Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Flight from KUL-JFK, should I go with Kuwait Airways (cheapest) vs AA to earn miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight from KUL-JFK, should I go with Kuwait Airways (cheapest) vs AA to earn miles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Question Flight from KUL-JFK, should I go with Kuwait Airways (cheapest) vs AA to earn miles?

Hey everyone, I'm new here! I have a burning question that I felt like I should ask, even though it's probably too late for me now.

Last year, I paid $930 for a flight from KUL to JFK in Apr/May on Kuwait Airways. I jumped on it immediately, cos it was extremely cheap compared to other next cheaper options - $1,400+.

This year, I'm making the same trip with Kuwait Airways again in June, but it's now $1,100+. The next cheaper option is with American Airlines at $1,400+ as well.

I'm just wondering if it would be worth it after all to pay extra just so I can get the miles with AA, which I presume to be more valuable and easier to redeem with? I feel like Kuwait's Oasis miles are semi-worthless considering how hard it is to redeem the ticket with the miles. Again, probably too late now to cancel and stuff, but it would probably be worth knowing for my future trips next year.

Thanks guys!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:19 pm

Forget the miles if you can buy a so cheap flight!! saving a huge of hard earned money is preferible.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:27 pm

This is a cost analysis. Between last year and this year youre saving $700+. At that rate when you book another flight from kul-jfk in 2015 its like essentially getting the flight for freee due to the savings of 2012, 2013 and hopefullu 2014....eventually youll be ablr to use those KU miles thus equating to 2 "free" trips.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by Quarantine

I'm just wondering if it would be worth it after all to pay extra just so I can get the miles with AA, which I presume to be more valuable and easier to redeem with?
That's a pretty unwarranted assumption, in my opinion. Since bankruptcy AA miles have become MUCH more difficulty to redeem at the SAAVER level. You should read the AA forum and see for yourself.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

I stand corrected then. Thanks a lot for the replies guys, really appreciate it!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
Unless you are needing about 10,000 miles for a certain award or level, I'd buy the cheap ticket.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

At the moment, no I don't need the 20,000 miles (return) on AA. I just thought it might be worth considering since Kuwait's planes are undesirable especially for a very long haul flight, but paying for the much cheaper ticket does make sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.