Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Not implemented] Citi ThankYou Points To Be Transferable To BA, AA & Singapore Air

[Not implemented] Citi ThankYou Points To Be Transferable To BA, AA & Singapore Air

Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, PC
TYP have a home now

This news couldn't have come at a better time.

I was getting ready to convert 100K Citi TYP into a $1000 mortgage payment tonight. 100K BA Avois are certainly worth more than $1000.

We fly Nashville --> Chicago frequently and the redemption is only 9K Avois roundtrip for a flight that runs around $200, so we can get eleven $200 flights for 100K Citi TYP.

Mrs. Baxterboy12 and I both got the MC version last month. I'll have to move the Visa version up on my churn hit list for this summer.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:40 pm

The Star Alliance chart is interesting. 40k RT for biz class within the US? Wonder if 2 class first counts as business.

http://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/ppsc...Trip_Mar12.pdf

And only 115k for biz class to the Middle East, but it's 130k to Europe, 100k to South America.

All in all an odd one...let's see what else comes up from Citi. Not clear if the mile transfer will be from all Thank You eligible cards yet.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Before everyone gets too excited about converting TYP into SQ, I just redeemed 21,250 SQ miles (25k - 15% online booking discount)for a one way MLE-TPE award, and the cash portion was $250. Not as bad as say, British Airways, but I still thought it was a ridiculous surcharge. I don't know if it's any cheaper when using SQ miles on partner airlines.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:16 pm
Formerly known as gwhit21

Programs: All of them.
I'm happy to see Citi finally trying to compete with Chase's Ultimate Rewards.

I'll definitely be thinking about adding the Citi Premier card in my next set of apps.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Folks this news look suspicious to me. May be April came a little bit early. Else why would BA which already partners with Chase and AMEX partner with Citi? And why is AA not a partner? After all Citi has exclusive banking relationship with AA and I am sure Citi is sitting on AA miles worth millions/billions. Very shady, let us wait for an official announcement ...
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
This is fantastic, I have been planning on getting the 50K TYP.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:41 pm

This might make me seriously reconsider my anti-TYP stance. If they add in a Skyteam transfer partner and a few hotel chains, they'd be legitimate competitors to MR and UR.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by gv111
Folks this news look suspicious to me. May be April came a little bit early. Else why would BA which already partners with Chase and AMEX partner with Citi? And why is AA not a partner? After all Citi has exclusive banking relationship with AA and I am sure Citi is sitting on AA miles worth millions/billions. Very shady, let us wait for an official announcement ...
BA gets paid handsomely for their miles. AA already has deep partnership with Citi and this brings another OW top dog into the mix. It is strange why they have not been announced as transfer partners yet.

But Maybe they will introduce an AA transfer partner later in the year and not as the headline transfer partner for this new Citi TYP option.

Just a stab in the dark.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:15 am

Hmm...my plan was for my next churn to include the two Citi AA cards (with two browser trick). But now I have an invitation for the 50k TYP card at home, and it seems good...should I get the TYP and one AA card maybe?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by dagaetch
Hmm...my plan was for my next churn to include the two Citi AA cards (with two browser trick). But now I have an invitation for the 50k TYP card at home, and it seems good...should I get the TYP and one AA card maybe?
No. Get both AA cards, and then get the TYP card at least 2 months later. If you only apply for 1 AA card you won't be able to get another one for at least 18 months.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:54 am

For me, BA avios to AA is practically useless, due to lack of available seats. Either that, or the on-line "partner airline" search is faulty and the BA phone reps are providing me with incorrect info. If there's a method of matching AA reward travel to BA I'd like to know it.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:24 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I don't see anyone discussing the tax implications.... Given that Citi now issues a 1099 when you redeem points (and based on just my personal current experience, Citi will 1099 against credit card bonus points - still waiting to see if that will eventually be overturned), what value will they use when you transfer to BA or SQ?

When I redeem flights they use the actual trip cost for the 1099. But given that they value AA miles at 2.5 cents on the banking side, will a 25,000 mile transfer be valued at $625?

Also - I wonder if these will be instant transfers (like Amex MR) or slow (like SPG) as that would make a huge difference to me. I personally see the best value for Avios transfers (since the change at BA) as being for short haul flights like LGA-YYZ.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by daveland
I don't see anyone discussing the tax implications.... Given that Citi now issues a 1099 when you redeem points (and based on just my personal current experience, Citi will 1099 against credit card bonus points - still waiting to see if that will eventually be overturned), what value will they use when you transfer to BA or SQ?

When I redeem flights they use the actual trip cost for the 1099. But given that they value AA miles at 2.5 cents on the banking side, will a 25,000 mile transfer be valued at $625?

Also - I wonder if these will be instant transfers (like Amex MR) or slow (like SPG) as that would make a huge difference to me. I personally see the best value for Avios transfers (since the change at BA) as being for short haul flights like LGA-YYZ.

Where are you getting this information from? Have you personally received a 1099 for credit card bonus miles and/or redeeming miles? I've never heard of this happening - only 1099 for miles earned from savings and checking accounts opened with Citibank. Has anyone received a 1099 for transferring SPG points to AA miles?

I've redeemed hundreds of thousands of miles on AA and have never received a 1099 for them.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:21 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by glu800
Where are you getting this information from? Have you personally received a 1099 for credit card bonus miles and/or redeeming miles? I've never heard of this happening - only 1099 for miles earned from savings and checking accounts opened with Citibank. Has anyone received a 1099 for transferring SPG points to AA miles?

I've redeemed hundreds of thousands of miles on AA and have never received a 1099 for them.
Yes, you can skip to the last pages of this thread. I'm currently fighting a protracted battle about a 1099 received for spending my TY points earned via Thank You Premier credit card spending.

Citi has taken to taxing people on award of AA miles at 2.5c/mile AND taxing Thank You point redemptions based on whatever you redeem for if the points were in any way considered a bonus (credit card account opening bonus, bonus points on spend via retention offer, etc). I'm not yet sure about Flight points. Only regular spend points are safe.

One thing that is unclear - if one doesn't have a Citibank bank account linked to the TY account at all, it's very possible no 1099 is then issued. I'm going to try removing the Thank You program from my bank account.

(PS: not sure why you mention a 1099 for SPG --> AA transfer? SPG is not issuing 1099s and has nothing to do with Thank You. ONLY Citi is currently taxing points in this way.)
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by daveland
Yes, you can skip to the last pages of this thread. I'm currently fighting a protracted battle about a 1099 received for spending my TY points earned via Thank You Premier credit card spending.
)
This is worrying me. Anyone else face this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.