Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Chase United Mileage Plus Card denied --> What should I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

hi,

I am new here. Please tell me hints and tips to solve the problem I have

In March 10, I applied for Chase Continental Card and got 50k miles posted around April 10.

On April 13, I applied United MP card for 30k miles and $50 credit and today I got a denied letter from Chase. On this letter, there is a phone number to call for questions (1-888-270-2127). The letter stated the reason for this denied application is "Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us"

I know I am stupid for applying for the second Chase card, but I have no other choice. The reason I applied for United MP card is an urgent need for the miles that I need to travel in June to see my family in Europe. I can not afford for a high price airline ticket of $1400. I have a good standing credit score. I am wondering if there are tips or hints to convince them on the phone that they re-approve my application again. Thanks for your help and your tips.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 1:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
How many hard pulls do you have on the agency that Chase uses?

You can try and call to see if they will reallocate some of your credit line but I don't hold out much hope - Chase likes much more time between applications.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 2:44 am

If you haven't used the miles yet from your CO account, you can combine your CO and UA accounts and transfer miles between them.

As for Chase- you're probably out if luck for now. With them, you need at least 60 days between applications. Ideally, six months is even better- otherwise you may have to close cards or change credit limits to get approved.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA, BA, CO, US
OP, give Chase a call and see if they will move some of your credit line around so you can have both cards. There should be a reconsideration # on the letter, or look for it on here or Google it.

Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84
As for Chase- you're probably out if luck for now. With them, you need at least 60 days between applications. Ideally, six months is even better- otherwise you may have to close cards or change credit limits to get approved.
This just isn't true. MANY people (myself included) have had luck getting Chase card within much shorter periods of time. (Ex: I got the CO card in Feb and I just got the BA card)
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by kts262
This just isn't true. MANY people (myself included) have had luck getting Chase card within much shorter periods of time. (Ex: I got the CO card in Feb and I just got the BA card)
+1

OP, in my short experience (and many many others) with Chase just the last 4 months, no such time limit exists. Chase is VERY accomodating on the reconsideration calls if you have some credit to move around. I got their Freedom card (a bit of a waste by signup-bonus standards), the CO 50k card about 2 months later, and just got the BA card a few days ago--only 1 month after the CO 50k. I was denied for both the CO 50k and BA card for the same reason you stated. Called the number on the letter (when prompted about why so many cards/apps--I honestly explained that I apply for many good deals with major airlines because I travel often, I have good credit, and it would be foolish not to avail myself of the these opportunities), offered to move some credit around, and approved both times. It's really easy.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Credit has tightened in the past 30-45 days. What might have worked in the past, won't anymore. You can certainly call Chase and ask and maybe they will reconsider. But, remember, those "free" miles aren't really free. They are part of a business deal between Chase and UA. Chase needs to want your business and, if you have two cards on what are functionally the same business, CO & UA, why would they want to?

You also need to be careful making multiple applications for credit. Even the fact of an application can reduce your credit score and hurt the rates you are offered going forward. Those miles aren't really "free" and you may well wind up paying a great deal more in interest down the road than the $400 you are concerned about here.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nature1370
I know I am stupid for applying for the second Chase card, but I have no other choice. The reason I applied for United MP card is an urgent need for the miles that I need to travel in June to see my family in Europe. I can not afford for a high price airline ticket of $1400.
I think you may have some illusions about the usability of these miles too. Do you see available awards right now for your needed travel dates? Even if you do, there's no guaurantee they'll still be avialable by the time you would have gotten those UA bonus miles (which would be another month even if you had gotten approved yesterday). A "guaranteed last seat" award costs twice as many miles as a "capcity contorlled; may be avialable or may not" award. Yet you seem to be counting on the latter definintely being available by the time you gather all the miles together for a very specific trip.

And based on recent events, had you not been denied for this reason, you might have been denied for a brand new reason somebody has been given: "We at Chase know that UA and CO are merging, and so you cannot get a UA card because already have a CO card."
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
The whole 'don't apply in 60 days or 6 months' thing is a YMMV situation.

My wife and I both applied for Chase Marriott, Chase Continental, and Chase British Airways within 60 days of each other.

We also applied for the Chase Hyatt last November (within 6 months of all these)

Got approved for the first two no problem. Got denied for the second two, yes, but with one call to that number, reallocated credit from both lines and got approved. That's 4 Chase cards in 6 months, 3 of them within 60 days of each other for each of us. So two unique situations where both times we got the same result (reallocated credit > approval). YMMV

Good luck! I think a friendly attitude and polite requests with the right agent goes a long way.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Credit has tightened in the past 30-45 days. What might have worked in the past, won't anymore. You can certainly call Chase and ask and maybe they will reconsider. But, remember, those "free" miles aren't really free. They are part of a business deal between Chase and UA. Chase needs to want your business and, if you have two cards on what are functionally the same business, CO & UA, why would they want to?

You also need to be careful making multiple applications for credit. Even the fact of an application can reduce your credit score and hurt the rates you are offered going forward. Those miles aren't really "free" and you may well wind up paying a great deal more in interest down the road than the $400 you are concerned about here.
If you don't me asking, where are you getting the info from that credit has tightened in the last 30-45 days? Do you mean at chase or in general?

I got the CO card in late February and the BA card in early April. I was originally denied for the BA card but called and spoke to someone who approved the BA card with a matching credit line to my CO card without me having to actually re-allocate any from that line. I believe that it really is an individual matter.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Take a look at weekly reporting in Wall Street Journal. Credit is, of course, individual. The person $10 Mill. cash in the bank can get 100 credit cards on one day and the person with $50 and successive bankruptcies can't get one. The change is that the standards, as reported, get higher and higher. What is also true is that because credit scores are lowered by multiple applications, people who apply for multiple cards in short periods of time, may or may not get the cards, but may well see higher rates should they need a mortgage or a refi. 1/4 of a point on a 30-year mortgage adds up to a whole lot more than a paid F ticket around the world.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 1:31 pm

I recently applied for both the CO and UA 50k cards on the same day. Both were denied for "too many applications with us." For both of them, I called the reconsideration number. I first did CO and was approved with a $10k line. The next day I called about the UA one, and while the rep was a little hesitant, she split the $10k line in two and approved the other card. So, of course, it can be done, but YMMV.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys for all the useful tips. I just got off the phone with a Chase agent. I had luck this time after trying to convince her to reconsider my application. First she explained to me the reasons for this denied application like I have 3 CC with Chase (Amazon, Freedom, CO). The total credit line on these 3 cards is so high. After a long talk on different questions regarding to my private information and the provided tips from you guys, she was able to relocate my credit lines and approve my application. She said the new card will be on its way and I should receive it within a week. At this moment, I am really thankful for all the tips from all of you. You guys made my day.

Thank you
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA, CO, Delta
Originally Posted by mj12g
I recently applied for both the CO and UA 50k cards on the same day. Both were denied for "too many applications with us." For both of them, I called the reconsideration number. I first did CO and was approved with a $10k line. The next day I called about the UA one, and while the rep was a little hesitant, she split the $10k line in two and approved the other card. So, of course, it can be done, but YMMV.
I also applied for both CO and UA 50k cards on the same day last Saturday. I received the dreadful "we'll get back to you in 30 days" response...How long did it take for Chase to send you a response after you applied? My dad also applied for the CO card yesterday and got the same "we'll get back to you" response. Is it hard to get Chase cards?

Thanks!

Last edited by appl3; Apr 22, 2011 at 6:51 pm Reason: changes
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA, CO, Delta
Ok just called the number and got the CO approved. Should I try to call for United tomorrow or tonight?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 3:18 pm

1.applied for CO and UA on the same day in march. both of them resulted in 30 day reply message
2.CO got approved with 16k limit and UA denied
3. called, and they pointed out that I got 2 citi cards, 1 FIA card in Feb, and CO card from chase in March. and I already have 4 cards with chase.
4. after waiting for 30 days, I canceled two chase cards (freedom, amazon.com) and called again. no luck. called again. same thing. called again. before CSR asked few things I pointed out that I closed chase cards and it has been 60+ days since I got citi and FIA cards. she asked about my income, rent fees, reason for getting both CO+UA card and stuff, and put me on hold while reconsideration review was being made. and yeah! she was able to approve it but had to move credit line from CO card. CO card already had 16k limit which was way too high for me, so I made it 8k/8k. so happy now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.