Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Up to 3000 free AA miles

Up to 3000 free AA miles

Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: AA, BA, CO
Originally Posted by kdoughboy
I was subscribed to the eSummary and the NetSAAver fares emails but unsubscribed before I tried the appraiser thing. I guess I didn't wait long enough (even though I got an email from AA saying I had unsubscribed) because they appraiser thought I was still subscribed to those two. Regardless I still received 2,000 miles, so hey not bad for a minute's work, but for those who want to full 3,000 I would suggest waiting a day or two for the back-end to update with your unsubscribe requests before doing the appraiser.
Very nice input.
I was subscribed to all 5, and unsubscribed from all but was waiting to hear a feedback from someone. Based off your reply, I am thinking to wait for few days...if you note on the mail that they send after Unsubscribing they say it may take upto 10 days...so best bet would be to wait for 10 days. But even after that It may not work if their appraiser system does not pulll live info(e.g. had a cache). Would like to hear from anyone that waited for one day after unsubscribing.

Last edited by anush3; Jul 14, 2011 at 8:20 am
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wise2u
I don't trust it, the way they value them, the 75k credit card bonus would be worth close to $7500.....x2 or 3 could cause big irs problems for us mile collectors.....just hope they dont start taxing the bonus offers.
Isn't there a limit where if they consider it a gift for their tax purposes that they would have to send you a 1099?...or is it $599 and above, like wages?
I've always thought it was $600 but I don't actually know that as a fact. I think I got that number in my head from seeing that "$600 winners and up" clerk at the ponies. Win $550 and everybody's cool. Win $600+ and the Man gets a cut.

From reading one of the credit card threads, I've gathered that mileage bonuses on CC's do not generate 1099's, but mileage bonuses on bank accounts can.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:55 am

I believe it is $600, hence why a lot of the "valuations" are outrageous but always manage to be below $600. Basically, this is just American Airlines paying for the flights they're "giving away" with tax dollars... cause you can be sure they're deducting these miles at nearly $0.10 a piece.

Taxing miles is coming I think if airlines start pushing valuation at this clip.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Crap,
1000 miles for me.
Did my Friends and she scored 3000.

Should have undid all my subscriptions which I had thought about last night and never did.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:05 am

Oh, I got 3k miles. Forgot to post about my results. So, thanks OP!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've always thought it was $600 but I don't actually know that as a fact. I think I got that number in my head from seeing that "$600 winners and up" clerk at the ponies. Win $550 and everybody's cool. Win $600+ and the Man gets a cut.

From reading one of the credit card threads, I've gathered that mileage bonuses on CC's do not generate 1099's, but mileage bonuses on bank accounts can.
Legally, the Man is supposed to get a cut no matter how much you make. Technically, even if you make $5 you are supposed to declare that amount on you tax return as income. Even teenage babysitters are supposed to declare their earnings. But... creating a 1099 for every person no matter how much they earn poses an incredible hardship for companies, small businesses, families with babysitters. So, $600 is the amount at which 1099's need to be created. But, the Man always wants to be paid.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
So yesterday I unsubscribed Mr. Balima, my Mother-in-law (she was only signed up for a few e-mails) and myself. Today I used the "Appraiser". My MIL only got 1000 miles for the two e-mails that she was not signed up for yesterday. Neither Mr. Balima or myself got any miles.

Upshot - changing your preferences now will not do any good. They obviously downloaded a file of our preferences and are not using current info.

Oh well, I will leave Mr. Balima and myself unsubscribed and will unsubscribe MIL and Mstr. Balima in December. They will eventually do this again. I know they have done this before (that's why we were all subscribed for everything).
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:52 am

thank you for posting the link. i picked up the miles for myself. very helpful.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:05 am

1500 for me, 2500 for mr. e and for my friend who I help with his miles. Hopefully it posts by December without any issues.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by balima
Legally, the Man is supposed to get a cut no matter how much you make. Technically, even if you make $5 you are supposed to declare that amount on you tax return as income. Even teenage babysitters are supposed to declare their earnings. But... creating a 1099 for every person no matter how much they earn poses an incredible hardship for companies, small businesses, families with babysitters. So, $600 is the amount at which 1099's need to be created. But, the Man always wants to be paid.
Right, legally it should be reported. But AA is clearly abusing the practical knowledge that few will read about their outrageous valuations and, out of those, only a select few will report it (if any). I'm sure you're aware of that, but for those posters who might not be I felt like saying it.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Glob AA Plat
3k miles ftw!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, US, RR, HH, SPG, PC
1,500 for me
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by honr
Got 1000 miles, for some preferences . didnt see video though.. maybe would have got more.. well!
Note: "The Appraiser" does not allow you to go back (restart the "appraisal" process) and sign up for offers you passed on the first time. He gives you but one shot at it.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
Just got an automatic email from AA confirming that I would receive the 2,500 bonus miles I got from the appraiser.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:23 pm
g11

Programs: SPG Gold, Sixt Gold
Am I the only one who didn't get a confirmation email? I did the appraiser last night, so about 24 hours ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.