Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jh811
Another data point: Failed Story

Got the promo last yr (> 12 months since AA miles posted)
Signed up mid july- got email saying i was ineligible. called in and had a rep override it and say ok i am eligible
Deposited $100K. called in today to ask about miles and they said i was not eligible b/c i didnt leave my funds in there long enough last time)

Oh well, win some/lose some
You may want to send a email to Fidelity Executive Office at [email protected] explaining your situation before giving up. It is a different team of people who are quite helpful compared to the regular CSRs.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another data point: Failed Story

Got the promo last yr (> 12 months since AA miles posted)
Signed up mid july- got email saying i was ineligible. called in and had a rep override it and say ok i am eligible
Deposited $100K. called in today to ask about miles and they said i was not eligible b/c i didnt leave my funds in there long enough last time)

Oh well, win some/lose some
Originally Posted by josephstern
Just to be clear, when you called, you said had the funds in for this second attempt?

If so, that means that their first override really was meaningless, which is a troubling data point.
Yes i had deposited $100K a few weeks ago for this go around but the reason i do not qualify this year was b/c i pulled my cashout early LAST YEAR when i received the AA bonus. And yes, it seems the first override was meaningless...
I have been saying all along - the early participants of the promo under new rules got away from last year's double dip / triple dip as well as not leaving the funds per T&Cs. However as time worn on, and with each sign up requires human review due to the system's design is to auto-reject basically everyone and anyone who has had bonus before - more and more scrutiny has been done and I bet you there are some "Ah Huh" moments and the @:-) goes on when looking at account histories...

This fail story is not the first one reported - upthread a few weeks ago there was already at least one fail story due to previous double dip.

Still this is troublesome because unlike previous fail stories that people deposited new funds BEFORE getting an override approval, this one got an override approval before deposing new funds, and then Fidelity turned around to say No. I think this is NOT right. If last year's violation of T&Cs would disqualify you to participate for this year (or for any future promo for that matter), Fido should make it clear on the first occasion when being asked.

OP this is worth to complain to the Executive Office.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:00 pm

thanks everyone, will try emailing exec office and report back results
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by josephstern
Just to be clear, when you called, you said had the funds in for this second attempt?

If so, that means that their first override really was meaningless, which is a troubling data point.
Was there a length of time the funds had to stay in the account for the bonus to be given in Fidelity's T&C? I know TD will give half the points/miles initially and the rest after 6 months if the funds have remained in the account.

Is the current requirement that funds have to stay a set time (eg. 6 months) for this offer to be used again in 12+ months on another airline?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Time traveller
Was there a length of time the funds had to stay in the account for the bonus to be given in Fidelity's T&C? I know TD will give half the points/miles initially and the rest after 6 months if the funds have remained in the account.

Is the current requirement that funds have to stay a set time (eg. 6 months) for this offer to be used again in 12+ months on another airline?
Yes on both. 6 months. But Fido has not enforced it in the past when people were cycling funds to make the total deposit amount. Now such history has become a factor when reviewing current promotion sign up.

The wordings of 6 months are in the offer itself if you go read it.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Amex Plat
Data Point: Deposited $25K in mid July. 15k AA miles hit my account on 7/27. Withdrew money yesterday (leaving $0.14 in the account). No clawback yet, but will monitor for a few weeks & report back.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:16 pm

I am still looking for places to circulate securities around towards repeating this offer. I found this from the eTrade:

Credits for cash or securities will be made based on net deposits of new funds or securities from external accounts made within 45 days of account open, as follows: $250,000 or more will receive $500; $100,000-$249,999 will receive $250; $50,000-$99,999 will receive $100; $25,000-$49,999 will receive $50. Your account will be credited within one week of the close of the 45-day window.

So it appears one could move 100K of securities into here after 6 months in fidelity and make another $250. Then 6 months later move it back to fidelity and make 50K airline miles again. (Sorry if this has been discussed, I haven't read the entire thread.)

Are there any other banks with good promos for rotating in securities? I'd rather rotate among 3 banks than ping pong back and forth between 2.

Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Merrill Edge (Bank of America) offering a $500 brokerage bonus after you deposit $200,000 or more into a new brokerage account or when you rollover or transfer an old IRA from other firms to Merrill Edge.

or $250 bonus for 100k deposit
or $100 bonus for $25k deposit
or $50 bonus for $10k deposit.

http://www.merrilledge.com/m/pages/i..._offer_RHC.jpg
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:15 pm

Yet another data point. Wife and I did the double dip of AA and Delta 50k 1 year ago. Withdrew 90% of funds after 1 month. Applied 7/11 for this years Delta offer (one year anniversary plus 1 day) and got dinged. Called and was told they would manually override it. Deposited 100K. No miles posted so last week I called again and was told they had not done a manual override but they would do it and it would be another 4 weeks before I received the miles. However 3 days later the full 50k miles posted! I plan to withdraw the money and put it now in the wife's account and try for more Delta miles.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:33 pm

Is the rolling 12 month period from the last mileage bonus received? I applied for Delta and AA, but 3 months apart. Should I wait 12 months from the 1st mileage bonus or second?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by hamburglar
Is the rolling 12 month period from the last mileage bonus received? I applied for Delta and AA, but 3 months apart. Should I wait 12 months from the 1st mileage bonus or second?
The 2nd obviously? Otherwise it's only been 9 months since your last promo...
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Robl
Yet another data point. Wife and I did the double dip of AA and Delta 50k 1 year ago. Withdrew 90% of funds after 1 month. Applied 7/11 for this years Delta offer (one year anniversary plus 1 day) and got dinged. Called and was told they would manually override it. Deposited 100K. No miles posted so last week I called again and was told they had not done a manual override but they would do it and it would be another 4 weeks before I received the miles. However 3 days later the full 50k miles posted! I plan to withdraw the money and put it now in the wife's account and try for more Delta miles.
My suspicion is that if you withdraw the money soon, you won't see a clawback of the miles, but you won't be eligible again next year. So it might pay to leave the money a while if you think you might want another shot in 12 months.

No hard data here, but just based on watching the posts in this thread . . .
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:22 pm

Yes but I need the money to put in my wife's account and after that to put back in BD for the AA miles. Your point is well taken but there is also a chance there won't even be a program next summer.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Yes but I need the money to put in my wife's account and after that to put back in BD for the AA miles. Your point is well taken but there is also a chance there won't even be a program next summer.
Exactly my cycling plan as well. Get the miles that are on offer now. Planning for next year's miles based on current promotions is a poor idea.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there is no linkage whatsoever between yours and your wife's account, go for it to pull the money out and use for your wife's account.

You may be the first ones to tell the thread whether Fido would claw back bonus or not, under the new scheme. I am sure the thread is all eager to learn about the verdict a few months from now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.