Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Old May 18, 2011, 10:56 am
  #406  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by ohnodapopo
Actually, they can be transferred indirectly, but 75k amex points will net you significantly less AA miles: http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/
I think that AA miles worth more money than Delta, right? It takes AA 70K to fly to China, while Delta needs 120K. Correct me if I was wrong. Thanks.
JasonZhou is offline  
Old May 18, 2011, 10:59 am
  #407  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by noreservations
Yes.
That's incredible!! I should apply from 50K link. I did it through 25K, since I thought every link would be the same at that time, as long as you called at the end to get them match to 75K. Anyone else get the same luck?! I was considering to call back to see whether they can give me 2 years, too.
JasonZhou is offline  
Old May 18, 2011, 11:19 am
  #408  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by JasonZhou
That's incredible!! I should apply from 50K link. I did it through 25K, since I thought every link would be the same at that time, as long as you called at the end to get them match to 75K. Anyone else get the same luck?! I was considering to call back to see whether they can give me 2 years, too.
Why in the world would you do that? Worst case scenario if you used the 50K link is 50,000 MR points and annual fee waived for 2 years, worst case scenario with the 25k offer is 25,000 MR points and annual fee waived for 1 year.
HoKo is offline  
Old May 18, 2011, 11:45 am
  #409  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 228
I thought the same thing at first (longer term = better) but I'm not really interested in the card all that much beyond the bonus points. The sooner I drop it, the quicker it goes off my credit report. Also, I've never done a transfer from MR to an airline, but I believe there is an excise tax charged on the transfer to US carriers based on the number of miles (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!). I can transfer from SPG to an airline for free, if I'm going to use an Amex card it'll be SPG and not this one beyond the bonus miles and what I have to spend to get them.
Bergy Bits is offline  
Old May 18, 2011, 12:31 pm
  #410  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,708
Originally Posted by Bergy Bits
...The sooner I drop it, the quicker it goes off my credit report.
While true, positive tradelines usually stay on your credit report for 10 years. So if you dropped it today, it would likely fall off 10 years from now, if you drop it next month, it drops of 10 years and 1 month from now. So quicker, but not significantly quicker.
ddallas is offline  
Old May 19, 2011, 7:33 am
  #411  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SW Colorado
Programs: UAL Silver Hilton Diamond Hyatt Plat
Posts: 164
AMEX PR Gold card...a different question

I received an "invitation" for the PR Gold Card with the 75,000 point offer in my name and my husband received the same "invitation" in his name. I have never really played the CC game except changing my Visa cards to better cash back options. But because times are tough I was intrigued with this AMEX offer. After reading 20-something pages of this thread I have a couple of remaining questions I hope you can help me with..

1) Because we received 2 seperate offers, do you think we both can receive 2 seperate 75,000 credit accounts? Seems like I'm asking for alot but ... you never know. Anyone have any experience with this?

2) I live by a regional airport and primarily use UAL or AA as my airlines. Converting points to my FF accounts seems a foolish waste for these two airlines. Because I don't plan on using the other airlines in the near future (only planning on holding the card for the 1 year-no fee time) I was wondering if it's wisest to get gift cards or if using the "pay With Points" thru AMEX Travel had any drawbacks.

I really appreciate FlyerTalk and all the info I glean off this website. Thanks in advance for any advice given!
MTJTraveller is offline  
Old May 19, 2011, 7:58 am
  #412  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: IAH
Posts: 351
Originally Posted by MTJTraveller
I received an "invitation" for the PR Gold Card with the 75,000 point offer in my name and my husband received the same "invitation" in his name. I have never really played the CC game except changing my Visa cards to better cash back options. But because times are tough I was intrigued with this AMEX offer. After reading 20-something pages of this thread I have a couple of remaining questions I hope you can help me with..

1) Because we received 2 seperate offers, do you think we both can receive 2 seperate 75,000 credit accounts? Seems like I'm asking for alot but ... you never know. Anyone have any experience with this?

2) I live by a regional airport and primarily use UAL or AA as my airlines. Converting points to my FF accounts seems a foolish waste for these two airlines. Because I don't plan on using the other airlines in the near future (only planning on holding the card for the 1 year-no fee time) I was wondering if it's wisest to get gift cards or if using the "pay With Points" thru AMEX Travel had any drawbacks.

I really appreciate FlyerTalk and all the info I glean off this website. Thanks in advance for any advice given!
answer to question 1, yes you both should be able to apply as you both have 2 different SSN's.

2) You could convert the miles to CO if you get the miles posted to your account by sept 1 and then you can merge you CO miles with your UAL miles. So it will be a 1:1 transfer. Doesn't seem like a bad deal. However still new to the Pay with points through AMEX, not sure what kind of deals they have. Still waiting for my miles to post so I can run some senarios through and see if I should keep the miles on Amex or transfer them to CO. Also once the points are transferred, it doesn't matter if you cancel the card before the 1 year is up, the points will stay in your Airline account.
encierro98 is offline  
Old May 19, 2011, 8:13 am
  #413  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Posts: 665
Originally Posted by encierro98
2) You could convert the miles to CO if you get the miles posted to your account by sept 1 and then you can merge you CO miles with your UAL miles. So it will be a 1:1 transfer. Doesn't seem like a bad deal. .
I agree... my husband and I just got approved under the 25k links...they upgraded us both to 75K without being targeted...

My first 75k bonus just posted. I was totally disappointed to see how the "pay with points" worked. I was looking at a hotel that was $199 a night....figured since they do gift cards at about a cent a piece, the hotel would be the same...
Nope... they wanted 30K for a hotel room that was $225 with taxes and fees.....

Then I looked at car rentals. I have some upcoming rentals in Hawaii with National. Figured I would get a few certificates for 5K each...value of $50...
Nope: you have to use their link and their rental rate. The same car I am renting on my own is $40 a day... if I want to use their certificates the rental is $80 a day. No value there.....

I won't even consider transferring them to our Hilton or SPG account... not a good value...

So that brings us back to Continental One Pass. I set up a Continental One Pass account for both of us just for this reason. I am going to transfer the miles over to Continental One Pass....then move them over to my United account ....

We plan on going back to Hawaii next year so those miles will come in handy.

Guess I am just a little disappointed in how Membership Rewards works...at least for me. I am going to cancel towards the end of the year.
sargenet is offline  
Old May 19, 2011, 8:53 am
  #414  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 132
Last night my DH called about offer 5894 and the rep said he qualified, that she'd make a note on the account, there was an 8 week waiting period, and to call back then to have them applied. He even asked about accellerating them and she said she couldn't. Then I sent a secure message last night and the rep said he only saw the original 25K and asked for the ID for the additional 50K (I haven't replied yet). We have already met the spend and paid the bill.

Thoughts for the next step? I really want to get these posted to transfer to delta.
jperiod is offline  
Old May 19, 2011, 8:57 am
  #415  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by sargenet
I agree... my husband and I just got approved under the 25k links...they upgraded us both to 75K without being targeted...

My first 75k bonus just posted. I was totally disappointed to see how the "pay with points" worked. I was looking at a hotel that was $199 a night....figured since they do gift cards at about a cent a piece, the hotel would be the same...
Nope... they wanted 30K for a hotel room that was $225 with taxes and fees.....

Then I looked at car rentals. I have some upcoming rentals in Hawaii with National. Figured I would get a few certificates for 5K each...value of $50...
Nope: you have to use their link and their rental rate. The same car I am renting on my own is $40 a day... if I want to use their certificates the rental is $80 a day. No value there.....

I won't even consider transferring them to our Hilton or SPG account... not a good value...

So that brings us back to Continental One Pass. I set up a Continental One Pass account for both of us just for this reason. I am going to transfer the miles over to Continental One Pass....then move them over to my United account ....

We plan on going back to Hawaii next year so those miles will come in handy.

Guess I am just a little disappointed in how Membership Rewards works...at least for me. I am going to cancel towards the end of the year.
We are transferring to delta for the bonus since we also have a delta amex which lets us get amex GCs for 11000 points. Thats a 1.3 cent payout. Otherwise you could get GCs and resell them on plastic jungle. I think Home Depot cards pay pretty decent and there was recently an amex promo discounting the cards 20%? Not sure if it was targeted though.

BTW, I transfered to CO becaust UA had too much starnet blocking to get the flights I wanted to hawaii.
jperiod is offline  
Old May 19, 2011, 10:05 am
  #416  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 169
Originally Posted by sargenet
I agree... my husband and I just got approved under the 25k links...they upgraded us both to 75K without being targeted...

My first 75k bonus just posted. I was totally disappointed to see how the "pay with points" worked. I was looking at a hotel that was $199 a night....figured since they do gift cards at about a cent a piece, the hotel would be the same...
Nope... they wanted 30K for a hotel room that was $225 with taxes and fees.....

Then I looked at car rentals. I have some upcoming rentals in Hawaii with National. Figured I would get a few certificates for 5K each...value of $50...
Nope: you have to use their link and their rental rate. The same car I am renting on my own is $40 a day... if I want to use their certificates the rental is $80 a day. No value there.....

I won't even consider transferring them to our Hilton or SPG account... not a good value...

So that brings us back to Continental One Pass. I set up a Continental One Pass account for both of us just for this reason. I am going to transfer the miles over to Continental One Pass....then move them over to my United account ....

We plan on going back to Hawaii next year so those miles will come in handy.

Guess I am just a little disappointed in how Membership Rewards works...at least for me. I am going to cancel towards the end of the year.
Will Delta work for you? Since that is promotion running for transfer to Delta.
http://dmn.delta.com/offers/getmore/

End of May 31, 2011 and if you have delta gold, and you can get $100 gift card with 11,000 miles.

I am thinking to transfer to Delta, and only 11 days left.. I think this is best option for me, and I agree with that can't get good $ to points convertion within MR.
coco11 is offline  
Old May 19, 2011, 4:37 pm
  #417  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SW Colorado
Programs: UAL Silver Hilton Diamond Hyatt Plat
Posts: 164
thanks.

I just set up a Continental OnePass account and will transfer the miles to my UAL account from the CO account once I receive them. If I'm reading correctly I will receive 1:1.

I thought as much for the AmEx Travel site. I'm too much of a bargain shopper to go that route.

Again , thanks for the answers!
MTJTraveller is offline  
Old May 20, 2011, 11:18 am
  #418  
^_^
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Overland Park, KS
Programs: AAvantage Executive Platinum
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by MTJTraveller
I just set up a Continental OnePass account and will transfer the miles to my UAL account from the CO account once I receive them. If I'm reading correctly I will receive 1:1.

I thought as much for the AmEx Travel site. I'm too much of a bargain shopper to go that route.

Again , thanks for the answers!

Best Answer. (selected by random person on the internet)
^_^ is offline  
Old May 20, 2011, 1:38 pm
  #419  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Posts: 2,509
Originally Posted by sabcoolin
but cant find the link for 25k as well....
See this post to find the link.
pgary is offline  
Old May 20, 2011, 2:10 pm
  #420  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by sabcoolin
So is it possible if i apply for the 25k offer and call the rep to match it to 75k offer?

but cant find the link for 25k as well....
Here is one
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16343552-post266.html
iusb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.