Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

CC Companies taking their miles back. Is this true?

CC Companies taking their miles back. Is this true?

Old May 18, 2011, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, CO
Unhappy CC Companies taking their miles back. Is this true?

I just read somewhere that if you close your cc account before the annual fee hits, some credit card companies take that bonus miles away. This was specifically mentioned with Chase cards.

So am I risking taking my 100K BA miles and closing card 10 months into the account life?

ever had you miles taken back?
Old May 18, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Radisson Silver, AA, Amtrak, BA
the general rule of thumb is to keep the account open for at least 6 months and then you won't run the risk of losing your miles

personally, I cancelled the BA card after 11 months and still have the miles

Originally Posted by Igor718
I just read somewhere that if you close your cc account before the annual fee hits, some credit card companies take that bonus miles away. This was specifically mentioned with Chase cards.

So am I risking taking my 100K BA miles and closing card 10 months into the account life?

Old May 18, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
I closed my BA Chase cards over a year ago, and I cancelled them when I received the bill with the annual fee on it, since they would not waive the annual fee I cancelled the card, I still have all of my BA miles.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by jimcoddington
I closed my BA Chase cards over a year ago, and I cancelled them when I received the bill with the annual fee on it, since they would not waive the annual fee I cancelled the card, I still have all of my BA miles.
Same experience here. Closed at 11 months and still have ~116,000 miles in my BA account
Old May 18, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
The Chase annual fee on the BA card hits right away before you get any miles. If you are talking about losing the miles for not paying the second annual fee, I'd find that hard to believe.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: Many
I don't think they could

As a matter of law, how could they, unless this was explicitly part of the terms and conditions (must keep account open for X months/years)? The only circumstance I could see would be if the miles posted, then you later had a credit against an expenditure that caused you to miss the spending requirement. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that once the miles post to your FF account, they're yours, not the credit card company's.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Some here have mentioned that there is a no fee version of the BA card that gives 1mile/$ (?). Try to convert to that is possible.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:35 am

I did the spend and got the 100k miles before my annual fee hit. I cancelled without ever paying the annual fee, kept all the miles.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: most of them
If they already gave you the miles it's hard to see how they could "take them back" unless explicitly set forth in the T&Cs. And anyway, what would they do if you already spent the miles?
Old May 18, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Capital One will...

I haven't ever had miles or points taken from AA, SPG or Hilton...as they "transfer" those to the hotel or airline program. But I do always wait at least 6 months...

I did read that you want to use up your "miles" in Capital One before closing....as those you will lose once you close your card...
Old May 18, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I often close my CC accounts the month after the miles post, putting me in the best position to churn should a new offer become available. The only time I ever had a problem was with a Chase United card. They told me that if the account was open for less than 6 months that they would take the miles back. I couldn't find any such language in the T&C, but kept it open the required 6 months anyway. Never had any issue with any other card.
Old May 18, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Can you provide a link to where you read that please?
Old May 18, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by sargenet
I haven't ever had miles or points taken from AA, SPG or Hilton...as they "transfer" those to the hotel or airline program. But I do always wait at least 6 months...

I did read that you want to use up your "miles" in Capital One before closing....as those you will lose once you close your card...
Cap1 are points, not miles in a Cap1 program. So yes if you close the account you are no longer in their program so it would be impossible to use them. But all you would have to do is order gift cards to bring balance to zero.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Does any third party miles provider have the authority to easily "pull" miles from your account, and is it just some easy automatic thing they do without the airline having to investigate it? Seems like it could be messy.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have also generally waited 10-11 months before closing, makes it even more important to keep a good record/tracking sheet of when annual fees are due so you can be prepared.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.