Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Help with Waikiki / Oahu hotel stay with Points

Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

what would be best way to sign up and redeem points for stay on island of Oahu.

I would be signing up for different cards under different people.

Sat and Sun need 2 rooms

Thurs and Friday need 5 rooms with 3 adults per room

Sat need 3 to 4 rooms.

basically trying to accommodate 17 people all on points if possible.

currently have 2 nights i can book with Hyatt card bonus. Also when the renewal cat 1-4 award nights show up i can book another 2 (2 different cards) more nights at Hyatt Place.

Basically looking at a way to MAXIMIZE the number of rooms i can get will sign up bonus for me and others that i sign up.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by dilvala
what would be best way to sign up and redeem points for stay on island of Oahu.

I would be signing up for different cards under different people.

Sat and Sun need 2 rooms

Thurs and Friday need 5 rooms with 3 adults per room

Sat need 3 to 4 rooms.

basically trying to accommodate 17 people all on points if possible.

currently have 2 nights i can book with Hyatt card bonus. Also when the renewal cat 1-4 award nights show up i can book another 2 (2 different cards) more nights at Hyatt Place.

Basically looking at a way to MAXIMIZE the number of rooms i can get will sign up bonus for me and others that i sign up.

Is there a business version of the hyatt card? Try getting the SPG card, business and personal for multiple people. that's 25k a pop, plus Ill split the referral bonus of 10k on the personals with you, so for two, that's an extra 10k points.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
Wait you mentioned the days. How soon do you need the rooms? If you need them now how can you sign up and get the bonuses for right now? Or am I missing something and you need it for down the road?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by World-Wide
Wait you mentioned the days. How soon do you need the rooms? If you need them now how can you sign up and get the bonuses for right now? Or am I missing something and you need it for down the road?

sorry forgot about the month. its SEPTEMBER 2012

I have successfully booked 8 Adults 2 Kids ticket from ORD - HNL with mix of BA and AA miles. I was surprised to see so many seats open, heck when i was done it still showed 7 more ticket in Y for the same flight.

4 ticket are booked connecting via LAX on HA

3 Flying United using Aeroplan miles

2 more are undecided but most likely will be on the connecting via LAX on HA flight.

so all in all i have booked 19 Tickets all on the same day flying to HNL. Only took 2 days because everything i wanted was open as it can be.

I still do not understand the AA being open for 10 seats i booked plus 7 more were open after i was done. Couple days later everything was gone, so i guess i was lucky

Now time to work on the hotel part

Sept 3rd week

Last edited by dilvala; Jan 28, 2012 at 7:23 pm
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by dilvala
sorry forgot about the month. its SEPTEMBER 2012

I have successfully booked 8 Adults 2 Kids ticket from ORD - HNL with mix of BA and AA miles. I was surprised to see so many seats open, heck when i was done it still showed 7 more ticket in Y for the same flight.

4 ticket are booked connecting via LAX on HA

3 Flying United using Aeroplan miles

2 more are undecided but most likely will be on the connecting via LAX on HA flight.

so all in all i have booked 19 Tickets all on the same day flying to HNL. Only took 2 days because everything i wanted was open as it can be.

I still do not understand the AA being open for 10 seats i booked plus 7 more were open after i was done. Couple days later everything was gone, so i guess i was lucky

Now time to work on the hotel part

Sept 3rd week
WOW that is a lot of tickets, and miles. Ha care to donate them to the world-wide fund? haha jk

I see you already have the Hyatt. How about the Marriott 70K + 1 night if that link still works?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:29 am
Original Poster

anyone think a good idea to burn 48k UR points for 4 nights stay at Hyatt Place?

i think if all the rooms come with pull out sofa that would work great 3 in a room
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:54 am

Might take a look at the Hilton properties. 145k (cat 7)for 4 night stays thru AXON. Recently stayed at the Embassy Suites, very nice and great location. The BoA Virgin Atlantic card (50k), can be transfered to HH at 1-2 ratio. Couple of those might help a great deal.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:44 am

I highly recommend the Hilton Hawaiian Village if you're going with kids. It has great pools and a really quiet, safe beach.

Hilton points are the easiest to get too. The Amex Surpass card has a $79 fee but comes with Hilton Gold status which will likely give you an upgrade to an ocean view room in the newly renovated Rainbow Tower and access to the continental breakfast bar. You can also get the no annual fee Citi Hilton card.

Points transfer from Virgin Atlantic and Hawaiian at a 1:2 ratio. There's a 50k Virgin Atlantic Amex from Bank of America and two 35k Hawaiian airlines visas from Bank of America and Bank of Hawaii.

I believe American miles still transfer to Hilton at a 6:10 ratio, which isn't horrible.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the help and suggestion on Hilton will definitly look into this. We are mostly adults, but i see where this property is located which is on the beach which is a plus.

I don't really mind a block from the beach, that wouldn't be a problem in my book. Heck even a 3-5 min walk is fine too.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by jethro
Might take a look at the Hilton properties. 145k (cat 7)for 4 night stays thru AXON...
CAT 7 for 4 nites is 170k not 145k
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
CAT 7 for 4 nites is 170k not 145k

AXON.........an HH Amex card holder get CAT 7 4 nite stay for 145k, unless they have changed the chart in the last month or so

AXON rewards are available for 4-night stays at hotels in categories 5 through 7, as follows:
Category 5: 125,000 points
Category 6: 125,000 points
Category 7: 145,000 points

edit...........thanks beltway

Last edited by jethro; Feb 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm Reason: edit
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: Lotz
I've stayed at what will be the new Hyatt Place many times. The Pacific Ocean Resort is a step below a typical Motel 6 but a fantastic location and $40/night. I'm sure as a Hyatt it will be fine.

The rooms are small and be sure to get rooms in the south tower high up that have a view of the ocean from the balcony.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
This may not be the best use of miles, but how about applying for a Southwest CC and/or Delta CC and using those miles to book hotel stays. Most of these programs give about 1 CPM value so a $300/night room will cost about 30K miles. And I think that you may even be allow pay with a combination of miles and cash if you don't have enough miles, at least Delta will.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by eknock007
This may not be the best use of miles, but how about applying for a Southwest CC and/or Delta CC and using those miles to book hotel stays. Most of these programs give about 1 CPM value so a $300/night room will cost about 30K miles. And I think that you may even be allow pay with a combination of miles and cash if you don't have enough miles, at least Delta will.
Booking hotels with AA miles can also work out OK. Just be aware that the reservation/points redemption through AA is nonrefundable.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:50 pm

How about some UR from chase? You got the sapphire and Ink. The UR will transfer to Hyatt in which you already have 2-4 nights.

Someone mentioned the Hyatt place waikiki above I think. I stayed a block up the road from this place in December and it looker pretty decent. Very short walk to beach and all the activities. As a reference it was on the opposite end of the strip from Hilton Village. I believe this hotel is a category 3 only 12,000 points a night. One 50,000 bonus is 4 nights

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.