Wiki Posts
Search

Best Card for amazon gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Best Card for amazon gift card purchases

Hi all

I spend about 50k a year on amazon.com gift card purchases for my company. Previously it has just been put on my amex spg card but I was wondering if anyone can suggest any cards that will get me a higher cashback/points % for these types of purchases from amazon?

thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
From Jan 1-Mar 31, the Chase Freedom card will give 5% back (or 5 UR/$) on all amazon.com purchases.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by dinosims
From Jan 1-Mar 31, the Chase Freedom card will give 5% back (or 5 UR/$) on all amazon.com purchases.
Unfortunately there is a maximum of $1500 in spending for the 5%. Everything past that goes back down to 1%, though I would still do the limit for the extra points, leaving $48.5k for the Amex SPG...

You could also do an app-o-rama and knock out the minimum spend on 5 to 7 different cards.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:30 pm

i think there is a citi card that gives 6 points per dollar at all bookstores incl amazon
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Yep got in on this one, I also use the spend to fill any spending requirements but am done with those for now.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
Unfortunately there is a maximum of $1500 in spending for the 5%.
This counsels in favor of having one's spouse/partner/POSSLQ have a separate Chase Freedom card in order to double the maximum benefit.

Originally Posted by ordua
i think there is a citi card that gives 6 points per dollar at all bookstores incl amazon
CitiForward gives 5 ThankYou points for certain categories, including bookstores, and Amazon qualifies. For best redemption options, one should also get the TYP-earning Citi Premier card, as Citi's gift card and air travel rewards for holders of that card are available at more advantageous ratios.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:36 pm

Amex Blue Cash Preferred http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...cashpref/12007
gives 6% back all year on supermarket purchases which is where I buy my gift cards.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
Cit Forward gives 5 ThankYou points for certain categories, including bookstores, and Amazon qualifies.
Capped at 75,000 points per year.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:14 pm

One last thought: isn't Hawaiian Airlines' online mall still giving miles for Amazon purchases? (Alas, US stopped some weeks back.) Hawaiian miles can be transfered to Hilton HHonors; either way, it's all a bonus above & beyond the credit card rewards.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA MM, Alaska Airlines MVP
You could use a card that gives you bonus points for groceries and buy your amazon cards at Safeway. Also a good way to earn cheap gas rewards up to a $1 off per gallon if you have a Safeway around that has the gas station.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Originally Posted by beltway
One last thought: isn't Hawaiian Airlines' online mall still giving miles for Amazon purchases? (Alas, US stopped some weeks back.) Hawaiian miles can be transferred to Hilton HHonors; either way, it's all a bonus above & beyond the credit card rewards.

Trust me, it is a fight to get miles on Hawaiian for gift card purchases from Amazon. I would go the route of the supermarket. Send someone to buy 500-1000 of them!!
I use the Hilton Amex for the bonus points there. For $50K that would be 300K Hilton Points and that would be a great stay anywhere in the world o the AXON awards. Hawaiian does give miles at 1 mile per dollar, down from 2 earlier for purchases.

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Trust me, it is a fight to get miles on Hawaiian for gift card purchases from Amazon. I would go the route of the supermarket. Send someone to buy 500-1000 of them!!
I use the Hilton Amex for the bonus points there. For $50K that would be 300K Hilton Points and that would be a great stay anywhere in the world o the AXON awards. Hawaiian does give miles at 1 mile per dollar, down from 2 earlier for purchases.

JudyJFLA

I did a few amazon gc purchases through the link off the hawaiian shopping mall. They never showed up. perhaps gift card purchases are excluded.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
Amazon has a list of credit card offers: http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=cobrand_...ode=1266766011
Old Dec 25, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Originally Posted by februaryfour
Amazon has a list of credit card offers: http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=cobrand_...ode=1266766011
But the rewards offered on their own cards are not that great!

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 25, 2011, 9:03 am

With that kind of purchase amount, may be just contact Amazon to see if you could work out a discount GC purchase deal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.