Wiki Posts
Search

Legal question regarding miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dhuey
It's easy for us FTers to lose sight of how others (indeed, the vast majority of others) don't think about these questions much. The OP has a reasonable question and it's a legitimate topic.
Not in this forum it isn't. It has nothing to do with earning miles via offers, but finding ways to "gift" them that violate the airline mile program rules.

OP -take the advice given twice already. Look at actual statements to ensure miles aren't expiring.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
This thread seems to get into the specifics of cashing out miles if that is the desired course of action.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ift-cards.html
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by sunk818
If your uncle buys someone a ticket and is paid cash, no one but the two parties would know.

Checks are traceable to a certain degree since even if you cash it, the check would require your uncle's signature to cash.
Are you referring to traceability as an issue should his uncle die and OP attempt to continue to use the accounts, or are you saying that the uncle should only accept cash payments, as checks could be traced to the transaction?

If the latter, I have to disagree. Selling your miles violates your agreement with the airlines, but it is not illegal in any way. Signing up for a FFP does not give the airlines the right to audit your bank accounts. The airlines may very well figure out that OP's uncle is selling tickets, but they will not figure it out from tracing his checks.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Just have Uncle Fester give you his account numbers and PW and go at it

At his birthday, Xmas, and every other holiday in between, give Uncle Fester something he could use, want or would like to have

No need for any written agreements

Just a quick chat in the parlor amongst you two that no one else has to hear
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Just have Uncle Fester give you his account numbers and PW and go at it

At his birthday, Xmas, and every other holiday in between, give Uncle Fester something he could use, want or would like to have

No need for any written agreements

Just a quick chat in the parlor amongst you two that no one else has to hear
I too see this as the most efficient use of those miles. In fact, my wife does not even know any of her FF#s or passwords for any of her loyalty programs. I signed her up for all of the programs/cards and I book all of the award flights/nights for her.

You can do the same thing, and as a member of FT you will likely maximize those award miles/points to the fullest.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
Originally Posted by zutmin
I too see this as the most efficient use of those miles. In fact, my wife does not even know any of her FF#s or passwords for any of her loyalty programs. I signed her up for all of the programs/cards and I book all of the award flights/nights for her.

You can do the same thing, and as a member of FT you will likely maximize those award miles/points to the fullest.
Agree with the last two posts.

First, check other board to see which points can be passed for free through the estate. If I remember correctly, there is some opaqueness is the info out there, but worth some research. Use those last.

For the rest of the points, ask for control of the accounts. Use those to book family members. If the family members give anything back to your uncle in exchange and the airline catches them (e.g., they brag to the ticket agent that they only gave $x to their uncle for their dream trip to Maui and the TA rats them out) they are putting all of your uncle's miles with that airline at risk. They are not breaking any law from a criminal perspective, just a contract with remedies. Think of not paying your rent when it is due. You don't go to jail, you just get kicked out onto to the street (maybe), have your credit rating destroyed and possibly have your wages garnished, all of which would be much better than losing 1MM miles because your cousin couldn't keep his mouth shut

Regardless, don't let those precious miles go to waste, even if your uncle doesn't get paid back with money. I'm pretty sure the airline won't strip your account if the remuneration was a big hug and a thank you card. Anything more and it is simply a risk/reward calculation.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by aacharya
Not in this forum it isn't.
That's for the mods to decide, but a lot of people here want to discuss this, and the issue has everything to do with airline miles.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by dhuey
That's for the mods to decide, but a lot of people here want to discuss this, and the issue has everything to do with airline miles.
This topic is indeed a good fit for MB! This forum is for questions on how to:
1. best use our miles & points
2. find hot new offers of miles & points
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:46 am

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Centurion
NEVER EVER USE a company or broker that buys miles. You not only can or will loose the miles you sold but the everything in your uncles account.

You can find many news articles, flyertalk post on airlines like American, United, etc closing freq flyer accounts, brokers not paying customer, etc.

You even have true cases where miles have been transfered to relative and and at the airport checkin the relative is denied a travel and accused of getting their ticket from someone who sold their freq flyer miles.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL. TRUST NO ONE
If family transfers you there miles there should be no problem.

Anyway if your uncle can't use them have him transfer it to family members. Why would he rather have the miles go to waste?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
These existing threads may help:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ing-miles.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...es-points.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ing-miles.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ell-miles.html
Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:31 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
While selling them might be against the rules, giving them to someone who later gives you a present is not. Friends give friends presents all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.