Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Not implemented] Citi ThankYou Points To Be Transferable To BA, AA & Singapore Air

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Not implemented] Citi ThankYou Points To Be Transferable To BA, AA & Singapore Air

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:27 pm

Any speculation on when Citi may be announcing whether AA is 1:1 transferable or not? I'm holding off on applying for the Visa and MC cards till then. But if it's reality, it's 2 browser mayhem first chance I get!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Speculation on the start date of an unconfirmed rumor? I'd say, if you haven't seen this by May 1, don't keep holding your breath.

Citi/AA may be playing around with the terms of their co-branded cards in an attempt to strengthen those benefits to keep people opening those cards, but for a lot of folks, I'm not sure why they'd take an AA card if the TYP card can get them miles, especially a lot more miles with their bonus categories. And, I suspect AA's figured out exactly the same thing, which is why, if this is happening, it's taking so long to happen.

And, other than the reports of several people, who did not have TYP cards at the time of their conversations with CSRs, about this potential, there's nothing to support it.

I don't think I'd be building my card opening strategy around this rumor until we see some more confirmation. It may be a great card for many reasons (and thanks to Happy and others for pointing those reasons out), but if I take this card, it won't be because of the potential transferability of points to AA miles. That'll just be icing on the cake if it occurs.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:55 am

So, anyone have any fresh grist for this rumor mill?

I am otherwise about to purchase a ticket using TYP's, but has anyone had fresh conversations with Citi representatives supporting the idea that if I hang on just a bit longer I actually will be able to transfer points? Is everyone else holding out until May 1st to start burning TYP's again?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by dickerso
So, anyone have any fresh grist for this rumor mill?

I am otherwise about to purchase a ticket using TYP's, but has anyone had fresh conversations with Citi representatives supporting the idea that if I hang on just a bit longer I actually will be able to transfer points? Is everyone else holding out until May 1st to start burning TYP's again?
When I called the Thank You points line the rep confirmed BA was a transfer partner 3 weeks ago, but with still nothing official I am starting to think this was just a big joke, which would be very unfortunate.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by keirnna
When I called the Thank You points line the rep confirmed BA was a transfer partner 3 weeks ago, but with still nothing official I am starting to think this was just a big joke, which would be very unfortunate.
I ALSO CALLED A FEW WEEKS AGO and was told ba/ aa/ sq-- called today told -- will be transfer to airlines just no date as of now , i do not think it will be a few weeks , do blv it will happen to many people rcvd same type of info from ty reps
Old Apr 22, 2012, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
That would be one terrible use of points!
Why would that be a terrible use of points ?

If I use them for a flight on my usual MSP/BDL route it would cost me 43,323 points and I can get that same flight for 25K United Miles of which I have plenty.

I am not questioniong you just wondering if there is something better I could do with my next bonus than get $525 worth of gift cards

Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
No more updates of this I guess... was hoping that we'd have this ability by now. AA would be great to be able to transfer to!
Old May 1, 2012, 9:14 am

Ok now it's May. No updates at all?
Old May 1, 2012, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by IamHungry
Ok now it's May. No updates at all?
We may have to wait till next April .
Old May 6, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
40k TYP v.s. 23,500 AA miles

Here's a good one. I signed up for the Citibank promo that awards 23,500 AA miles, and after 6 months of meeting the requirements and sitting around waiting for my miles and PM'ing them several times, they signed me up for the wrong promo and gave me 40,000 TYP instead of the 23,500 AAdvantage miles. So now they are telling me that if I really want the miles they can just deduct the 40,000 TYPs and award me the miles instead. I'm not very familiar with the TYPs program, so I'm not sure what's more valuable. Keep in mind that I do not plan on keeping the checking account. I only did this for the 23.5k AA award promo.
Thanks in advance.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by mromero07
Here's a good one. I signed up for the Citibank promo that awards 23,500 AA miles, and after 6 months of meeting the requirements and sitting around waiting for my miles and PM'ing them several times, they signed me up for the wrong promo and gave me 40,000 TYP instead of the 23,500 AAdvantage miles. So now they are telling me that if I really want the miles they can just deduct the 40,000 TYPs and award me the miles instead. I'm not very familiar with the TYPs program, so I'm not sure what's more valuable. Keep in mind that I do not plan on keeping the checking account. I only did this for the 23.5k AA award promo.
Thanks in advance.
The miles, especially since this transfer thing seems to have been a mistake or joke.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by mromero07
Thanks in advance.
Interesting, I thought only TYP were avaiable for the Citi checking accounts. Where did you find the offer for the 23.5k AA miles for the checking account. Am I mistaking this bonus for some other Citi product?

Also keeping my fingers crossed to be able to transfer TYP to airline miles programs.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:19 am
Community Director Emerita

The May issue of Inside Flyer states on page 40 that Citibank ThankYou points can be transferred to BA and SQ accounts.

"Citibank hasn't officially released an announcement on the new transfer option, but members report being able to log into their account and transfer points into miles with British Airways and Singapore Airlines."

Has anyone done so?
Old May 20, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The May issue of Inside Flyer states on page 40 that Citibank ThankYou points can be transferred to BA and SQ accounts.

"Citibank hasn't officially released an announcement on the new transfer option, but members report being able to log into their account and transfer points into miles with British Airways and Singapore Airlines."

Has anyone done so?
I have the TY Premier card, and I just checked and can't find the option anywhere.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Has anyone done so?
I wonder when they went to press on the May issue. Might just be the same rumor being passed around and nothing new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.