Wiki Posts
Search

Ben Schlappig - miles/mattress running.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
Ben Schlappig - miles/mattress running.

Hi, just bumped into this guy with a video online.

He stays at cheapish area hotels of a supported hotel to rack up nights and does the same with flights - he goes from West US to East.

That's fine but I thought the discounted flights are not eligible for points and ditto for hotels. Could someone enlighten me?

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I am moving to MilesBuzz as this is not a Star Alliance specific thread.

Markie- Mod. *A
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
You refer to Lucky. Of FlyerTalk and One Mile at a Time blog fame.

Almost all fares earn airline miles, at least in the program that matches the airline. There are some exceptions.

Most hotel rates also qualify - but typically only when booked on the hotel's website. Not via Expedia, Travelocity, et al. (Note this does not apply to flights but only hotels). Again, there are some exceptions here and there.

The trick is to use a number of online tools and combine it with the knowledge gained here, another well known frequent flyer forum and various members' blogs to find the lowest price that earns the most points and miles. Then use those miles in the best way possible to meet your needs (family travel, international business/first class, domestic travel, or upgrades all depending upon your goals).

The topic is too broad to offer much more detail but if you have specific questions we can point you to the correct forum or thread with the answers or if simple enough, answer directly in this thread.

Also, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:35 am

Most of is simple maths.

Mileage running is when

Value of redeemable miles accrued + value of elite perks accrued + value of services provided (e.g. airline meals or accomodation for red-eyes) > cost of ticket.

Simple.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks, upon more research it appears United has pulled that off and now earns no point

I am late in this, haha.
Thanks guys.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:16 am

Uh... what?

All revenue fares on UA should earn points...
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Referring to this table I am assuming it falls in the no credit category (?) ...
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,8566,3122,00.html

Also this webpage I found:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroad...leage-accrual/
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:44 am

No, all the fare codes in the no credit category are award fares/non revenue fares.

All revenue fares earn at least 100% EQMs and RDMs
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:29 pm

Important distinction is what program/airlines you fly. Most US-based ones do earn 100% for all fares. If you say look at Asia-based programs it's very frequent to see very limited earning for cheap fares.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Much thanks for that

In terms of crediting mileage for discounted tickets:
Generally speaking, is this an exception with UA? Or does the airline normally do this with their own FF programme?

Secondly, that Ben guy said he hunts for $250US tickets travelling East to West. I am not from the US, so just talking hypothetically here - would not $250US be a waste of money to simply travel to rack up points and not enjoy the travel experience and I guess one cannot do that unless you are well off with the accom expenses and living costs too often. He says 7,500miles travelled. That's not a huge amount right and that UA has decreased the 100% bonus to 50% I think for 2012.

Edit. Yah. I am from New Zealand so I generally use Asian carriers unless I am heading to or thru the USA. And b/c the seldom nature I probably just wouldn't belong with a USA FF programme. Coming from that point of view, it was news to me that USA cheap flights gets 100% points. Even a AirNZ programme with AirNZ - the really discounted seats even for INTL gets absolutely "zero" points but do get minor status points.

Last edited by rayonline; Dec 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: No preference
The purpose isn't to accrew miles (primarily). It helps him retain his elite status and he gets the occasional voucher for getting bumped. He doesn't do this too much anymore though due to his new business. I would suggest reading up on the thread here for new members.

Originally Posted by rayonline
Much thanks for that

In terms of crediting mileage for discounted tickets:
Generally speaking, is this an exception with UA? Or does the airline normally do this with their own FF programme?

Secondly, that Ben guy said he hunts for $250US tickets travelling East to West. I am not from the US, so just talking hypothetically here - would not $250US be a waste of money to simply travel to rack up points and not enjoy the travel experience and I guess one cannot do that unless you are well off with the accom expenses and living costs too often. He says 7,500miles travelled. That's not a huge amount right and that UA has decreased the 100% bonus to 50% I think for 2012.

Edit. Yah. I am from New Zealand so I generally use Asian carriers unless I am heading to or thru the USA. And b/c the seldom nature I probably just wouldn't belong with a USA FF programme. Coming from that point of view, it was news to me that USA cheap flights gets 100% points. Even a AirNZ programme with AirNZ - the really discounted seats even for INTL gets absolutely "zero" points but do get minor status points.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
And if you're doing it to RETAIN high-level status, there can be a decent chance that the low-cost transcontinental coach seat could get upgraded to the front of the plane.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
The purpose isn't to accrew miles (primarily). It helps him retain his elite status and he gets the occasional voucher for getting bumped. He doesn't do this too much anymore though due to his new business. I would suggest reading up on the thread here for new members.
What thread are you talking about?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.