Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotel points - From other people's stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG

I know this is probably a novice question..
but if i book 3 rooms, for 5 nights each, for 3 couples (including myself)..

Assume I pay for all 3 rooms as well for the entire stay.

Do i get points for all 3 rooms,? or just mine?
Do i get 15 'nights' credit or just 5?

What if other people paid for it but didn't want the points, can they put it under my reward account?

Thanks!
Mark
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
no
yes
no
no
Old Feb 24, 2012, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Hmm interesting.. so why do i hear about people organizing a meeting/wedding etc.. where they book everything, pay for everything, and earn a bucket of points?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:36 pm

My wife recently used my Marriott number to book and pay for 3 rooms at the JW Marriott in NO. I did not go on the trip. We received full 10 points per $ plus the 50% platinum bonus on all 3 rooms. We did only receive 2 nights credit toward elite status.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by vmsea
Hmm interesting.. so why do i hear about people organizing a meeting/wedding etc.. where they book everything, pay for everything, and earn a bucket of points?
If you're going on the trip yourself as well and want to book all rooms under your name, I'm sure you can get the credit for all bookings.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:20 pm

A different experience

Ok...So please don't laugh about the Hotels...but...

I booked La Quinta for a VB Club team at a LQ in Jan & Feb and had booked all rooms under me and with 4 rooms each stay for 3 nights I am now Elite through Dec 2013...

I just don't really stay at this chain.

I just wish it would be through a different loyalty program =)
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Sweet. perfect..
so i'll get points for all the money I pay for everyone.

perfecto.
thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Sweet. perfect..
so i'll get points for all the money I pay for everyone.

perfecto.
thanks!
It will depend on the Hotel chain and the terms of the program. Most of them you cannot get credit for more than 2 rooms at a time. Individual hotels may make exceptions or mistakes. read the rules of the program to see what you are entitled to and don't be surprised if that is all you will get.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: Most
A lot of it depends on front desk. If I am booking a large group I usually tell the manager that I am booking this particular hotel for the points and If I don't receive them Ill choose different hotel. They usually give me bonus or goodwill points. They also generally give anybody staying their points also.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
This is different than booking a small handful of rooms. What you're thinking is when you block rooms as a group. With a group, you work under a contracted rate and you're obligated to pay for all the rooms regardless of whether the rooms are occupied. The number of rooms that each hotel considers as a group will vary but it's considerably more than 3.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, IHG Spire
I do this at work occasionally. All rooms have to be booked under your name and reservation. I've done it at LQs, Holiday Inn's, and Comfort Inns.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by jeautk01
A lot of it depends on front desk. If I am booking a large group I usually tell the manager that I am booking this particular hotel for the points and If I don't receive them Ill choose different hotel. They usually give me bonus or goodwill points. They also generally give anybody staying their points also.
I have done it with as few as three rooms for family and with as many as 100.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 6:14 pm

With Marriot Rewards, you can earn credit for up to three rooms assuming you are paying for all three, your Marriott Rewards number is in each record, and you are staying in one of the rooms.

With Hhonors, you can earn base points for two rooms but they must be paid for under the same folio. This means the second room's charges have to be transferred to your primary room.

Jason

Last edited by philemer; Feb 26, 2012 at 6:21 pm Reason: Signature links allowed after 90 days & 90 posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: Priority Club, Marriott Rewards; AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards
I stay with Priority Club often and sometimes take employees with me. They will allow points for each room but you don't get the night credits, it counts as a overlapping stay.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:07 am

Offering loyalty programs such as earning points and rewards are great part of customer relationship strategy which let think of on coming back for your service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.