Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airline mile is depreciating the fastest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2011, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

If you could list some of the fastest depreciating airline miles right now what would they be?

Last edited by factory81; Oct 16, 2011 at 7:22 pm
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
USAirways miles have essentially lost 30-50% of their value in the last year or two. "Low" mileage, which used to be the norm, is now only available to fly to Fresno in February on a Tuesday, or other similarly in-demand flights. To get anywhere you really want to go it will cost you 60-100% more than it used to.

And that's if you can get them - 20% availability rates are the norm based on recent published articles comparing award availability.

I guess they wouldn't be considered depreciating the fastest now - they're already at the bottom.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
The new UA. Unless you'll be flying 100K+ EQMs per year, you're no longer earning a 100% elite bonus starting at 50K per year. For example, right now, if you fly 50K per year, you'll end up with 100K RDMs in your bank. Next year, it will only net you 75K RDMs. That's a devaluation to me.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I was able to redeem a US F award
in low tier wiith no problem recently.
DL was impossible, UA/CO/AA possible.

So I would say DELTA, except they
depreciated quite a while ago, of course....
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HY Diamond
Originally Posted by Fanjet
The new UA. Unless you'll be flying 100K+ EQMs per year, you're no longer earning a 100% elite bonus starting at 50K per year. For example, right now, if you fly 50K per year, you'll end up with 100K RDMs in your bank. Next year, it will only net you 75K RDMs. That's a devaluation to me.
Shouldn't difficulty of accumulating miles lead to appreciation rather than depreciation, as reward redemption is limited?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Actually, I would say the opposite: Because UA is now reducing the bonus miles given to elite members, there will be less miles out there, thereby making UA miles potentially worth more.

The reduction of bonus miles means less miles chasing awards and upgrade seats, and less pressure for UA to devalue their award chart.

So while it may have been a devaulation of status holders, I would say that it is a potentially good development for UA mileage holders.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:48 pm

I don't know how anyone can answer anything other than Delta (for US airlines). Do we need to drag out the 670,000 business class redemption to Rome?

It does seem US has devalued some for domestic flights, and there are worrying signs as well for other airlines. In general though I still think UA/AA miles are the best, followed by US (for star alliance partner awards internationally). Of course it depends on the person. But the one real advantage to Delta miles was better availability for elites and the last-minute changes from business redemptions to economy using a guaranteed elite upgrade. That's gone now.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Actually, I would say the opposite: Because UA is now reducing the bonus miles given to elite members, there will be less miles out there, thereby making UA miles potentially worth more.

The reduction of bonus miles means less miles chasing awards and upgrade seats, and less pressure for UA to devalue their award chart.

So while it may have been a devaulation of status holders, I would say that it is a potentially good development for UA mileage holders.
Problem is all the credit card offers. If want to bulk up on miles and not 1k then churn the cards. Seems like the airlines are pushing the lower tiers to be credit card churners rather than flyers. Who needs status when you can flip a couple of cards and fly business to Europe?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I am surprised at the lack of venom against DL. Have they done something good lately that I did not notice?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I am surprised at the lack of venom against DL. Have they done something good lately that I did not notice?
DL has been rock bottom for years. At some point they had to slow down their increasing suckitude. The law of the second derivative.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by mosu84
At some point they had to slow down their increasing suckitude.
lol learn something new every day.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by LeviFlight
Problem is all the credit card offers. If want to bulk up on miles and not 1k then churn the cards. Seems like the airlines are pushing the lower tiers to be credit card churners rather than flyers. Who needs status when you can flip a couple of cards and fly business to Europe?
I agree. Note that I was replying to a post on the specific reduction of elite status bonus. There are, of course, other sources of miles that may have increased in supply.

Also, unlike the Citi AA cards, with UA/Chase, you can't "flip a couple of cards" as easily, given Chase's limit on churning bonus. This past year has been an exception, due to the merger of UA/CO and their card products, but in general, churning is less of an issue with UA/Chase.

Further, one must remember that FT is a small part of the overall membership - a few thousand churners do not have too big of an impact within the millions of card member base.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: nwa spg aa ua
Originally Posted by factory81
If you could list some of the fastest depreciating airline miles right now what would they be?
This depends on one's travel needs and how you define "fastest" but for me it was the devaluation after Delta's lunch of NWA.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL, AS, Good food in distant places
Originally Posted by mosu84
DL has been rock bottom for years. At some point they had to slow down their increasing suckitude. The law of the second derivative.
That is BY FAR the funniest thing I've read on this blog in months. I agree. The only good thing about redeeming miles on the triangle is the biscoffs...
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: Several dozen
So what is the suckitudity of the various airlines? Is there an objective way to measure suckitudity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.