FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   Who is offering mileage search toolbars? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1272709-who-offering-mileage-search-toolbars.html)

mikeef Oct 25, 2011 9:38 am

Who is offering mileage search toolbars?

US Airways is the only airline/hotel program that I know of that offers miles for searching through their toolbars, but I believe that there are others. Anyone know of any?

Mike

LizzyDragon84 Oct 25, 2011 9:42 am

United has one for their shopping mall. Right now they're running a promo where you can get 500 for installing and using the bar and another 1,500 for a purchase of $125 or more through it. The promo ends on the 31st. Otherwise, I think you can earn up to 100 miles a month for doing searches with it.

moo-moo Oct 25, 2011 9:52 am

I fooled around with these toolbars a bit. I also eventually gave up on some of them too, due to high frustration.

American
US Air
Hawaiian
United (new one has no counter. not sure if searches qualify)
Delta (no counter? not sure if searches qualify?)

I seem to recall reading about AirMiles.ca having a toolbar but never tried that one.

IMO, all these toolbars are extremely flaky with problems like miles not accruing, searches not counting or totals getting randomly reset. Also, miles have been very spotty on crediting for every airline except Hawaiian.

goalie Oct 25, 2011 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by moo-moo (Post 17332671)
I fooled around with these toolbars a bit. I also eventually gave up on some of them too, due to high frustration.

American
US Air
Hawaiian
United (new one has no counter. not sure if searches qualify)
Delta (no counter? not sure if searches qualify?)

I seem to recall reading about AirMiles.ca having a toolbar but never tried that one.

IMO, all these toolbars are extremely flaky with problems like miles not accruing, searches not counting or totals getting randomly reset. Also, miles have been very spotty on crediting for every airline except Hawaiian.

Bolding mine: PC only. Mac version "coming soon" :(

swy Oct 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Not a toolbar, but if you search through Bing, you can get credits which can be converted to AA miles. The current exchange rate is 413 credits => 100 miles. They cap the number of times you can get credited for searches per day (excluding small number of additional easily achievable credits). I can get 100 miles in just under a month. Not the best way to get tons of miles :p

This is also the only way to get miles with web search I know that works with Macs.

diljs Oct 25, 2011 3:16 pm

just about everyone seems to lately.

rajuabju Oct 25, 2011 6:24 pm

I use Hawaiian and AA's just to keep miles from ever expiring... honestly, its not worth using them for actual searches. I've never had an issue with miles not posting properly... I run 3-9 searches a month on each.

I also load up the United one, but it doesnt seem to have a counter for searches.

belfordrocks Oct 25, 2011 7:02 pm

Most of these toolbars are nonsense- the miles you get for searching are nothing compared to the time you waste with sub-par search engines.

pcharles Nov 14, 2011 12:49 pm

Is anyone getting their miles consistently?

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 17335688)
Most of these toolbars are nonsense- the miles you get for searching are nothing compared to the time you waste with sub-par search engines.

Is anyone getting their miles consistently for these toolbars?

I've uploaded the AA, UA, and US toolbars and have completed the searches each month for 100miles on them for two months now and no miles have posted. Neither has the UA sign up promo for 500 mile bonus.

I plan to remove the programs if this bs nonsense is going to continue. It is frustrating to say in the least how these airlines do not hold up their end of the equation.

cuongduong Nov 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by swy (Post 17334215)
Not a toolbar, but if you search through Bing, you can get credits which can be converted to AA miles.

Bing is by far the most consistent way to get AA miles.

I have only earned 100 miles for my searches via AAdvantage Shopping toolbar for July. I haven't received anything else since then.

kdoughboy Nov 15, 2011 12:16 pm

The greatest use of these miles-earning search toolbars is to extend the expiration date of your miles. Since we all tend to have balances in many different programs with varying expiration dates, you can switch among the toolbars, perform a few searches, and let the paltry number of miles you earn for the searches deliver more than their face value by extending the life of your existing miles. Other than this extremely useful benefit, the toolbars are largely useless.

Does anyone know if any of the hotel programs have toolbars? Would make it very easy to renew the expiration dates of those oh-so-valuable hotel points.

sun_aa Nov 15, 2011 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by pcharles (Post 17448459)
Is anyone getting their miles consistently for these toolbars?

I've uploaded the AA, UA, and US toolbars and have completed the searches each month for 100miles on them for two months now and no miles have posted. Neither has the UA sign up promo for 500 mile bonus.

I plan to remove the programs if this bs nonsense is going to continue. It is frustrating to say in the least how these airlines do not hold up their end of the equation.

Remember that the toolbar and shopping mall aren't run by the airline but by a third party which in this case is Cartera Commerce.

Before Cartera took over, I used the US toolbar for a grand slam hit and they posted automatically. Now that Cartera has taken over AA UA DL and US shopping malls, you can expect never to see your miles without a lot of fight. They have even removed the counter from the new "shopping assistants" so you don't even have any proof that miles are missing.

Given how bad the search results are, the only way to use these toolbars should be through bots/macros/scripts running in a virtual machine.

Saas Nov 15, 2011 5:16 pm

Just received this from US Airways:

"If you have the Dividend Miles Toolbar you can no longer earn miles with it. Here’s how to uninstall:"

And right after everyone installed it to get Grand Slam hits. :td:

sun_aa Nov 15, 2011 9:25 pm

And hopefully people who did this in Nov will still get their points and a hit.

belfordrocks Nov 16, 2011 3:04 am

My miles from US tool bar have posted (500 for downloading), but I'm not using it to search because their search engine is just so bad.