Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are travel blogs losing their creativity and going downhill?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
3) Design the blog to look sightly less annoying than Dan's Deals
What?! Surely you're not referring to his constant shouting (!!!!) that goes with each of his posts! Annoying?! Don't you know all those exclamation marks are necessary?! How would us rubes know if it was a good deal or not if he didn't put at least one or two exclamation marks after it? I realize it's sort of like being hit over the head with a 2X4 but sometimes that's what it takes to get through to some of us! He only needs a few pop-up, flashing neon exclamation marks to really get through to us!! (I'm kidding Dan, you don't need any of those!!)
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: SQ

YES

I am going to make a new blog that does something no one has ever done before.

I'll call it FT Top 10 and will steal 10 things FTers posted each day and claim them as my own. I'll use lots of credit card ADs so I can make money to spend in hotel bars on my quest to reach Hyatt and Hilton Diamond in the same year. I'll write great reports about how it was worth it to pay 295$ to spring for Hyatt this time, because I got two apples and lounge access! What a business model!

Oh, and the Chase Sapphire card is so good. I mean, there is nothing better than it. Just imagine - you can turn the 50k bonus into 10 nights at the Bali Hyatt.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais

YES

I'll call it FT Top 10 and will steal 10 things FTers posted each day and claim them as my own. I'll use lots of credit card ADs so I can make money to spend in hotel bars on my quest to reach Hyatt and Hilton Diamond in the same year. I'll write great reports about how it was worth it to pay 295$ to spring for Hyatt this time, because I got two apples and lounge access! What a business model!

Oh, and the Chase Sapphire card is so good. I mean, there is nothing better than it. Just imagine - you can turn the 50k bonus into 10 nights at the Bali Hyatt.
Link please
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:22 pm

I mean, there is nothing better than it. Just imagine - you can turn the 50k bonus into 10 nights at the Bali Hyatt.
Actually, the Park Hyatt Maldives is the flavor of the day as far as being mentioned really often lately.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

From "noobtraveler.com":

I can’t turn on the TV, open up my laptop, or listen to the radio without hearing about TIM TEBOW. He is everywhere. This is exactly how I feel about affiliate links. They’re all up in my face. And now that I have some of my own, I have been working on my disclaimer and this is what I came up with:

“I receive a commission for some of the credit card deals on this site. I do my best to stay up to date on ALL the best offers. Let me know if there is one that I have missed. Also, 10% of all revenue I receive goes to charities, 5% to local and 5% to global charities. It’s my desire to give back so I thank you for making that possible”.

I have decided to place this disclaimer as its own page next to my reward credit cards pages at the top of the website. Personally, I don’t want to overload my posts with the disclaimer EVERY time I write something. I also like to use a javascript affiliate link when possible so it is obvious that it’s an ad and I will receive a commission on the card.

My favorite line... "and now that I have some of my own"

Blogger is a fellow member on FT with 6 months and under 200 posts.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
From "noobtraveler.com":

I can’t turn on the TV, open up my laptop, or listen to the radio without hearing about TIM TEBOW. He is everywhere. This is exactly how I feel about affiliate links. They’re all up in my face. And now that I have some of my own, I have been working on my disclaimer and this is what I came up with:

“I receive a commission for some of the credit card deals on this site. I do my best to stay up to date on ALL the best offers. Let me know if there is one that I have missed. Also, 10% of all revenue I receive goes to charities, 5% to local and 5% to global charities. It’s my desire to give back so I thank you for making that possible”.

I have decided to place this disclaimer as its own page next to my reward credit cards pages at the top of the website. Personally, I don’t want to overload my posts with the disclaimer EVERY time I write something. I also like to use a javascript affiliate link when possible so it is obvious that it’s an ad and I will receive a commission on the card.

My favorite line... "and now that I have some of my own"

Blogger is a fellow member on FT with 6 months and under 200 posts.

Thoughts?
I think, it's honest. Why?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: HHonors, SPG, ClubCarlson, AAdvantage, BA Avios, US Dividend Miles, UA MileagePlus, Delta SkyPesos
Originally Posted by tassojunior
I know I've had instances where a blogger will push a certain card- say with a $3000 spend for 50K miles and even link it in their story- when there's another link circulating here that only requires a $1000 spend for the same card, same bonus. When you try to reference the better link in a comment, the story doesn't get updated and sometimes the comment even gets deleted.

That's why I trust threads here more than blogs. Besides, the blogs are just summaries of what's in threads here. I read the headlines on the blogs each day to see what's new, but then research it on FT.
TheFrugalTravelGuy will post the best links. In fact, he'll tell you to use those links instead of the offers advertised. I've seen this several times.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:28 pm

The one thing that's driving the quality of blogs right down at the moment, is credit card referrals. When companies stop offering credit card referrals, bad blog writers shall see no more incentive to continue spewing content-free posts in the hope of some quick cash, shut up shop, and those bloggers with something to actually contribute can come to the fore.

And I've never read Dan's Deals before, but coming to this thread I thought I'd give it a visit. It is truly nonsensical drivel, full of blatant advertising, thinly veiled advertising, and the odd post rehashing information found on FT. Sorry, won't be visiting again.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

YES

And then you can have a rant posting where you whine about the last time that Hyatt only gave you one apple - and it was bruised!! But not to worry, you Tweeted about it and that very night, the manager came up and gave you a bottle of Evian to make up for it. All is now right with the world.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

I guess we are just lucky that when someone posts something about the Chase Sapphire on flyertalk, the words "Chase Sapphire" don't automatically get turned into a referral link that make FT money
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cruisr
I have found over the last month that there has been so much repetition on the blogs I follow. As I don't have the time to do what they do I stil read and appreciate them, referrals and all
Echo Chamber
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by astrophsx
i guess we are just lucky that when someone posts something about the chase sapphire on flyertalk, the words don't automatically get turned into a referral link that make ft money
FYP

Last edited by aviators99; Jan 28, 2012 at 9:20 am Reason: Ironic referral links removed :-)
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:50 pm

New Blog Idea

I have a growing list of FF blog satire headlines in a note on my phone. Based on the growing resentment apparent in this thread it may be the time to start fleshing them out. I bet if I could make a post thats 100% referral links....
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why should anyone resent blogs? If you don't want to read them, you don't have to. About the only time I go to a blog is when someone here points to one for a link or info on a specific deal. The fact that they exist and the level of their quality is simply of no concern if you're not an avid reader of blogs, and reading and then resenting seems a bit of an odd activity to me. The internet is probably 90% junk, anyway. Blogs fit in quite well.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by 84fiero
And then you can have a rant posting where you whine about the last time that Hyatt only gave you one apple - and it was bruised!! But not to worry, you Tweeted about it and that very night, the manager came up and gave you a bottle of Evian to make up for it. All is now right with the world.
Better not go down this pampered/DYKWIA road. Much too easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.