Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Expired] 30% Bonus on Buy AA Miles, plus 15% discount

Old Apr 2, 12, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Link.

Seems like a pretty good way to load up on AA miles. Note 40K a year annual limit, and 15% discount is only good until Thursday.

Maxing the promo yields 40K miles at $1035.13, plus 12K bonus (posts 6-8 weeks later), for a total of 52,000 AA miles, at 1.99 cpm. Not a fantastic deal, but could be of use if banking AA for some excellent F class redemptions. I believe the last time AA ran a buy mile promo, it was in December and it was a 20% bonus with no price discount, about 2.3 cpm.

Last edited by bangkokiscool; Apr 2, 12 at 12:49 pm Reason: added calculation
Old Apr 2, 12, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool View Post
Link.

Seems like a pretty good way to load up on AA miles. Note 40K a year annual limit, and 15% discount is only good until Thursday.

Maxing the promo yields 40K miles at $1035.13, plus 12K bonus (posts 6-8 weeks later), for a total of 52,000 AA miles, at 1.99 cpm. Not a fantastic deal, but could be of use if banking AA for some excellent F class redemptions. I believe the last time AA ran a buy mile promo, it was in December and it was a 20% bonus with no price discount, about 2.3 cpm.
is this a good deal? 100k miles is usually valued at $1000,

if you buy this, 52k miles is $1035? that looks like a horrible deal though this maybe better then general purchase rate
Old Apr 2, 12, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Also note that it only applies for purchases of 20K or more. So if you were looking to top off your account for anything less (like I was), it's not that useful.
Old Apr 2, 12, 5:18 pm
In memoriam

Thanks to OP for posting.

I got this offer too. And, as with most of these buy miles offers it seems kinda pricey to me.

I'd rather try another card app and get some free miles.

Maybe I'm just cheap but buying miles just rubs me the wrong way.

Now if AA would make an offer like the recent Delta offer of two miles for the price of one ...
Old Apr 2, 12, 5:28 pm

I am still waiting to see more posts on this topic before I jump in..........IMO unless you are traveling internationally in F you are basically trading dollars at 2 cents for domestic travel. Am I looking at this in the right light?
Old Apr 2, 12, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA, MR, HH
Was planning to go to Hawaii next year and was considering this so I'd have enough miles for Business class. Looks like from my city it would be about 37.5K each way so if I purchased 40K miles and they gave me 12K bonus miles and I combined it with my 48K that I have now then that ticket seems reasonable. Am I missing something? I'm a newbie at this maxing miles stuff but definitely would love not to go coach for that long flight from MIA to HNL.

Am I overbuying with 40K miles?
I probably can't get another credit card since I'm pretty tapped out credit wise.
Old Apr 3, 12, 12:05 am

This is now definitely in the realm of "buy some miles for an upper-class redemption you want to do right now" but I don't think it's quite cheap enough for "stockpile some miles that maybe I'll use later." I wouldn't buy miles for a trip that isn't going to be booked soon since you might not find an available award.
Old Apr 4, 12, 6:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance, Velocity Rewards, Dividend Miles, Priority Club RA
AA 30% bonus with 15% off

Looking at stockpiling miles for a o/s trip..probably SYD to LAX or SFO..very flexible as will go wherever there is snow. 2 cents per mile looks good from here..been using US Dividend miles to fly J and F and that has been awesome so far and pay around the same mile rate. So should we stockpile?
Old Apr 4, 12, 7:49 am
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by wanderlustre View Post
Also note that it only applies for purchases of 20K or more. So if you were looking to top off your account for anything less (like I was), it's not that useful.
Exactly. I found the wording somewhat misleading, as I was expecting to get a 30% bonus on all purchases of any amount of miles, plus a 15% discount if I purchased 20K or more.

Actually, they mean that IF you buy 20K or more, then you will get a 30% bonus and a 15% discount. If you buy 19K or less, regular rates apply and you get nada.
Old Apr 5, 12, 4:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
Originally Posted by lilactara View Post
Looking at stockpiling miles for a o/s trip..probably SYD to LAX or SFO..very flexible as will go wherever there is snow. 2 cents per mile looks good from here..been using US Dividend miles to fly J and F and that has been awesome so far and pay around the same mile rate. So should we stockpile?
Be aware that J or F award seats on those routes are difficult to notoriously come by.
Old Apr 5, 12, 2:02 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by jimmy1 View Post
is this a good deal? 100k miles is usually valued at $1000,

if you buy this, 52k miles is $1035? that looks like a horrible deal though this maybe better then general purchase rate
Who values 100k miles at $1000?!? 100k gets you a round-trip J ticket from US to Asia, which I value at more than $1000.

This clearly isn't a "horrible" deal for somebody that isn't interested in credit card churning and wants to redeem premium international tickets.
Old Apr 5, 12, 2:06 pm

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
Pulled the trigger, since I needed to top off my AA miles for two RT international F.
Old Apr 6, 12, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whimike View Post
Who values 100k miles at $1000?!? 100k gets you a round-trip J ticket from US to Asia, which I value at more than $1000.

This clearly isn't a "horrible" deal for somebody that isn't interested in credit card churning and wants to redeem premium international tickets.
Those who never redeem their miles for international long haul premium cabin?

CX J North America to Asia routinely sells for $6000+ round trip.

But it is 110K to Asia 2. So 10K short...

Agree with you this is actually a reasonable deal for someone who is willing to pay to fly but looks for a bargain for premium cabin.
Old Apr 6, 12, 1:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by whimike View Post

so with this deal 52k mile is $1000?
Old Apr 6, 12, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jonny1 View Post
so with this deal 52k mile is $1000?
It was.... 15% savings is over. Now 52K miles will cost you over $1,200. After the second deal ends on 31 May 40K miles will cost around $1,200.

Last edited by kraftar; Apr 6, 12 at 2:36 am Reason: updated information

Search this Thread