Search

AA Miles for $0.00072 per mile (AA Shopping) - NOT HONORED

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, IHG, HHonors
Originally Posted by musicalholiday
Just got email from Verizon regarding my headphones from this morning:

Dear Valued Customer,

Your order has been completed and is in the process of being shipped to you. You are no longer able to make any changes to this order. For more details on your order status visit http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/o...rderStatusForm

Tracking number included!
Just got 2 also, for my hockey pucks!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Given the restrictions on accessories according to the T&C how about getting a few phones? HTC trophy is cheap. If you don't activate it when you get the hardware..can't you stall long enough to see if the miles will post?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:18 pm
jdl

I just got "item has shipped, you cannot change order" emails for 3 of my 5 purchases. Wahoo!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by sargenet
Yeah... I have been tempted ALL day...but decided not to waste my time.

I have been a user of the AA shopping mall for years. Before I make ANY purchases with a vendor I always look at their "terms and conditions" on the main page before I click through.

In this case the terms and conditions specifically state that miles will not be awarded for accessory purchases. The only miles they even give are a little over 1000 for signing up for new service.

<SNIP>
I do not think things are that cut-and-dried. These items do not quote a number of miles per dollar spent, they quote a specific number of miles you will earn if you purchase the item. If the item does not qualify for any miles because they are accessories, then they can't simply post that you will receive a fixed number of miles for purchasing this item and then bury in the T&C "Ha, ha, this item doesn't qualify because it is an accessory."

The fact that a number of orders have been cancelled (assuming this to be a fact), suggests that Verizon is aware of the problem but is not removing the erroneous information. If they are aware that the information is wrong and continue to accept orders knowing that people are purchasing the products in reliance on that information, then they are on shaky legal ground.

More troublesome is that there appear to be new items being added throughout the day. If this is true, it is further bad faith on the part of Verizon. If they knowing put erroneous information out there, they can't claim it is just a price mistake, invalid promotion, etc.

I suspect that Verizon will not pay off the full 83K+ per item, but I do not think they'll get off without paying anything. At a bare minimum, they better be prepared to accept all returns without restocking fee.

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by FT_Reader
I guess you did not get the point of this thread. It is a gamble and that is all that it is.
I got the point. I understand it is a gamble. But it is better to gamble with $3 then $50 for a headset (which is what was happening in the morning).

Also there are a number of people who jumped on this GAMBLE and have never even used the shopping mall before.

They are placing the order, then going into their AA shopping mall account to see if it is showing up. Most orders don't even begin to show up for 20-30 days in the pending category.

If it doesn't show up you can email customer service after 45 days and they will research.

Believe me... I am all for taking the gamble too. That glitter protector is looking mighty good...

It has been mentioned before... sounds like a Cartera Commerce glitch..not verizon Wireless...yet they will benefit from all the orders...

yeah but maybe

Its a gamble. Sounds like they are going through with the orders so they maybe stuck. Without any changes. I sent one in for all five of us. All were members of eshopping..... just one item though. To much to gamble past that. Can wait to see what happens.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:20 pm

Smile

As of a couple minutes ago, I received 3 emails for my three orders placed at around 11am pacific time telling me my orders have shipped. The tracking numbers are included in the email. It states that I cannot make anymore changes to it.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:21 pm

Just one display protector. Don't want to be greedy and can't see this really posting, but $3 is like a lottery ticket. Why not?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:21 pm

Anybody have a phone # to cancel my orders?

I don't want to waste $20 and hours for something that isn't going to happen....
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
I posted this on SD and figured I'd share here, too. Addressing some concerns:

> The terms that limit rewards to new plans/accounts are applicable to those signing up for new service. An argument otherwise doesn't hold water because they wouldn't publish specific mileage amounts next to accessory purchases that don't involve plans, as you can't purchase a plan for an accessory per se.

> The question of whether they can "afford" to honor this offer isn't relevant/ AA mints miles, and miles sold to merchants for far less than the value a customer may obtain from them through redemption.

> If you *know* this is a mistake and you aren't expecting the miles, they don't need to give them to you, as you aren't relying on their promise to your detriment. However, if you are making this purchase *because of* the promise, i.e., spending $5 and then out that $5 to your detriment if the miles don't come through, you have a case for them to make you whole from a legal standpoint. The concept is "detrimental reliance [goo.gl]", a form of promissory estoppel. They do *not* necessarily have to issue the miles, but they do need to make you whole. They might argue that allowing you to keep the accessory without further action required, combined with a refund of what you spent, would meet this objective. In other words, if they make the argument that it was an obvious error and they don't need to honor it any more than mistake fares are honored, that would be valid. However, they still need to make anyone who relied on the promise to their detriment whole. They'll have to at least refund your $5. That makes this a no-risk deal in my estimation... you are essentially spending a few minutes of your time, but not risking money, in the hope that they'll honor some or all of the promised points for PR purposes.

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Confirming Emails!

I just got two emails confirming that my orders shipped and including tracking nummbers! Let the games begin.

xlax

Just had my 50 Billion miles post, no problems at all.

As a side note, this thread is growing super fast. Almost faster than I can read it. Perhaps there should be a sticky at the beginning that gives updates of this "deal". I can't keep up with reading this thing at this pace for the next few months as the events unfold.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
I suspect that Verizon will not pay off the full 83K+ per item, but I do not think they'll get off without paying anything. At a bare minimum, they better be prepared to accept all returns without restocking fee.
If anyone is going to suck this up, it will be Cartera Commerce. Sounds like a glitch on their end...they just took over from Vespia. I have a couple of missing orders on the shopping mall from other vendors (Groupon and Target) that I have waited oover 30 days for and they did not show up. I emailed customer service and got a response back from Catera Commerce (which is new!!)..

I think they manage the database not Verizon Wireless...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: All of the Above
I too just got a shipping order with a tracking number. I ordered this AM. I bought a mere 49 headphones. I wanted to stay below 50 to not cause any red flags. So I should receive 4,109,679 give or take a couple miles. Not too bad for a days work.

J/k, I just ordered 1 headphone and 1 palm dock thingy, 2 separate orders, about an hour apart. Only got the shipping for the headphones.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA, US Air, Amex MR
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless, America's most reliable wireless. We do appreciate your business.

This email is to confirm the cancellation of your internet order. You have not been billed for this order. If you have not requested your order be cancelled, please call us at 1-888-374-7782.
My order for Palm inductive charger was just automatically cancelled as well. Ordered a couple hours after deal went live. Super annoying this is it SAYS to call if you have not requested it to be cancelled. Upon calling it just jerks you around their automated system with no clear options until the system hangs up on you. Anyone know how to get through to an Agent and say that I didn't request the order to be cancelled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.