Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Old Jun 23, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA (Executive Platinum), SPG, BA Executive Club, Hilton (Gold), Hyatt (Platinum)
Smile From Blue to Gold!

I've read the flyertalk forums for a while now but have never posted...this is my first one! I'm glad it could be good news...

I wanted to get the 75K deal but if I wasn't able to get a guarantee then I didn't want the ding to my credit nor did I want to get it when I could potentially qualify for another deal with Amex Gold down the line.

I have the Amex Blue card and never used it because it's on the Membership Rewards EXPRESS program which sucks. Here are my steps to success:
  1. I emailed a secure message from my Blue account inquiring if I could qualify for he deal as I hated the MR Express program and was looking to upgrade. The response was English-as-a-second-language and the CSR said Blue cards could not be upgraded because Blue is a credit card while Gold is a charge card...which I understood but perhaps I wasn't clear that I wanted the offer in order to get the Gold and ditch the Blue to upgrade my MR Express points to the regular MR program.
  2. So, then, I decided to just call the customer service line and spoke with a representative. I gave her the bonus ID# of 5894. She then told me the offer ID# and told me that the bonus offer expires July 1, 2011 and would be valid until then. I asked if I'd be able to apply online and she encouraged me to try...Lo and behold, you can't unless you have the RSVP code.
  3. I called back and spoke with an apply-by-phone rep and she looked up my address to see if the offer was ever sent to me. Since it wasn't, she said she couldn't do anything for me because their system doesn't allow them to bypass the RSVP code. I even tried throwing in that Chase Sapphire offers 50K so why would I want to go with Gold at 10K when I can get the Chase Sapphire at 50K. But she wouldn't budget.
  4. Not to be deterred, I hung up and decided to email again. This time, I gave them both the offer ID# and the bonus ID#; I told them I wanted to apply for the Premier Gold. I also mentioned my excellent credit record and Chase Sapphire's current bonus offer.

And, voila!

We understand your interest in this regard.

Please note that these offers are sent on solicitation basis by our Marketing team. If you didn't receive an invitation to apply under this offer, you will not be able to find it online.

In order to assist you appropriately, I can take one time exception for you. You go ahead and apply for the Premier Rewards Gold Card via regular link.

Once your account is opened, write to us and I will manually apply the offer id 5894 on your account.

I have also made a note on your Blue Card account so that when you contact us later, the offer can be applied to your new Gold Card account without any delay.

I hope this helps. Have an excellent day!
So, the lesson of my experience is that if you do want to know whether or not you can get the bonus before applying for the Gold card, then, you can...it just might take a few tries.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by infamousdx
This should be interesting.. and convoluted.

- Applied through 50K + 2 years waived Columbia
- Switched to 10K
- Wrote to match Columia offer
- Was approved on both 50k + 2 years waived, but told to write back when points posted
- Points just posted & now I wrote back to be matched to 75K

Would be a huge win to get 75k and the 2 years waived...
Well glad to report back it worked! 75k in my MR account! Happy, I am happy

And to clarify, we have the PR Gold card so the annual fee is $175. So getting that waived for 2 years is fine by me.

Dear Mrs. infamousdx,

As promised, I've gone ahead and issued the remaining 65,000 bonus points on your account.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by infamousdx
Well glad to report back it worked! 75k in my MR account! Happy, I am happy

And to clarify, we have the PR Gold card so the annual fee is $175. So getting that waived for 2 years is fine by me.
That is a lot of work and a lot of luck to get that $175 extra. If this makes you happy, then I am happy for you.

Personally I just dont like convoluted, calculated deals as if one step in the chain does not pan out, the whole thing falls apart. I am a firm believer of Keep It Simple.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:47 am

Any idea when the 75k rsvp code ends or expires? I'm trying to determine if it's too late to apply tonight.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by hqly2001
Any idea when the 75k rsvp code ends or expires? I'm trying to determine if it's too late to apply tonight.
As a general rule on FT, if you read the first couple pages and last couple pages of a thread you likely will find your answer to most questions. The answer to your question is three posts before yours.

Last edited by Milezjunkie; Jun 24, 2011 at 9:42 am
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Happy
That is a lot of work and a lot of luck to get that $175 extra. If this makes you happy, then I am happy for you.

Personally I just dont like convoluted, calculated deals as if one step in the chain does not pan out, the whole thing falls apart. I am a firm believer of Keep It Simple.
Understandable understandable. It's a lot of steps and risky but a lot of work, surely not. It was just 2 SM's. We were lucky for sure though. Luck of the draw with who answers your emails/calls.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:15 am

I was instantly approved so I sent an e-mail a few hours after approval and was shot down by the "account manager". I might wait until near the end of the day to try again so that I get a different person. Otherwise, I guess I will have to wait until I activate the card to see if that'll work.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Amex Gold Business card questions

Has anyone also applied for the Amex Gold Business card and tried to bump up the offer to 75K MR right after getting the Gold personal?? I was thinking about getting the biz card also.

1)are you using the same promo code #5894 for getting the Biz card bump in MR

2)Does Amex ask for verification/proof of the business (like Citi) as I don't really have a business but do some part time work for extra cash

3)Success rate of getting the Biz Gold card with mileage bump??

Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by freezone
Has anyone also applied for the Amex Gold Business card and tried to bump up the offer to 75K MR right after getting the Gold personal?? I was thinking about getting the biz card also.

1)are you using the same promo code #5894 for getting the Biz card bump in MR

2)Does Amex ask for verification/proof of the business (like Citi) as I don't really have a business but do some part time work for extra cash

3)Success rate of getting the Biz Gold card with mileage bump??

Thanks
Yes - at least a few of us have been able to do the 75k bump on the Bus card.

1. No - it is promo code 6499.
2. They did not ask me for any special verification/proof.
3. It is still a YMMV but see this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...fer-75k-5.html
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brian_D
Yes - at least a few of us have been able to do the 75k bump on the Bus card.

1. No - it is promo code 6499.
2. They did not ask me for any special verification/proof.
3. It is still a YMMV but see this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...fer-75k-5.html

thanks Brian,
I'll check out the other thread you mention for more details
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:02 pm

Took a chance and applied for the Gold card just now and got instant approval, but said card will be sent out in 7-10days. I just read the promo codes will expire July 1 and may not get the card in time to activate it on time.

I have the application reference # but not the card itself. Can I add the promo code now if I call it in to MR customer service? Tried using secure email but can't use as it needed an Amex card # and I don't have any Amex acct with them at the moment.

Don't want to miss out on this if new card don't arrive in next 4-5 days.
Any suggestions??

Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:29 pm

I don't think activating the card has anything to do with it. Most promotions start with application approval date. So you should be fine.
Originally Posted by sharka
Took a chance and applied for the Gold card just now and got instant approval, but said card will be sent out in 7-10days. I just read the promo codes will expire July 1 and may not get the card in time to activate it on time.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Inconsistency!

Some of us got the 50K will be issued once $500 spend is met. Some of us told to wait till original bonus posted before the bump up to be issued. It seems all depending on your luck of which rep you got!

Did husband's application this afternoon. Instant Approval. 2 hours later sent secured message to ask for match ID 5894. Got a response in 45 minutes but it is a less than Ideal approval.

First he is reminded the 5894 is for solicitation offer only. Unsolicited accounts are not eligible for the offer. Then the rep detailed the 25K offer.

Though at the end he did say to wait till the 25K posted within 6 - 8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement, then email back and he would issue the additional 50K.

Replied to ask if the 50K be issued after $500 spent as that was the requirement of the ID 5894. Was told "they" are not authorized to do so. (BS as mine and several others were told 50K will come when $500 spend met.).

But the rep did acknowledge account is properly notated to match the ID5894. The rep also gave the email reference to use for later request in case the initial message is purged from message center (only alive for 90 days - about the shortest life among all secured message centers banks use.).

I guess I would need to leave like that and meet the $1K spend ASAP so the 25K would post soon enough, and hope things would progress as promised. But the hope to catch the 50% bonus offer on BA transfer is dashed.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 2:05 am

Programs: United 2P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
I guess I would need to leave like that and meet the $1K spend ASAP so the 25K would post soon enough, and hope things would progress as promised. But the hope to catch the 50% bonus offer on BA transfer is dashed.
Sorry to hear I'd recommend trying again with a fresh message and hope for a new agent. Also, I'd recommend trying to reach the 1K spend as soon as possible because I reached it just two days ago and asked the agent via secure message if they could expedite the processing of my points because I wanted them in time before the BA promo expires and couldn't wait 6-8 weeks, and the super friendly agent said they could make an 'exception' for me and voila! I had 75K points in my account as of today.

Good luck!
Old Jun 26, 2011, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by ddallas
I don't think activating the card has anything to do with it. Most promotions start with application approval date. So you should be fine.

Actually No, because I applied for the Gold card yesterday with the only Amex link I could find (for 15000 points $1000spend in 3 mts, 1st year card free) but I need to add the promo code 5894 ASAP to the account before it expires July 1. I called Membership Rewards to have it added but they said it is not possible until I get the card. I could not send a secure email to MR customer service as I don't have an account with Amex and it seems you need a card to open this service which I currently don't have but waiting for it to arrive in 7-10days--but promo will expire by then. I also tried sending an email to the CS when you apply for the card (application dept and not the MR dept) but was told they do not handle promo codes unless it I was the one that had received it in the mail. It's like a giant loop with no answers.

I'm at a lost here for answers. If you didn't have a MR acct set up (which I can't set up yet as it seems to require 1st having the card in hand) which method did you use to send the secure email to add on the promo code?
Thanks

Last edited by sharka; Jun 26, 2011 at 7:58 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.