Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
I applied for a mailed 50,000 point promo back in February. After learning about the 75,000 point offer a couple days ago, I sent a secure message to Amex membership rewards asking if they could match the offer. I had no mention of the bonus code in my message. A few hours later, an Indian rep sent me a message saying that the points would be added to my account. A quick an easy 25,000 points!
Old May 25, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
damn sucks cuz I can't send a secure message until I get my card. Shouldn't have disconnecetd my cancelled delta card from the amex system...
Old May 25, 2011, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldtravels
Yes, many have asked for it and received 75K even if not a new customer. Many instances of that earlier in the thread. Some have not received it.
That is the key. Any type of such incidents, the early birds often got the worm while the companies eventually decided to tightening the give outs. This happened to the recent Chase match up to the CO 50K as well as the Citi AA biz cards approval. If one needs to rely on some data points to make a decision, rely on the most recent info posted, like the past couple weeks if there are conflicting info and do not wishfully think you would be among the lucky bunch.
Old May 25, 2011, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by bitachu
damn sucks cuz I can't send a secure message until I get my card. Shouldn't have disconnecetd my cancelled delta card from the amex system...
I was able to get the 75k commitment from Amex by asking for it when I called to activate my card -- this was about 5 days ago.
Old May 25, 2011, 6:44 pm

How do they define new customer? I had a delta gold card at 2009, canceled nearly a year ago. Am I still a new customer?

I applied for an AA card last Sep and a CO card 2 months ago. Should I wait a few months for this one?
Old May 25, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA, CO, Delta
Originally Posted by tru2logan
Bonus ID on my 75,000 is #1935
How much was the min. spending? Thanks.
Old May 26, 2011, 6:04 am

What's the deal with pending points?

The statement closed last week and I called Membership Rewards (NOT Customer Service) twice. The first rep said any pending points will be automatically made available 5 days after the closing date...well that didn't happen.

So I called back and the next rep said they will be available a few days after the balance is paid.

Are they just making up answers to fit the situation?

Just wondering what the real deal is and how I make these pending points available.
Old May 26, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by bosboy73
Just wondering what the real deal is and how I make these pending points available.
I just emailed about our first statement. I am not worried about the 75K...as I called them last week and asked that they expedite it for an upcoming trip....they posted the 75K which is now in my account.

But I had to email them about my first statement. Which I have already paid...... there are no memberships points showing for any purchases. Just the normal day to day stuff....

I have about $750 of charges and each category on the statement shows "0" miles across the board. And it states that I have earned 0 for the month.

Is this normal with membership rewards? I can understand a lag time from them showing on the statement and then posting on my membership rewards...but not showing a statement with a bunch of charges and the points earned as 0...

I have had Hilton and Starwood Am Ex....and there is always a corresponding point value on the statement for any charges I made that month....
Old May 26, 2011, 7:02 am

Long lag time before posting is typical

Mr. Bergy Bits has a business version of this card and it more or less works out to three months or more between spending the money & posting of the points and that is if the statement is paid in full. You make the charge, you wait, it appears on a statement with no matching points (such as with Chase or SPG), you pay in full, you wait, the next statement comes, the points are often not on that statement either, and sometimes it's not until the next one that they post. This is typical and I'm not sure why. The points when they do appear never match up with the existing statement because they are not points from the existing statement. Someone may say that it's the difference between a charge card and a credit card. Some may say it's Amex but I'm not sure about that since SPG points post immediately.

I mentioned in a previous post in this thread that from the way people were talking, they were thinking that they would get their points immediately and I knew this was not true. No one really picked up on it. When I called to request that our card be upgraded to the 75K, my CSR went to great lengths to explain that this is how it would work, which I already knew. When I handed the phone to Mr. BB so he could request the same upgrade, he was given the same speech.

This is NOT the card to use if you are in a hurry for points!

I see some have had luck in requesting that their bonus points be posted early but I don't think anyone has said they managed to get their spend points posted early. Anyone?
Old May 26, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
This is normal Amex behavior for crediting spending to MR points. I pay my Platinum bill in full the day it's first posted, and I generally don't see the points credited to my account until at least thirty days later.
Old May 26, 2011, 6:51 pm
Original Member

After you pay the bill you can call Membership Rewards and get them to immediately expedite the points.
Old May 26, 2011, 9:50 pm

Tried via "secure message" as well as by phone to get 50K extra points for a card which was opened in late march with the offer of only 25K points.
Both times rejected.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by flltravel
Tried via "secure message" as well as by phone to get 50K extra points for a card which was opened in late march with the offer of only 25K points.
Both times rejected.
Many people reported success the 3rd or 4th times. Try again over the holiday weekend when the overseas office handles the emails and you might have luck.
Old May 27, 2011, 3:14 pm

Got shot down for the second time by an Indian Amex rep over secure message. Will try calling tomorrow and re-messaging on Monday.

It's difficult to get a N. America rep! I messaged late last night PST hoping that a N. America rep would handle it and approve it today but no luck.
Old May 27, 2011, 3:39 pm

Do I have to wait for the new card to arrive?

Sorry if this question is stupid...
Is this offer for Premier Reward Gold or just AMEX Gold card?
Thanks!

Last edited by financeprof; May 27, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.