Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

hotel discounts for government employees.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 1999, 2:29 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Who qualifies for the usually lower rates that government employees receive from hotel chains? Are teachers, policeman, postal clerks, etc. eligible, or just supervisors? Are state and federal workers qualified, or does the discount include local governments and their employees? I would appreciate anyone's expertise on this subject.
Old Jun 27, 1999, 5:04 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
If you show a government ID, you'll probably have no problem, that's assuming they even ask for a government ID!

I work for a military contractor and we will use government rates at hotels, and I've done this many times. I was asked once for my ID and said it was in my car and the girl said it was alright. I would have just showed her my company ID and told her that we are entitled to government rate because the government is paying for my room (which is technically true).

I've known several people who use the government rate like this even for vacations and such, hardly ever without a problem. The only place I know of that they really check ID's is Crystal City up by DC.
Old Jun 27, 1999, 7:27 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Your best bet is probably to call the hotel and ask who qualifies for their government rates.

My husband works for the federal government and used to travel frequently on business. A few hotels would ask to see his ID, only rental car agencies were real sticklers, asking to see his travel orders. You might be surprised to find that frequently the government rate at hotels is higher than the best rate available - they tend to match their rates to the federal government per diem rate for that city.
Old Jun 28, 1999, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
As a University of Massachusetts (public) faculty member, I have been told by several US hotels that I'm eligible for a government rate, even when my travel isn't related to university business. Doesn't work outside the US, unfortunately.

The savings tend to be largest at medium-high but not top-end hotels. The extra-fancy ones don't have to cater to government travelers. Cheap places don't have to cut their rates as much to fit under the per diem limits. (Motel 6 doesn't have a government rate at all.)

I've often found the government rates to be better than rates negotiated by the biggest employer in the vicinity, such as at the Marriott right next to NCR in Dayton.
Old Jun 28, 1999, 11:00 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seems to vary quite a bit and as already stated, calling is a good idea but you are more likely not going to get a good straight answer and showing almost any ID, assuming you are asked, will usually be fine. On the other hand, a few years ago I was asked to show my "current" check stub, since "an ID could no longer be valid." My advice if you think you qualify is to book it and if worse comes to worse, you end up paying a slightly higher rate or leave and stay elsewhere!
Old Jun 28, 1999, 6:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
I also work often for a government contract and carry a card to verify that condition. However, I have only been asked to show the card once in 9 years, at a LaQuinta Inn in Ft Worth. Staying at Monterey in the Hyatt I have saved $60 a night by reserving a government rate and never been asked to prove that requirement when checking in. Only downside is your room may not be premo.
Old Jun 29, 1999, 10:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
Recently while travelling to Korea on business I booked my hotels at the Govt rates and never once got asked for any ID. I just think that the hotels are not even close to capacity so they take whoever they can get.
Old Jun 29, 1999, 3:53 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You may well have hit the nail on the head-occupancy rates could be the deciding factor!
Old Jun 30, 1999, 7:20 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Some years ago the US Government used Diners Club as its main credit card. The company I worked for was called U.S. (name deleted).

I also used Diners Club at the time and was checking into a Marriott hotel. The front desk clerk looked at my card (must have seen the U.S. on it, looked at her computer, began typing and then printed out my folio. She presented it to me and said, "Mr. Wind, I have lowered your room rate to 49.00 (I think), which is the government rate. You should tell whoever is making your reservations for you to make sure they have you booked correctly in the future."

I didn't argue!

TW

[This message has been edited by Tolarian Wind (edited 06-30-1999).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.