[Expired] 50K AmEx MR for Additional Cardholders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] 50K AmEx MR for Additional Cardholders

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: aa, spg
Hi all, I was able to add my wife over the phone and the rep confirmed the 10k points.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but if I add my parents as AU, does that in any way affect their ability to get a card of their own at some point?

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
added 5 on GOLD PRE personal but was told PLAT BIZ does not qualify for this code! (2x times - 2 calls)
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: US CP
Confirmed 3 AU's for my Plat card. The MR CSR confirmed and made a note in my account that there was NO Limit to this promotion. Cardmembers just had to make one purchase within 4 months of receiving the card.

Also, approved them without SS#'s
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:25 am

To the folks that keep asking about whether doing this promo will affect those people's chances to get "new customer only" promos in the future....

I only speak from one person's experience, but I can tell you that I have signed up for numerous promotions over the years that were all for "new customers only". There does not appear to be much of a validation for that condition. But technically, you could be denied if you are not a new customer. It's in their T&C and it is their right. At least right now, they seem far more interested in signing up new accounts than enforcing their T&C agreements. As always and at any time, YMMV.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Got my account notated and added 5 users to PRG (with name & DOB only; rep said SS# was optional), but took quite a bit of time.

1) First call to 800-AXP-EARN; on hold awhile, they don't see code 5721 at all; transfered me to Points Balance; on hold awhile, they don't see code either; transfered me to Cust Service; on hold 3 diff times, finally see code but don't see it applying to me as is targeted and they can't add me to it there; have to apply through channel rec'd offer. I say okay, thanks.

2) I call back 800-AXP-EARN; says experiencing long wait times. I wait 3-5 mins. CSR says doesn't see that PRG code in their database. I explain what it is for, after few mins searching CSR finds the code. Says it is targeted for cardholders who got card between 1/10/11-12/31/11 and gives 10k MR pts after first purchase by each new cardholder within 4 months, up to 5 add'l cardholders can be added for free. Notates my acct, says points should post 6-8 wks after purchases made; call back if don't post automatically.

Thanks to all for timely info on this promo.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Heels05
Confirmed 3 AU's for my Plat card. The MR CSR confirmed and made a note in my account that there was NO Limit to this promotion. Cardmembers just had to make one purchase within 4 months of receiving the card.

Did you pay $45 in total as OP suggested or $175?

Additionally, is this $45 (or $175) an additional annual fee?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
added 5 on GOLD PRE personal but was told PLAT BIZ does not qualify for this code! (2x times - 2 calls)
Let me know if you call again and are able to get it... I think someone here just said that a rep confirmed that it is eligible for all MR point cards.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: Yes.
Originally Posted by Heels05

I also just added my fiance as an AU. The rep was happy to process without the SSN, but stated that the card will not be mailed until I call back with the SSN. Did your CSR say they would mail the card without SSNs?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
i just love consistent answers from Amex. Hell, for 100K miles I will spend my lunch hour recalling and recalling to get it all done. First time easy, now after 3 calls back on track. No ss but they want email addresses
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:37 am

Here is my own personal experience and a clarification.

If you are a Platinum card holder, you can add authorized users as EITHER Gold card or Platinum cards. It costs $175 to add up to 3 AU at the Platinum level and $45 to add up to 5 AU at the Gold level.

If you are a Premier Rewards Gold card holder, you can add up to 5 AU free of charge.

That is why you are seeing some people talk about "$45 for 5" and other people bragging about getting it for free. Nothing about this promo changes fees for AU additions. Standard fees are followed based on your card type.

I was able to, on one phone call, add the promo to both my Plat personal and my PR Gold personal and then add some AU. I was asked to give both SSN and DOB and didn't know the trick about politely refusing SSN at the time so I provided them. I was told it will NOT result in a credit pull but will be used to determine if that person has been blacklisted by Amex in the past. As such, they used the term "approved" to indicate success with the additions of my AUs since they passed that check. I have some very credible intel from a friend that one of his AU's had the account report on their CR as an open account, even though it did NOT result in a credit pull. So be wary of that.

In order to do all of that on a single phone call, I had to transfer back and forth between MR and Card Services. Started with MR to get the promo added to the Plat, then to Card Services to add the AUs. Then back to MR to confirm the promo was on my PR Gold, then back to Card Services to add AUs to that one, too.

One last data point of interest: my second MR guy said that because both of my cards are linked on one MR account, that enrolling my Plat automatically enrolled my PR Gold account for the same promo, thus there was nothing further that needed to be done. Makes me a little nervous, but gives me an easily arguable point if the miles don't post properly in the future.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:39 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by econjon
I also just added my fiance as an AU. The rep was happy to process without the SSN, but stated that the card will not be mailed until I call back with the SSN. Did your CSR say they would mail the card without SSNs?
Mine gave no stipulation about needing SSN before they mail out the cards.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by econjon
He said it usually would but I may be contacted by a CSR.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LarzMN
If you are a Platinum card holder, you can add authorized users as EITHER Gold card or Platinum cards. It costs $175 to add up to 3 AU at the Platinum level and $45 to add up to 5 AU at the Gold level.
Is that a one-time fee or $175/$45 annually?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by lxjenkins
Is that a one-time fee or $175/$45 annually?
I know for the Plat card it is annually.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Niomi
Let me know if you call again and are able to get it... I think someone here just said that a rep confirmed that it is eligible for all MR point cards.
AMEX is just crazy. Always live by the rule if you don't like what you hear call again and again and again.

Called MR line - 800-297-3276

Got a great rep. Said sure could add cards and add code. Did not need to send me to card services. Did NOT need SS#'er.

2 accounts 1 hr on phone = 100,000 MR points. Unreal.^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.