100K AA
80 US Air
75 CO
60 UA

My GF has:
105 BA
75 CO
15K Amex points

Is there a way to book a coach flight and be sure of being able to upgrade to business class with miles?

Any suggestions generally?

Last edited by humesd; Jul 4, 2011 at 6:19 am
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by humesd
I have the following miles:
105K BA
100K AA
80 US Air
75 CO
60 UA

My GF has:
105 BA
75 CO
15K Amex points

Is there a way to book a coach flight and be sure of being able to upgrade to business class with miles?

Check with BA but i think you can take Cathay on LAX-HKG-BKK in Business for 100k BA miles.

Logic: THis page tells you BKK is considered 'Far East' for BA partners: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...lateId=ba6.jsp

This Page Gives Miles Required on Partner Airlines by Destination and Origination: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_us

50k for economy and 2x for that business.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 8:11 am

CO usually has good availability and is 65000 for economy.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Your 80k USAir miles are enough for a coach award on Thai LAX-BKK. If you can get a few more, perhaps you want to redeem for business. No way to upgrade a coach award to business though. I find C availability is better than Y on this flight.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:58 am

Unless you are 'little people' use the miles on AA or BA (100K) for Biz. It's a long d*mn flight. Upgrading is a rip off unless you fly all the time and are trying to gain or maintain status. Try to avoid the 'coffin' herringbone config on CX which is claustrophobia inducing and makes it near impossible for couples to communicate. Check Seat Guru. You can book OWs to mix and match to get the times and planes you want. I don't know if this makes any difference, but BA will charge you a couple hundred each way in fuel surcharges and taxes. wj
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by humesd

Can someone answer the question the OP actually asked -- paid coach with a firm upgrade to Business using miles? I'd like to know as well since I have miles in the same ff programs and am looking at options.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: W/P1.9MM & Charter+ DL Diamond 2.15MM, AA EXP 1.95MM, AS MVP .6MM, O/P .9MM, A/C & S/C
Coach to Biz Upgrade

Not certain whether the OP wants to purchase (book) economy and use miles to upgrade to biz, or wants to to use miles to "book" ticket and upgrade, which can't be done. Please clarify.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

"Not certain whether the OP wants to purchase (book) economy and use miles to upgrade to biz"

Yes this would be great to buy a coach ticket below $1000 and upgrade for 50K.

I tried to do on a domestic Delta flight however and was told that upgrades were available but by class of coach could not be upgraded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.