Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best new card to help with 4 tixs SAN to JFK?

Old Apr 6, 12, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Looking for the expert opinions on this board for my best new card option if I'm looking to fly my family from SAN to JFK (at the beginning of January.). Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 6, 12, 11:28 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aaasaunt View Post
Looking for the expert opinions on this board for my best new card option if I'm looking to fly my family from SAN to JFK (at the beginning of January.). Thanks for the help.
You are going to have to be more specific.

Best card to earn miles for your ticket purchases?

Intending to secure free tickets?

To get 4 award tickets, you are going to have to start with a pretty good spend every month to even secure one ticket in that timeframe.
Old Apr 6, 12, 11:36 am
Original Poster

With the intent of getting as close to 4 award tickets as possible. So probably the best bonus offer for getting the card and then earning miles?
How big of a spend? It seemed like some of the bonuses available were worth one ticket at least? Also, I'm talking 4 one ways, not round trip.

Thank you.
Old Apr 6, 12, 11:39 am

Putting aside the question of availability, you're looking at 100k miles (round trip) for this flight.

I think the 50k Citi AA cards are still available. If so, you can apply for 2 at one (2 browser trick) to get 100k AA miles after some minimum spend.

You could get the Chase United card and the Chase Sapphire Preferred (easiest if you spread them out at least 30 days apart) for 100k United miles after some minimum spend.

You could apply for the the brand new offer for the BA card from Chase if you can spend $20,000 dollars on it fairly quickly, and you'll end up with (well over) 100k BA miles. But, there is the $95 annual fee not waived (it's waived for the first year for the previously mentioned cards).

Without more info, I'd say those are your best options. You're looking at either 2 cards or 1 BA card with a large spend.

EDIT: Since you actually meant 4 one-way tickets, cut everything in half. The BA card might be the best deal, since you can get 50k right away with no minimum spend, and AA flies non-stop from SAN to JFK.

Last edited by aarif1; Apr 6, 12 at 11:42 am Reason: New info from previous post
Old Apr 6, 12, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Apr 7, 12, 12:39 am

also, if you're married, have your spouse sign up for the same card to double up. you can also sign up for expertflyer to see which airline has better seat availability, united or American.
Old Apr 7, 12, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerfrog View Post
also, if you're married, have your spouse sign up for the same card to double up. you can also sign up for expertflyer to see which airline has better seat availability, united or American.
I can have my husband sign up as well, and i just signed up with expert flyer. Do you agree that the Chase BA card is best?
Old Apr 8, 12, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can have my husband sign up as well, and i just signed up with expert flyer. Do you agree that the Chase BA card is best?
The BA card carries $95 fee not waived but the 50K bonus is after first purchase regardless how much.

The UA card 1st year fee is waived and 50K after first spend.

The AA card 1st year fee is waived but requires $3K spend in 4 months to earn your 50K miles.

Ditto the Chase Sapphire card.

You can decide which one is best for you.

Search this Thread