Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best business class redemption option from BOM-PHX ?

Old Feb 26, 12, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Being a good son and redeeming miles for my parents tickets BOM-PHX .

Have miles on all major US carriers+ BA.

TIA!
Old Feb 26, 12, 5:34 pm

Best options would be Star Alliance on US/LH/LX or SkyTeam on AF/KL.
Old Feb 26, 12, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by belfordrocks View Post
Best options would be Star Alliance on US/LH/LX or SkyTeam on AF/KL.

Thanks! Important criteria would be least # of miles/ connections to avoid rechecking bags

BOM-LHR-PHX would be best except they need a british visa?

Ability to book online would be great!
Old Feb 26, 12, 6:03 pm

Fuel surcharges- they are insane on BA- also they will cost (likely, don't have the numbers off the top of my head), more miles.
Old Feb 26, 12, 10:45 pm

see if you can find one on skyteam AF/KL...
I took NYC-BOM-NYC for 90k miles on AF 3 months back, flight change at Paris but no bag recheck...
BA will kill you with taxes...
Old Feb 26, 12, 11:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by vickh View Post
Thanks! Important criteria would be least # of miles/ connections to avoid rechecking bags

BOM-LHR-PHX would be best except they need a british visa?

Ability to book online would be great!
BOM-LHR-PHX on BA and BOM-EWR-PHX on CO would be your only 1-stop itineraries, I think. CO would work out to 120K miles r/t in J, and ~$100-$150 in taxes, but availability on BOW-EWR is hard to come by in J. BA will probably have lots of availability and has a good J product, but expect to spend upwards of $700 per person, in charges. If you have a lot of BA miles, BOM-HKG-LAX/SFO-PHX on CX would work nicely too (you will have to pay fuel surcharges on CX awards too, unfortunately. We recently paid ~$300 for a one-way trip, ORD-HKG-DEL on CX F).

If that is too expensive, you could consider LH (two stops, via SFO/DFW/DEN/LAX/IAH) - although LH has really started to restrict award availability (until about 2-3 weeks out). Plus, the J product is nothing to write home about (although I ended up booking my parents on that as well, due to lack of availability on other carriers).
Old Feb 27, 12, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by kingsubbu View Post
BOM-LHR-PHX on BA and BOM-EWR-PHX on CO would be your only 1-stop itineraries, I think. CO would work out to 120K miles r/t in J, and ~$100-$150 in taxes, but availability on BOW-EWR is hard to come by in J. BA will probably have lots of availability and has a good J product, but expect to spend upwards of $700 per person, in charges. If you have a lot of BA miles, BOM-HKG-LAX/SFO-PHX on CX would work nicely too (you will have to pay fuel surcharges on CX awards too, unfortunately. We recently paid ~$300 for a one-way trip, ORD-HKG-DEL on CX F).

If that is too expensive, you could consider LH (two stops, via SFO/DFW/DEN/LAX/IAH) - although LH has really started to restrict award availability (until about 2-3 weeks out). Plus, the J product is nothing to write home about (although I ended up booking my parents on that as well, due to lack of availability on other carriers).
I have 140,000 BA avios, I think of doing LAX-HKG-BOM on CX and return, 1 ticket for June/July. How do I get started to book? (the steps). I am new
Old Feb 27, 12, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
I have 140,000 BA avios, I think of doing LAX-HKG-BOM on CX and return, 1 ticket for June/July. How do I get started to book? (the steps). I am new
you have to use avios on ba.com, login on site with your credentials and click on "spending avios" and click "book with avois"
The best value of using of avios is to book domestic US tickets on AA, I would advise you against booking tickets to India on it, since you will pay lot of taxes, instead put a little more $ and you can buy tickets + get miles for the same....
Old Feb 27, 12, 9:37 am

Are you looking to travel in business class? Note that with BA's program, you would need 190K avios for the round-trip (LAX-HKG is 140K r/t in business class)
Old Feb 27, 12, 9:41 am

Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
Use US miles on LX. Fully flat beds in C. Route through ZRH and another us city served by LX.

You will pay 400$ or so taxes per ticket with BA and more miles. US taxes will be 150 or so
Old Feb 27, 12, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais View Post
Use US miles on LX. Fully flat beds in C. Route through ZRH and another us city served by LX.

You will pay 400$ or so taxes per ticket with BA and more miles. US taxes will be 150 or so
ZRH does have a great J product but availability can be tricky (esp to/from the US). I would also recommend trying BOM-ZRH(LX)-EWR-PHX, with the last two legs on UA/CO (booked using US/UA miles), or BOM-ZRH-ORD/IAD/JFK/PHL-PHX, with the ZRH-USA legs on UA/CO/US.
Old Feb 27, 12, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by airride View Post
you have to use avios on ba.com, login on site with your credentials and click on "spending avios" and click "book with avois"
The best value of using of avios is to book domestic US tickets on AA, I would advise you against booking tickets to India on it, since you will pay lot of taxes, instead put a little more $ and you can buy tickets + get miles for the same....
OK, I don't travel a lot, and don't intend to pay annual dues for the BA credit card, I'll try to sell those points on Craig's list. How much can I expect? I have 62,000 chase rewards, 130,000 Amex M. rewards and 122,000 Citi Thank You Points. I can simply buy the tks and pay with those points? or I have to transfer the points to that airlines? which points to use first?
Old Feb 27, 12, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
OK, I don't travel a lot, and don't intend to pay annual dues for the BA credit card, I'll try to sell those points on Craig's list. How much can I expect? I have 62,000 chase rewards, 130,000 Amex M. rewards and 122,000 Citi Thank You Points. I can simply buy the tks and pay with those points? or I have to transfer the points to that airlines? which points to use first?
The 122k Citi TY Points program gets the standard 1% redemption value.
The 130k AMEX MR points are more valuable. Transfer them to airline or hotel partners for award redemptions worth more than 1% value.
Are the Chase points the "Ultimate Rewards" points that come with the Sapphire Preferred card? If so, they are valuable too and can be transferred to airline or hotel partners. If they are the Chase Freedom, then those are like the Citi TY Points that cannot be transferred.

Search this Thread