Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotel Points when Dining at Hotel Restaurant (non-guest)

Old Mar 11, 12, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC

So recently Starwood stated that you can get Starpoints for dining at a Starwood restaurant if you give them your Starwood Preferred Guest number and the bill is over $10. So what (if any) other hotel programs allow you to receive points for restaurant dining (on top of the normal credit card rewards) when not a guest at the property?

2.2.b. When an SPG Member is not staying at an SPG Participating Hotel, charges incurred by the SPG Member for food and beverage (excluding alcoholic beverage purchases where prohibited by law) at restaurants at SPG Participating Hotels will be Eligible Charges if: (i) the restaurant permits guests to charge food and beverage on their folios; (ii) the charges are greater than $10 USD (excluding taxes, gratuities);and (iii) the SPG Member provides his/her SPG Member number at the time of payment.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...spg_terms.html
Old Mar 11, 12, 7:24 pm

Hyatt has begun the roll out of this program. Not all hotels are in participation yet, but they all should be by the end of the year or so. I believe there's currently a thread that discusses this in the Hyatt Gold Passport section here.
Old Mar 11, 12, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA PLAT; UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
There is a SPG property close by that has a nice restaurant and also participates in restaurant.com, it is time to give this a test.
Old Mar 12, 12, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Be prepared for your bartender/waiter to give you a strange look. I've done this a couple times over the years and the staff frequently don't know what to do.

I mean, it *should* work...but allow a few extra minutes for it.
Old Mar 12, 12, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Be prepared for your bartender/waiter to give you a strange look. I've done this a couple times over the years and the staff frequently don't know what to do.

I always have time for additional points and miles.
Old Mar 12, 12, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: nice
Nice post thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 12, 12, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post

Very true. Just kindly ask them to call a front office manager, they will know how it works. Majority of the time even the restaurant manager isn't familiar with the process.
Old Mar 13, 12, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA3MMEXP, BAGold,UA1MMPremGold,FBSilver, MarriottAmb, AccorPlat, HHGold, ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
This isn't new at SPG--I've earned SPG points this way for several years. The last couple of times, I was told to bring the restaurant bill to the front desk for SPG credit.
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL
Does anyone have experience with marriotts? Our local FS Marriott had a restaurant attached to it that is a chain restaurant and when I asked the front desk they said it was not possible to earn points if not staying at the hotel.
Old Mar 14, 12, 11:09 am

No Hilton points provided for restaurant dine when not a guest and not on hotel bill. Just asked a month ago (I'm gold Hilton).
Old Mar 14, 12, 11:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat, Hyatt Plat, UA Gold
Is there an email address I can email receipts to for SPG dines? I tried emailing [email protected], but didn't get a response.
Old Mar 14, 12, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTnewbie731 View Post
Is there an email address I can email receipts to for SPG dines? I tried emailing [email protected], but didn't get a response.
Questions or further information regarding SPG dines-without-stays should be posted in this thread (in the SPG forum):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ghlight=dining

SPG has staff who monitor that forum and can help with questions there
(as well as there being lots of SPG members there with experience with such issues). But of course they don't monitor MilesBuzz! for random SPG questions here!
Old Mar 14, 12, 11:07 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
This is a major pain in the rear. I can't even get points from restaurant or room charges on my house account folio at the W I live in!

Search this Thread