Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

AA Miles for $0.00072 per mile (AA Shopping) - NOT HONORED

AA Miles for $0.00072 per mile (AA Shopping) - NOT HONORED

Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:19 pm

catera=not worth it

Since Catera runs a bunch of these online malls, badly...it makes it not worth shopping. I am about to have to fight for my Months of Miles promo from UA shopping mall, run by, guess who.
United changed the terms from unlimited to 25k max and wrote a letter to everyone (no problems with that, 75 purchases= 25k from UA)
The problem is Catera changed the eligibility of Home Depot $10 gift cards a few weeks into the deal and didn't mail anyone and didnt post it plainly on the shopping site (none of the screens nessesary to place another order showed the change in terms)....so now after multiple e-mails only 41 out of 75 have posted, up from 12 but with no explanation of why not all of them. I had to find out about the change of terms from a thread on FT...they have no communication besides the kolandra bot. Wanna new cause to hate Catera MM? Can you write some letters for me? (jk)
I used to shy away from the online milage malls because stuff was overpriced which meant you were still paying for the miles.
Now I stay away because Catera runs promos and changes terms without notice, renigs on offers after the fact, has poor to no communication with customers, and can't post correct point totals in a timely manner.
We should raise hell with the respectable companies putting their name on the Catera mall and tell them we demand better.
Marathon Man, work up a good form letter showing our disgust, and we can send it to AA, DL, UA and any other companies that have a screwed up Catera run website.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:30 pm

In most cases I would laugh at a suggestion of a class action suit as almost always the attorneys are the only ones who walk away with anything of value but in this case I suggest someone file a suit.

Ideally the lead plaintiff should have be innocent bland person no litigation in their past.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Centurion
In most cases I would laugh at a suggestion of a class action suit as almost always the attorneys are the only ones who walk away with anything of value but in this case I suggest someone file a suit.

Ideally the lead plaintiff should have be innocent bland person no litigation in their past.
Why would you suggest class action? So that everyone only gets a nickel when we're done?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Document everything to a t. Pm me and we will later email. Im only on my phone now til after jan 1 but will try to gather everyones horror story from both threads and anything cartera.

I am taking them to small claims court over ua mom and other failures like yours. Since i live near them and the court it would be held in is near them and near where i grew up, it will be no problem other than gas and more of my time to go enjoy visits with me dear olde mum between sessions.

Cartera could have avoided this but they are slow and they appear to lie a lot.

My goal is to get my miles in cash or as miles plus compensation for wasted time they cost me. My other goal is to expose their innept ways and scam ridden sales model.

Happy new year.

Mm

Originally Posted by wise2u
Since Catera runs a bunch of these online malls, badly...it makes it not worth shopping. I am about to have to fight for my Months of Miles promo from UA shopping mall, run by, guess who.
United changed the terms from unlimited to 25k max and wrote a letter to everyone (no problems with that, 75 purchases= 25k from UA)
The problem is Catera changed the eligibility of Home Depot $10 gift cards a few weeks into the deal and didn't mail anyone and didnt post it plainly on the shopping site (none of the screens nessesary to place another order showed the change in terms)....so now after multiple e-mails only 41 out of 75 have posted, up from 12 but with no explanation of why not all of them. I had to find out about the change of terms from a thread on FT...they have no communication besides the kolandra bot. Wanna new cause to hate Catera MM? Can you write some letters for me? (jk)
I used to shy away from the online milage malls because stuff was overpriced which meant you were still paying for the miles.
Now I stay away because Catera runs promos and changes terms without notice, renigs on offers after the fact, has poor to no communication with customers, and can't post correct point totals in a timely manner.
We should raise hell with the respectable companies putting their name on the Catera mall and tell them we demand better.
Marathon Man, work up a good form letter showing our disgust, and we can send it to AA, DL, UA and any other companies that have a screwed up Catera run website.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Centurion

Hmm, I'm quite innocent. And many people tell me I have no life (Just look at my post count here.), so I guess I could be considered bland.

Mike
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:04 am

Welll, dispite my efforts, I am resigned to the fact that I'm not going to get my second 2,500 miles award. I made two separate transactions going though the AAdvantage eshopping portal. I went through the portal both times but the transactions never showed up anywhere (how does that happen?) to satisfy Catera. I emailed Cartera but no response. I hate that. You go through the portal for eshopping, but then, for some reason, it doesn't register as having gone through the AAdvantage eshopping portal. I made two transactions because the first one ended up being for less than one dollar and I was worried that it might not trigger the 2nd 2,500 miles bonus. Geesh. I am positive I went through the AAdvantage eshopping portal. Oh well, that's the thing with trying to earn miles with the on-line shopping portal: "play at your own risk."
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ive tried many a scheme and im often loud boistrous and cras. But im honest and i keep thorough detailed records and if a promos hole negatively affects me i will call the marketer out on it.

In this case im going to claim against cartera for their many lapses in the ua mom promo where many of my miles are still missing. They said theyd be in my ua acct by now and they lied. This will affect the ua side of that promo. I stand to not gain the miles i paid in to gain.

I will cite the "mistakes" cartera claims it made in aa,dl, pc with this verizon gig as further proof that no matter who i am or how i may be viewed by some, it is cartera, not me, who was clearly in tje wrong.

I am from the local area where they are located and am appauled the community lets them exist there.

The company has mishandled hundreds of our various postings. I may ask people here for their stories to help prove this point but even if i just shared mine alone it would be sufficient. However, i also plan to get a judge to see how this company ought to be forced to give everyone in aa and ua all their miles and maybe more, and fast. And that they either change their way of doing business or cease same.

I sent off for the claim forms for the sc court right before going away for the holidays. When home i will officially file

Mm
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
How about the AA case? Any luck on that Marathon Man?

Good luck!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I couldnt agree with you more my friend... and this gig reminds me of many things I have seen over the years in here.

Sadly, however, this Carterian blunder and the United MoM Carterian blunder are the ones finally making me throw in the towel with all things mall.

the simple sad fact is this:

They will probably NOT hire smart people with judgement because they want to save money. They make money by crimping on everything around them in order to create the belief that this is saving it.

And like so many things, they simply do not see that one of the ways to have saved money would have been to have hired smart people with judgement in the first place. A little up front cost would have saved them a boatload in the end!

Again, I cite the wondrous example from a poster yesterday who basically did nothing but sit back and buy ONE iTune for $1.29 and ended up with 5k AA miles. Cartera's stupidity caused them to take a bath.

Sadly, the people who may ultimately pay for it will be the you and me of the future:

~lessened mall offers (ie, a store that would have offered 5 miles per dollar now offers 2 or 3)

~longer wait times for miles to post (they get paid on commissions. If they hold the funds longer they can work with those monies more and more before paying out, just like many of us have done in the past when buying coins with our CCs and using the money for things until we need to pay the CCs back on a certain due date. So in order to lengthen the amount of time these Careterians can float that commission money and pay out money, they simply slow down the post time and further delay the processes that pay out our miles!)

~possible further devaluation of miles. Right now, it is said that Cartera views a mile as being worth $0.03. Imagine if this changes for the worse!

~less people to solve issues (as if the ones in place now do anything--if you can even reach the right ones!)

~the hiring of less experienced personnel that cost less to employ... and this results in badly designed and presented pages, like, oh, the new United mall that, when it rolled out, looked like something we might see in a beta test!

~Further farming out of jobs and tasks, so that malls and other features may be created or managed by people who arent even part of the parent company (similar to when a company hires a CS department overseas only worse, because at least those companies actually do train those people to some level)

~And more.

then again, I'm one of the drama queens in here so what do I know?

Here are the FT lyrics for a popular 70s Abba tune you all may know and will now hum no matter what

You can scan, you can buy
Having the mileage time of your life
Ooh see that promo, watch that FT scene
Dig in the forum drama queen

Friday night and the lights are low
Not looking out for a place to go
Sit where you play the right music, at home alone by your PC
You come in to look for an award king

Anybody could be that guy
Night is young and the music's high
With a bit of CC savvy, everything is fine
You're in the mood for an online mall dance
And when you get the mistake fare chance

You are the forum drama queen
Not so nice or sweet, only seventeen [posts]
Drama queen, feel the click-and buy scene
From the mouse and keyboard and screen, oh yeah
Any luck?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by millsdale
People, one thing to consider is if the 0.0000001% chance they honor this, is what it would do to award availability. We would become the AAdvantage Somali Shiling Mile (1USD=33300 Shilling), it would make the skypeso look like gold.
No, we would book AAnytime awards.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

muawahahahahahaha!

NO my plight was from a milesbuzz thread where evil spirits battled with me.

as for Cartera... Some here who also follow the United MoM promo thread know I am filing in SC court against them for all the missing miles that will botch the tallying of United from hundreds of UA MP shopping mall purchases. There is no way those can be construed as 'mistakes' on the mall site, so if it's all about 'getting Cartera' then I think we got em.

We shall see, though... case could be in April. I may try to schedule a mini DO in the area for it!

MM
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
muawahahahahahaha!

NO my plight was from a milesbuzz thread where evil spirits battled with me.

as for Cartera... Some here who also follow the United MoM promo thread know I am filing in SC court against them for all the missing miles that will botch the tallying of United from hundreds of UA MP shopping mall purchases. There is no way those can be construed as 'mistakes' on the mall site, so if it's all about 'getting Cartera' then I think we got em.

We shall see, though... case could be in April. I may try to schedule a mini DO in the area for it!

MM
Please keep us Non-United folks posted here as well! and Good Luck!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ritz
Please keep us Non-United folks posted here as well! and Good Luck!
Thx. Will do my best to inform both threads. Maybe others will wish to come to court when i post the date i am informed of.

More to come...
Could have hearing in april, so said the ct clerk.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
If I don't already have an immovable object, I'll be there.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Firewind
If I don't already have an immovable object, I'll be there.
man I love the way you wrote that hahahahahaha

awesome!

yes, we will get a lot of people to come and see what the judge does...

Warden Samuel Norton: [icy] ..."We'll have us a little book barbecue in the yard. They'll see the flames for miles. We'll dance around it... You understand me? Catching my drift?... Or am I being obtuse?"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.