. think i am up to 9 times. there is no problem with etrade sending the stocks, these idiots just cannot shoot straight. if they think they are winning customers with this promo, they better think again.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:46 pm

It seems like this deal is mainly attracting people who have no intention of investing at Fidelity and just want their money back as soon as possible. That's fine, but I have a question for those of you who are actually Fidelity customers:

Has anyone who has over $100k invested in their Fidelity account tried taking it out (capital gains, whatever) and re-depositing it back in for this promotion? Or better yet, just call them, threaten to do this, and get the miles without doing anything? That's what I'd like to do and I'd like to hear if anyone else has done that.

Based on this quote it seems that there is some unspecified period where we cannot do this:

Originally Posted by PlanoFlyer
so if you transfer money OUT of Fidelity well BEFORE you sign up for the promo, they apparently do a "look back" and net that out of your inbound transfer. I w/drew a negligible amount (10k) from Fidelity (for another purpose). A week or so later, read about the promo, signed up and transferred 100k in. They only counted it as 90k. Their own rules define net asset value as of close of business eastern time and doesn't mention an arbitrary look back. Sadly, I have had my Fidelity accounts since the 80's! (YES, over 25 years, and this may have me think twice about keeping open after 6 mos).
Anyone have any information on what this might be exactly?

By the way, for all you deal-seekers out there: Fidelity is not some shady company trying to keep your money. They are a legit brokerage firm and they actually have great products. Moreover, investing your money for retirement (not earning 0.01% on your cash) is important. The Fidelity cash management account is a checking account with free checks and an ATM card that reimburses all ATM and forex fees. The Fidelity Amex is a card that gives you a straight 2% return on all your purchases. Both are free with no annual fee when you have a brokerage account. Tell me what bank or credit card company offers that in today's world?

I honestly have no idea why everyone is in such a rush to get their money out of Fidelity. I just sock it in there as soon as possible whenever I have extra cash on hand.

Last edited by mizzao; Aug 23, 2012 at 8:52 pm
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lilpooh108
Can I leave the money in the Cash Management account or do I actually have to put the money somewhere for 6 months (ie, CD)?
I leave mine in the Cash Management account when they are not in use.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andrew Mao
It seems like this deal is mainly attracting people who have no intention of investing at Fidelity and just want their money back as soon as possible. That's fine, but I have a question for those of you who are actually Fidelity customers:

Has anyone who has over $100k invested in their Fidelity account tried taking it out (capital gains, whatever) and re-depositing it back in for this promotion? Or better yet, just call them, threaten to do this, and get the miles without doing anything? That's what I'd like to do and I'd like to hear if anyone else has done that.

By the way, for all you deal-seekers out there: Fidelity is not some shady company trying to keep your money. They are a legit brokerage firm and they actually have great products. Moreover, investing your money for retirement (not earning 0.01% on your cash) is important. The Fidelity cash management account is a checking account with free checks and an ATM card that reimburses all ATM and forex fees. The Fidelity Amex is a card that gives you a straight 2% return on all your purchases. Both are free with no annual fee when you have a brokerage account. Tell me what bank or credit card company offers that in today's world?

I honestly have no idea why everyone is in such a rush to get their money out of Fidelity. I just sock it in there as soon as possible whenever I have extra cash on hand.
Threatening would NOT work if this is what you are thinking. If you dont have extra fund to spare, then do the move out more discretely and then let enough time passed before you try to sign up for the offer again.

I use the Cash Management ATM card aboard all the time. It is this one and the Schwab's for all our cash needs when travel internationally.

Fido is an OK company but it does not seem to value existing customers' loyalty unless you are a very active trader. Even that, you would still need to argue with them on trades from time to time.

BTW, invest for one's retirement does not necessarily mean to sock one's extra cash to Fido whenever one could... if mutual funds are your way of invest, there are other fund families perform better than Fido's. if equity being the vehicle, there are better discount brokerage firms than Fido. Fido simply is one of the oldest, most established back from the old days when discount brokerage first caught on. It has gained control for over 50% of this country's 401K management. However for those individuals who are actively managed their own investments, Fido definitely is NOT the best choice.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 23, 2012 at 9:00 pm
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:00 pm

In March my spouse and I opened and funded a joint account using my spouses frequent flyer numbers for 50K AA and 50K Delta miles. I am wondering if I am now able to open my own account (note: Spouse is listed first under joint account) and use my frequent flyer number to credit the miles to. If I am unable to do this could I remove myself from the joint account first and then try to open an individual account to obtain the mileage bonus?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.