Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best Way to charge Disney Vacation Club

Old Apr 3, 12, 5:19 am
Original Poster

I'm about to make a Disney Vacation Club purchase which will be about $40k.

What would be the best way to charge it? I believe it would be under the category of travel/lodging but I have to double check that. I am currently debating between the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Amex Gold.
Old Apr 3, 12, 7:19 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
If I were you, I would seriously rethink any time share purchase - have you looked on the resale market?
Old Apr 3, 12, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Between myself/wife and my mother-in-law we own about 2000 DVC points.

You definitely want to go through resale; it's not even close, unless there is some brand-new deal I have not heard of. PM me if you want more info.
Old Apr 3, 12, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Between myself/wife and my mother-in-law we own about 2000 DVC points.

You definitely want to go through resale; it's not even close, unless there is some brand-new deal I have not heard of. PM me if you want more info.
Nice to see another Chicago based dvc owner, we live in the nw burns.

I agree with going resale. Just Google dvc resales and peruse the listings from the first couple of sites to get an idea of how much you can save. The perks of buying direct are not even close to the incremental costs of buying direct. All resorts dvc is selling can be had via resale.

Check out mouseowners.com, it is the FT equivalent for dvc owners and prospective buyers. No need to pay through the nose direct. You will probably save $10-15k minimum going resale.

Chris
Old Apr 3, 12, 12:28 pm

I too would recommend doing your homework when it comes to fractional ownership. I looked into various timeshares, including Disney, Ritz Carlton, Marriott, and Starwood. When it came down to it, I simply purchased a second home.
Old Apr 3, 12, 1:42 pm

I'd say the best way to pay for it is to not pay for it.

I would second, or third what has been said here.

I have friends who bought, and hate it now. I also have a family member with young kids, who bought, and thinks it is great. Sadly, they're pretty much repeating the sales pitch they were given... I don't have the heart to tell them what they got themselves into. Ignorance is bliss.

If you must buy, buy in the secondary market.

Also check http://www.tug2.net/ For info, resale, and horror stories.
Old Apr 3, 12, 3:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I would not purchase a time share however if i had a 40k expense that would accept credit cards i would get the hilton surpass card and put the charge on it, since if you spend 40k in one year you get upgraded to hilton diamond for this year, next year, and thru march of the following year.
Old Apr 3, 12, 4:05 pm

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
I think Amex Gold will only be 1x, but Chase UR would be 2x, right?
Old Apr 3, 12, 4:31 pm

If you are set on going direct, the Disney Visa may be best as you get 5% back in Disney bucks. But again that is still a lot more net than buying resale.

Chris
Old Apr 3, 12, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Stubtify View Post
I'd say the best way to pay for it is to not pay for it.

...I don't have the heart to tell them what they got themselves into. Ignorance is bliss.
In five minutes I could change your mind completely. Best investment I ever made.
Old Apr 4, 12, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys. I'll have to PM some of you to get more info.
Old Apr 5, 12, 8:31 am

Programs: HHonors, SPG, ClubCarlson, AAdvantage, BA Avios, US Dividend Miles, UA MileagePlus, Delta SkyPesos
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
In five minutes I could change your mind completely. Best investment I ever made.
There also are a lot of boards out there detailing how people have gotten their money back when selling, even sometimes buying direct (though more likely on the secondary market), or even made a small profit. If you prefer to stay high end at Disney properties, it is an amazing savings. There is no such thing as a free Walt Disney World property hotel stay if you want luxury and walking distance proximity. Even the Swan & Dolphin, which are in the SPG program, sock you with charges to park and resort fees. You also can only book for the basic room on points with no points & cash option. With that being said, my family and I are going to stay a few nights at the Swan in the next year and pay the $30+ in fees because it is more convenient to be in the Epcot/Hollywood Studios area than Downtown Disney for $89/night + fees (recent special in TravelZoo in the Wyndham property). We wish we were DVC members like a couple of our relatives, but it just isn't in the cards at this juncture. We can trim costs significantly simply by being somewhat flexible about accommodations and getting free flights. We've also paid for the flights of relatives and shared a 2-bedroom DVC property on their DVC points. For the hotel point and FF miles user, depending upon your location, Disneyland can interestingly come out much cheaper than WDW.

Last edited by LowFlyOver; Apr 5, 12 at 8:39 am
Old Apr 5, 12, 9:51 am

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
The best way to charge DVC if buying directly from Disney is to charge on the Disney Rewards Premier Visa. If you have the Regular Disney Rewards Visa then Chase is offering 5% Disney dollars for 3 months if you upgrade to Premier from Regular Disney Visa. The premier visa costs $49/ year and if you are a frequent Disney visitor then 1 Disney dollar= 1 dollar of purchases at Disney. In essence you are receiving a 5% discount on your DVC purchase.

Another benefit of the Disney Visa is that Disney purchases including the first payment on DVC receives 6 months at 0% so you get a 6 month float on your money. Note that there is a $10K limitation on this purchase so make sure your first payment is less then 10K. You can finance the rest from Disney and then pay it off ASAP with the same card within a month so you will receive the 5% back. Disney charges a 11.75% rate for financing but there are no credit checks and it doesn't show up on your credit history but you will be paying it back quickly so interest will be minimal.
Old Apr 9, 12, 10:02 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Silver, DVC
I've been very happy with my DVC membership, which I purchased in 2000. If you love vacationing at Disney World, plan to go at least once every two years and like staying at the deluxe resorts on property, then it's a good deal. If you want to try to use it for swapping to stay elsewhere, cruises, etc. you'd be better off paying cash. If I was going to purchase additional points, I would probably buy resale.
Old Apr 9, 12, 10:10 am

I truly think DVC is the one time share that does a reasonable job of actually holding it's value compared to others, but to each his own.

Search this Thread