Wiki Posts
Search

Airline Miles for Bank Balance?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA Gold, InsideFlyer subscriber
Airline Miles for Bank Balance?

Can a forum member please point me in the first direction for program whereby I can earn airline miles each month for my bank deposit balances?

It has been awhile since I have heard of this type of program... when I checked into a few years ago it looked good, except I valued the bank interest at a higher level than the airline miles.

With deposit interest rates today at such low levels I am now interested in this type of bank reward promo.

All leads appreciated!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can earn AAdvantage miles with BankDirect. You'll find a thread in the FT AA forum to request a referral, which will earn you and the referrer a 1,000-mile bonus.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Originally Posted by midnightio
Can a forum member please point me in the first direction for program whereby I can earn airline miles each month for my bank deposit balances?

It has been awhile since I have heard of this type of program... when I checked into a few years ago it looked good, except I valued the bank interest at a higher level than the airline miles.

With deposit interest rates today at such low levels I am now interested in this type of bank reward promo.
All leads appreciated!
Bank direct does miles for American and Citibank has a similar program. There are referral bonuses if your interested

Mike
Old Nov 25, 2011, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA Gold, InsideFlyer subscriber
Great -- I will check into this program!

I don't think it is available, but if there is a similar program that will earn United (UA) miles that would be ideal.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Not aware of any united deals but some brokerage houses offer bonuses for American, delta and membership rewards

In the back of my mind I call capital one doing something but I have not seen anything locally in our market
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
United mileage offers

I don't think it is available, but if there is a similar program that will earn United (UA) miles that would be ideal.
I believe that the only programs United offers are the one-time bonuses for opening accounts with Fidelity (up to 50K points) and/or TD Ameritrade (up to 25K points).

Here is the link to the offer launch page from the UA website: http://www.united.com/page/article/0...ancialservices
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:22 pm

Capital One offers a Money Market Account that earns 1 No Hassle Reward point for every $20 (based on the average balance for the month) There's a 2500 point sign up bonus with a $500.00 deposit. You can then use these No Hassle Rewards to book flights on UA and earn EQMs when you fly because this counts as a paid ticket.

The account earns 0.55% APY and come with a debit card.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:14 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Milesbuilder
Bank direct does miles for American and Citibank has a similar program. There are referral bonuses if your interested

Mike
Can you elaborate? I'm not aware of any Citibank checking/savings accounts that earn monthly miles based on balance as the OP is asking....
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by daveland
Can you elaborate? I'm not aware of any Citibank checking/savings accounts that earn monthly miles based on balance as the OP is asking....
They have a promotion tide to their CitiGold that can get you 23,500 in miles. I believe it is still on going. If you go to the branch and ask about CitiGold they can look it up.

There are some threads and Mr Pickles blogs about it

http://www.themrpickles.com/blog1/

Mike
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
As others have indicated, BankDirect has a pretty good program. They have a rule of only one account per household, with no way that I have found to circumvent it.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:20 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Yes IF you don't have an existing Citi account you can get a one time bonus. But you will not earn any recurring AA miles based on balance (though you will earn Citi Thank You Points based on activity - again not on balance like BD).

I know of no Citi program with recurring miles based on balance.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 2:23 pm

Caveat: Citibank has a history (do a search) of sending IRS Forms 1099 for miles earned for opening bank accounts. In my case, I opened a savings account and they sent me a 1099 valuing the miles at 2.5 cents each. This pretty much negates the value of the promotion for me, though your mileage may vary, literally.

I haven't kept up with which accounts they do this with, and of course one never knows when they will change the practice, one way or the other.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:49 am

New BankDirect monthly fee

As of January 21012, BankDirect has instituted a $12 per month fee on all checking accounts regardless of balance. This will negate the value for most account holders.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by drbench
As of January 21012, BankDirect has instituted a $12 per month fee on all checking accounts regardless of balance. This will negate the value for most account holders.
It was good while it lasted...
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Wink

Originally Posted by drbench
I wish. Unfortunately the fee is kicking in 19,000 years earlier in January of 2012.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.