Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

This is going to shock you... (People who don't sign up for FF programs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

This is going to shock you, but my dear parents, who are otherwise pretty smart people, fly to Asia at least twice a year and they never bothered to sign up for a single frequent flyer program in all these years of flying!

In the past three months, they've flown to HK from SFO and from there flown to Taipei, Shanghai, Thailand that I know of...who knows where else they've flown...I've just found out they don't want to "bother" with miles!!

My question: is there a way I can sign them up for a frequent flyer account with one of the airlines and then retroactively claim the miles for them? I know on Continental I can ask for flights that didn't get credited, but can I do this with Cathay Pacific especially if they flew before joining the Asia Miles program? Or can they fly Cathay Pacific and still credit British Airways? (I recently signed up both for the BA Chase card - they're shocked they have one of those mileage accounts to deal with now.)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Mods, please move this if this isn't the proper forum, not sure to post under Cathay or BA, thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
im shocked
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Marriott Lifetime Silver; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
Most FF programs will allow you to get credit going back six months...
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by love2ft
I've just found out they don't want to "bother" with miles!!
You folks are v. wise. ^
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
You folks are v. wise. ^
And most people I know don't go through shopping portals (miles or cash back) when buying online.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by hautecouTours
Most FF programs will allow you to get credit going back six months...
If you were a member of the program on the date flown.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kayjay
If you were a member of the program on the date flown.
Correct. You cannot claim miles from dates when you weren't a member of an airline's frequent flyer program.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:42 pm

Well SOME airlines allow retroactive credit if you join within a set period after taking the flights.. but clearly not the ones the OP is interested in!

I'm curious about one thing.. what cabin do they fly in?

IF they fly C/J all the time I can see their point. They would get all the status benefits (lounge etc) as part of the paid ticket... and don't "need" to save miles for upgrades/travel...

If OTOH they fly in Y then... Yes, I am shocked!
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by freakflyer
And most people I know don't go through shopping portals (miles or cash back) when buying online.
Why? Would you go through airbnb shopping portal if you're planning where to stay? Used this tool to do people search and found a lot of people saying the same thing as you. So I'm starting to wonder if there's any truth in that.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:12 am

First I see people not using coupons at the grocery store and now this, next I am going to find out dogs and cats are getting along
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by rofly
Correct. You cannot claim miles from dates when you weren't a member of an airline's frequent flyer program.
That is not universally true. It depends on the airline. CX and AA do not allow credit for flights prior to joining, for example. UA and US do allow credit for prior flights up to a certain amount of time (or at least they used to). It's worth checking on an individual airline basis to be certain.

More to the OP's parents' particular situation, they may be able to get some BA credit for applicable partner flights. BA's page for retroactive BA flight credit specifically allows credit for flights up to 3 months prior to joining (note you will need a BA number to log in and view the following links):

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_us

Their page for retroactive partner credit, BA is silent on retroactive credit. I'd have your parents submit the request and see what happens - nothing to lose by trying!

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...gf/?eId=191001

I'm actually not surprised at all by your parents. I know several people, many at work, who also don't feel it's worth the bother. I think they just don't realize how the programs work and/or are put off by rumors (or CapOne commercials) implying it's impossible to actually use the miles for a useful award.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
Originally Posted by mrx900
im shocked
me too
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Their page for retroactive partner credit, BA is silent on retroactive credit. I'd have your parents submit the request and see what happens - nothing to lose by trying!

British Airways states that retro miles after joining Executive Club are NOT possible with partner airlines---at least with the family option.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Tailgater
British Airways states that retro miles after joining Executive Club are NOT possible with partner airlines---at least with the family option.
You're right, in FAQs it addresses partners. It seems this is true even outside of the household accounts

Q Can I claim missing BA Miles and Tier Points after I have travelled on British Airways' partner airlines?

A Current members can claim missing BA Miles and Tier Points for flights on British Airways' airline partners within 6 months of travel. Print and complete the Claims for airline partner flights online form, then fax it with a copy of your flight ticket and boarding card.

No credit will be granted for flights you flew on our airline partners prior to your enrolment in the Executive Club.
I'd still suggest the OP investigate whatever specific airline(s) the parents flew, or applicable airline partners of interest, for their policies on prior credit.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tell your parents they should at least sign up to be eligible for upgraded seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.