Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
we got rejected

this blows... both me and wife got rejected for the premier rewards card. they approved me for the platinum in early march, but not for the premier gold early this month. and we both have an experian 730 score. anybody have any suggestions here?
Old May 27, 2011, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by diclemeg
this blows... both me and wife got rejected for the premier rewards card. they approved me for the platinum in early march, but not for the premier gold early this month. and we both have an experian 730 score. anybody have any suggestions here?
What did they give as the reason for the decline?
Old May 28, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ddallas
What did they give as the reason for the decline?
"Legal items"... which consists of two paid state tax liens, that were actually filed in error, and has been taking a long time to remove. However, they were fully paid. I guess they disregard that when they want my $450 for the platinum. I let Amex even know, what they are looking at, while the application was in limbo. I may cancel my platinum now, Im so pissed.
Old May 28, 2011, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
I could not find a link for this in the first page, can someone share?
Old May 28, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: Some.
Originally Posted by psyflyer
I could not find a link for this in the first page, can someone share?
There is no link. You have to apply for one of the lesser offers out there and then ask for a match with this offer.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RedRiver
There is no link. You have to apply for one of the lesser offers out there and then ask for a match with this offer.
Has anyone tried applying over the phone requesting specifically for the 75K bonus? I don't want to apply for the card under the 10K bonus and deal with the hard inquiry and credit hit unless I know for sure i can get the 75K bonus.
Old May 28, 2011, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Has anyone tried applying over the phone requesting specifically for the 75K bonus? I don't want to apply for the card under the 10K bonus and deal with the hard inquiry and credit hit unless I know for sure i can get the 75K bonus.
This probably isn't the card for you then. As you can see, it's about 50/50 whether they end up giving the full 75K. It's a targeted offer so if you call to apply for it you have to have the code from the mailer.
Old May 28, 2011, 9:34 pm

I don't want to apply for the card under the 10K bonus and deal with the hard inquiry and credit hit unless I know for sure i can get the 75K bonus.
Originally Posted by swat16
This probably isn't the card for you then. As you can see, it's about 50/50 whether they end up giving the full 75K. It's a targeted offer so if you call to apply for it you have to have the code from the mailer.
Yup, from reading up thread, if you need a sure thing, this isn't it. You will want to pass on this one.
Old May 29, 2011, 9:37 am

Arggg

Hi folks,

I have now emailed 4 times and have been shot down by South Asian CRs every time! I have tried contacting under both "General Inquiries" and "Membership Rewards"...

In my letters I have stated that I received the 25K promo and would like to know if I can be bumped to the 75K one. Each time they have said it is a targeted offer only and does not apply to me.

Any tips or advice on how to best proceed? Should I try to call now? Can anyone post what they have emailed? Maybe I'm saying it wrong...

Thanks !
Old May 29, 2011, 9:51 am

Success! I just took it upon myself to call. I got a North American Customer Service guy and I told him my friend got a 75K offer and was wondering if I could be upgraded to that. Without even putting me on hold, I got a "Sure, no problem! We'll happily match that offer for you." That was so easy! Thanks everyone!
Old May 29, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by sheezyfries
Success! I just took it upon myself to call. I got a North American Customer Service guy and I told him my friend got a 75K offer and was wondering if I could be upgraded to that. Without even putting me on hold, I got a "Sure, no problem! We'll happily match that offer for you." That was so easy! Thanks everyone!
Nice.^
Old May 29, 2011, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by sheezyfries
Who did you call - Membership rewards or the number on the back?
Old May 29, 2011, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by flltravel
Who did you call - Membership rewards or the number on the back?
I called 1-800-AXP-EARN (1-800-297-3276) just now (Sunday 12pm EST). I said "Hi there, I'm a first time card holder who recently joined under an offer where I get 25K points after I spend $500. My friend said she just got approved for a 75K after $1,000 spend offer and I wanted to know if you could please match that." I didnt give him the code, just played a little dumb. He said "Oh you must be talking about the promo code 5894. And its only $500, not $1000." He then told me that he put a note on my account and that they will apply the additional points in 6-8 weeks time. Hope that helps!
Old May 29, 2011, 10:45 am

Any idea when the targeted offer expires and what is the code that I need to provide? Thanks.
Old May 29, 2011, 1:04 pm

This is a very YMMV deal. I guess I knew that when I went it.

Anyway, it took me 4 calls and 2 messages but I finally got it. Shot down both times over secure message. The first time I called the agent had notated 5889 on my account (this was before the columbia link was made public) of her own accord since I said I had signed up through the 25k link and she claimed she couldn't give me that since it was inactive but offered me 50k under 5889 instead. Then I called today and the first time the CSR said it was targeted only, and notated my account (without my knowledge). I tried the call back trick and this time an Indian guy (they are the most useless) took my call and said I already had the 75k bonus. I asked for an email confirming the same in writing, which of course never came. So I called back yet again and this time the person saw the note about how I had already called today and had been told it was targeted. Anyway, so I tried to get the 50k as per my first conversation but she summarily rejected me saying that 5889 was Columbia grads only (I think Amex is well aware of this). Then I referred her to my first conversation where the agent offered me that of her own accord without me asking. She said she still couldn't give me that despite it having been notated on my account! Anyway, she went away to talk to a super about the whole situation, came back and said that the super had approved an additional 65k to be applied to my account!

4 calls and 2 messages. Sometimes I wonder why I do this, but when I get to my destination it's always worth it.

Now I just have to do this for another card where I signed up with the 50k columbia link...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.