Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Help me meet my girlfriend in Japan

Help me meet my girlfriend in Japan

Old Dec 27, 11, 9:07 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I would wait a while and scrounge up more cash.

Even if you get there on points/miles, you prob need spending money there right?
Old Dec 27, 11, 10:28 am

assuming your GF has a place for you to stay and eat then 500$ is more than enough. I stayed in Tokyo for 10 days and lived off 600$ total. How long you're staying would be nice to know......
Old Dec 27, 11, 7:22 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I couldn't make by with $60 / day.
Old Dec 27, 11, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Don't listen to naysayers. If you truly love her money shouldn't be a problem. I think right now you can get to Japan ~$500 but it may require you to devote a lot of time on searching the right routes
Old Dec 27, 11, 7:45 pm

Looks like your gonna rack up lots of miles! A true ideal FTer relationship.
Old Dec 27, 11, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by theozz View Post
here's a thought.......maybe he loves her?
+1

Originally Posted by kyunbit View Post
don't listen to naysayers. If you truly love her money shouldn't be a problem. I think right now you can get to japan ~$500 but it may require you to devote a lot of time on searching the right routes
+1
Old Dec 27, 11, 8:55 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Another option is meeting somewhere like Hawaii. Especially in the summer, there can be really good deals from Japan to Hawaii: have her check No. 1 Travel in Osaka.

As for you, the miles (in numbers, at least) would be much easier to get. You may also be able to find a cheap ticket for cash. The only other matter would be finding a place to stay; Hawaii does have good and decent hostels.

Of course, I understand why you would want to go to Japan!

Good luck!
Old Dec 27, 11, 10:55 pm

any cargo boat rewards?
Old Dec 27, 11, 11:38 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
Wait... does he already have a girlfriend in Japan or are we helping him meet his future girlfriend? hehe
Time to start a pool for the OP ... who is willing to throw in some miles for a goodwill GF-hunting trip??
Old Dec 27, 11, 11:51 pm

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by rendezvous View Post
How did you meet each other? I'm just curious about the personal part.
I think he mentioned living in Japan before? Maybe that's when they met?
Old Dec 27, 11, 11:53 pm

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer View Post
Time to start a pool for the OP ... who is willing to throw in some miles for a goodwill GF-hunting trip??
LOL wow priceless.........Some of the comment in the thread made my day. (Then again I had a pretty sh*tty day so that does not say much.) ha
Old Dec 27, 11, 11:56 pm

Japan airlines

Originally Posted by XMizer View Post
I live in Toronto, Canada. I don't have a lot of money (obviously not enough for a flight) and I am trying to meet my girlfriend in Japan, so I'm exploring all options to see how I can go see her.

Thanks.

the cheapest round trip to Japan is 30,000 airline miles on Japan Airlines.
you would have to fly to Vancouver and return by 2/29 to get that deal.
here are the details
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/aadvan...vantage-miles/

If you could use a credit card to buy miles you can get 10,000 bonus miles for buying 30,000 miles. Then you could fly to see your girl and still have 10K miles after the trip. Normally a one way to Japan from Oct-April is 25K miles.

also if you have a credit card with 0% interest for 12 months you have time to collect the money to pay your bill.

Hope this helps. but 30K miles on JAL is definetly your best deal because fuel taxes are outrageous. The taxes will only cost you about 72 bucks over the phone if you book 21 days in advance otherwise it will be an extra $25 fee.

hope that helps
Indra

get your free credit score on creditkarma.com and then start getting some airline credit cards. that is the best way to collect free miles.

freefrequentflyermiles.com also has tons of ways to get free miles.
Old Dec 28, 11, 12:09 am

Pics?
Old Dec 28, 11, 1:35 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by XMizer View Post
I live in Toronto, Canada. I don't have a lot of money (obviously not enough for a flight) and I am trying to meet my girlfriend in Japan, so I'm exploring all options to see how I can go see her.
These threads should get you on the right track:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nadian-eh.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...edit-card.html
Old Dec 28, 11, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton View Post
I couldn't make by with $60 / day.
lots of mcdonalds and burger king my friend. maybe flying to tokyo and not eating the unique food was a waste on my part but i like to know what im getting :-)

Search this Thread