Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account. Net new assets are defined as an individuals external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage miles to be posted to your AAdvantage account. Your Fidelity Account must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA,CO,SPG
Originally Posted by womanofaction
Important Data Point!!!

My account has been blocked from further money transfers (both into and out of my account - in other words, cycling).

I opened the account in early April, cycled $20K 2 times, and then my account was frozen. The only way to unlock it and get money out was to call, so I did, and they told me that I have to write a letter to their "risk" department explaining why I moved large sums of money into and out of the account.
Thats crazy...Are you sure you waited until the money showed up as "available to withdraw"?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by bringmehome
I recently opened up a Fidelity account, deposited $25,500 (all of which cleared today and is available for trading) and still no miles to my United account. How long is this going to take?
Who knows. I'm coming up on two weeks since hitting 100k, and not a single mile has hit my UA acct.

Last edited by Ducati; Apr 26, 2012 at 11:50 pm
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
my initial 25k delta miles posted by 4/1, but the rest 25k is no where to be seen.. seems indeed the good old time is over..
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:27 am

It seems there are three companies (Ameritrade, eTrade, Fidelity) competing for the same business. If there's a bonus that interests me, I usually call the company and see if they'll award me the points or miles based on adding money or securities. That's what I did with the Fidelity AA offer, though Fidelity has been slower than usual in awarding the miles. Maybe they're trying to identify the "churners." A more efficient policy is to require a time limit (e.g. 6 - 12 months) or minimum balance on the account. Or just track bonuses by SS#. Otherwise I would expect to see fewer miles/points promotions in the future.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Ducati
Who knows. I'm coming up on two weeks since hitting 100k, and not a single mile has hit my UA acct.
I'm in the same boat. I wonder if I should cycle some funds back in to trigger the 2nd set of miles.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, NWA WorldPerks
I was rejected for the AA offer for having a retirement account, despite having assurance and confirmation from Fidelity saying I was in fact eligible. They then sent me this in a DM:
". Our national group is aware of your conversation on March 8 but continues to state that you did not qualify and will not give you America Airlines miles for these funds. The associate I spoke to stated that the offer has changed as of April 5 and if you were to deposit additional funds into the account you would qualify but our National group will not allow these past funds to be counted towards the offer. They stated that the only miles offer they could press to our national office is the Delta Airmiles offer because you did qualify for that offer on March 7.
I see that you argued with ***** about your eligibility and you were assured. I completely understand what you are saying and I am very sorry that I can not do more for you in this."

Classic bait and switch! Changing the rules in the middle of the game...
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by FTnewbie731
Originally Posted by Ducati
I'm in the same boat. I wonder if I should cycle some funds back in to trigger the 2nd set of miles.
Just finished a chat session. Rep said 6-8 weeks. Looks like Fidelity wants us to keep the money in there for about two months. The rep warned me not to make any withdrawals since that may disqualify me. And if the value of the account drops due to fluctuating stock prices, it doesn't matter. Fidelity is only concerned with deposits and withdrawals. Looks like Fidelity may be cracking down on cycling.

Waiting 6-8 weeks is not a huge deal. Better than 6-8 months!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdrummer
I was rejected for the AA offer for having a retirement account, despite having assurance and confirmation from Fidelity saying I was in fact eligible. They then sent me this in a DM:
". Our national group is aware of your conversation on March 8 but continues to state that you did not qualify and will not give you America Airlines miles for these funds. The associate I spoke to stated that the offer has changed as of April 5 and if you were to deposit additional funds into the account you would qualify but our National group will not allow these past funds to be counted towards the offer. They stated that the only miles offer they could press to our national office is the Delta Airmiles offer because you did qualify for that offer on March 7.
I see that you argued with ***** about your eligibility and you were assured. I completely understand what you are saying and I am very sorry that I can not do more for you in this."

Classic bait and switch! Changing the rules in the middle of the game...
Go to TD for the SPG offer if that still exists, and TELL Fido why.

They disqualified me last year on the AMEX Membership Reward offer that was specifically opened for existing customer because we had a very small (15K AA miles) 4 years ago via exception. The rep on the Chat was kind of rude also. I sent a SM to tell Fido how I felt and how I was valued by TD (fact was, we already were pulling out assets from our regular account but the IRA accounts were untouched.) Someone from "Executive Team" contacted me in 2 days and the table turned.

The idiots at Fido deserve to have their bonuses taken by folks cycling their money - teach them an expensive lesson that all their money spent in marketing to get new customers by treating existing customers like sh$t gains them NOTHING while costs them a ton.

Good for those folks have been able to get double/triple dips before the game finally! slowly changes.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by popot53
Thats crazy...Are you sure you waited until the money showed up as "available to withdraw"?
Yep, I even waited several extra days as a precaution.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:51 pm

Can u just park the money without investing to avoid risk of market crash?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by webazoid
Can u just park the money without investing to avoid risk of market crash?
Yes. You can use any of their Money Market Funds which currently yield a paltry 0.01 to 0.05% per year. Go to the Fixed Income / Taxable, you will find there are several to choose from. Usually the Select yield a wee bit higher than the others - still very paltry though. They are not FDIC but they are insured by SPIC. Fido also has additional private insurance. Meaning you would only lose money should Fido goes under. If Fido goes under, 1/2 of this country's IRA/401K accounts would be in jeopardy - so rest assured that would not happen.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

The idiots at Fido deserve to have their bonuses taken by folks cycling their money - teach them an expensive lesson that all their money spent in marketing to get new customers by treating existing customers like sh$t gains them NOTHING while costs them a ton.

Good for those folks have been able to get double/triple dips before the game finally! slowly changes.
^ Definitely agree with everything Happy said here! Unfortunately, it is intended to be a lesson for them, we, who have enough assets vested there, would be paying the price also. I wish I could take my 401K out of there as well but it was my company's choice, not mine.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:10 pm

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points ONLY

Am going to deposit 60, then cycle 10 in and out. Don't see how they could disqualify me for the 25,000 UA miles, since I will meet that requirement. Would like to get the 50, though.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 7:50 am

I posted in the previous thread about my account...

It too has been frozen. By fidelity. I was cycling 25k in/out!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 8:02 am

DAMN FIDELITY! Is cycling still possible?

I created an account just last week, my first $25k cleared on Wed and no miles deposited. Under the old system how long does it take for miles to post?

If Fidelity is cutting down on cycling, I'm never going to do business with those .......s again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.