Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Old May 14, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by bodice22
I signed up under one of the links here. I clicked on the 25K offer, but is would change to the 10K offer. I signed up anyway. Got my card and called CS and they said I did get signed up for 25K.
Sent a Secure Msg and got turned down, sent another one and got this:

Dear Bodice22,

You will be happy to know that I have issued 50,000 points to your account. The remaining 25,000 points will be awarded within 6-8 weeks of completing $1,000 spending.

Have a great weekend!

Sincerely, M. xxxxx, Senior Manager, Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services

Thanks for all your help guys!
May I ask which category you submitted the request under? Membership rewards?

Last edited by philemer; May 17, 2011 at 5:12 pm Reason: employee name removed per our TOS
Old May 14, 2011, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by lavag
May I ask which category you submitted the request under? Membership rewards?
Membership Rewards --> Points Balance
Old May 14, 2011, 2:45 pm

wow, just got card today and found out my MR that has 200k points. I was like yeaaah! ...? and found out there's platinum card in my account. I never opened that. I was like shiiiiit identity theft? and called AMEX right away. The representative had no idea until I asked her to check SSN of account owners and they were indeed different. They linked MR accounts up just because the name is the same LOL totally ....ed up. I have to wait until Monday to call to get it de-linked. In the mean time I could use up his $2000 worth pts haha but won't do of course.

I also got letter saying that they upgraded MR to membership rewards first, because I'm eligible for it. I guess I will be downgraded soon.
Old May 14, 2011, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by eurekaya
wow, just got card today and found out my MR that has 200k points. I was like yeaaah! ...? and found out there's platinum card in my account. I never opened that. I was like shiiiiit identity theft? and called AMEX right away. The representative had no idea until I asked her to check SSN of account owners and they were indeed different. They linked MR accounts up just because the name is the same LOL totally ....ed up. I have to wait until Monday to call to get it de-linked. In the mean time I could use up his $2000 worth pts haha but won't do of course.

I also got letter saying that they upgraded MR to membership rewards first, because I'm eligible for it. I guess I will be downgraded soon.
Haha, makes me feel so secure...
Old May 14, 2011, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by greenythebeast
Haha, makes me feel so secure...
it's plain ridiculous.

our billing address is different. SSN is different. the only thing same was our name (first and last). Being as asian, my name is common name to have and I even had friend who have same first and last name in school.

When I tried to activate the card, it asked for my mother's birthdate. I never provided mother's birthday to AMEX before. I tried and got the answer wrong 3 times. I had to call to activate it and they asked why my answer is different than what they had and changed security code for me. I felt stupid for answering my mom's birthdate incorrectly. Now come to think of it, that answer must have been that platinum card owner's mom's birthdate. Now when he calls to do business with AMEX, he will get his secret code wrong next time ROFL.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Easy 75k upgrade

My husband applied under the 25K offer...emailed customer service with the offer code for the 75K....(membership rewards- points). They upgraded him to the 75K offer no problem (we were not targeted...I called and asked before we applied and was told NO on the phone).

I applied last week under the 25K offer and just got my card yesterday. I sent an email to "membership rewards-points" asking for the upgrade to the 75K offer. Received the standard message back saying I would receive a response within 10 hours....

24 hours later..no response. So I decided to call American Express. Spoke to someone in the membership rewards department. Told them I heard about the 75K offer after I applied. She said "no problem...you applied between April and July 1st and qualify for the better offer".

Said that my account is noted that I will receive the 75K offer, but she told me I needed to call back after my initial 25K posts and then they will manually add the additional 50K.

This is a little different from how the handled things with my husband's account. I have been told in writing that it will happen automatically after his first statement .... either way it sounds like it will be taken care of....
Old May 15, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA, USair, United, Amex MR, ICHC, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by sargenet
My husband applied under the 25K offer...emailed customer service with the offer code for the 75K....(membership rewards- points). They upgraded him to the 75K offer no problem (we were not targeted...I called and asked before we applied and was told NO on the phone).

I applied last week under the 25K offer and just got my card yesterday. I sent an email to "membership rewards-points" asking for the upgrade to the 75K offer. Received the standard message back saying I would receive a response within 10 hours....

24 hours later..no response. So I decided to call American Express. Spoke to someone in the membership rewards department. Told them I heard about the 75K offer after I applied. She said "no problem...you applied between April and July 1st and qualify for the better offer".

Said that my account is noted that I will receive the 75K offer, but she told me I needed to call back after my initial 25K posts and then they will manually add the additional 50K.

This is a little different from how the handled things with my husband's account. I have been told in writing that it will happen automatically after his first statement .... either way it sounds like it will be taken care of....
if they said they noted it on your account then you'll be fine. do you know which offer id it is that you "asked" for that's good until july? i wonder if it's a different one than has been going around
Old May 15, 2011, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by metallim
if they said they noted it on your account then you'll be fine. do you know which offer id it is that you "asked" for that's good until july? i wonder if it's a different one than has been going around
I hope so, because I was told the same thing... That my account was noted and that I would have to call back again after the spend to have the points manually added. I used 5894 and was told the deadline to complete my $500 spend was July 1st.
Old May 15, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AMEX Gold MR into Avios, MileagePlus; AAdvantage; Skypesos
Smile SECOND TIME THE CHARM! 75K baby! try, try, and try!

Originally Posted by flyaaah
Oops!

I applied and got instant approval yesterday for the 25K, but I just tried and clicked on the offer again and it did changed to 10K. I have no idea to which I have been approved yesterday. Nonetheless I will call the membership rewards and if not upgraded do the secure message way. On my way to 75K!

I will update the thread with my case, if anybody is interested.
Originally Posted by sargenet

added: I am a brand new member of AMEX, May 2011, no first statement yet, only $61 spent.

Soooo, I have read another poster said that he waited until a Saturday night 8pm to send a msg, expecting NOT to get a North American email rep. It worked for him! I did the same thing last night but I forgot and by the time I remembered it was 9:30pm. Still sent my 2nd secure message after being previously shut down by a NA rep. 10 hours later today still nada. I thought maybe a NA rep will start his work shift and shut me down and that I should have sent it at 8 pm!! I had planned on trying every week either by phone or email but after reading sargenet success just a few hours ago I took a chance and called the high call volume Sunday afternoon membership rewards desk 1-800-AXP-EARN (1-800-297-3276) lost connection three times! With the fear of being shut down or caught by a non valid offer ID, and after being shut down twice by chase on the upgrade extra 25K on their Onepass CC - once months ago and once just this week, yes you gotta try hard! - adrenaline started to kick in!

Someone answers, s**t, it's a North American rep! I went ahead and used the exact line of sargenet above and he asked me for a offer ID "yea...5894" him "give me one minute and I'll be back" 3 minutes later still not there, I almost felt like hanging up!! LOL. him "ok so sorry for the wait, so you are now under the offer 5894, after spending $500, and after waiting 6-8 weeks, you need to call us back and we will manually enter the 75,000 bonus point. Mr Flyaaah I'm making a note on the account, please make a hard copy note for yourself too, and please make sure to take down my name and my employee ID#." This is like a dream answer!!

75,000 BONUS MILES YOU GOTTA LOVE THIS GAME!!

Last edited by flyaaah; May 15, 2011 at 3:22 pm
Old May 15, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Wink

Originally Posted by flyaaah
added: I am a brand new member of AMEX, May 2011, no first statement yet, only $61 spent.

Soooo, I have read another poster said that he waited until a Saturday night 8pm to send a msg, expecting NOT to get a North American email rep. It worked for him! I did the same thing last night but I forgot and by the time I remembered it was 9:30pm. Still sent my 2nd secure message after being previously shut down by a NA rep. 10 hours later today still nada. I thought maybe a NA rep will start his work shift and shut me down and that I should have sent it at 8 pm!! I had planned on trying every week either by phone or email but after reading sargenet success just a few hours ago I took a chance and called the high call volume Sunday afternoon membership rewards desk 1-800-AXP-EARN (1-800-297-3276) lost connection three times! With the fear of being shut down or caught by a non valid offer ID, and after being shut down twice by chase on the upgrade extra 25K on their Onepass CC - once months ago and once just this week, yes you gotta try hard! - adrenaline started to kick in!

Someone answers, s**t, it's a North American rep! I went ahead and used the exact line of sargenet above and he asked me for a offer ID "yea...5894" him "give me one minute and I'll be back" 3 minutes later still not there, I almost felt like hanging up!! LOL. him "ok so sorry for the wait, so you are now under the offer 5894, after spending $500, and after waiting 6-8 weeks, you need to call us back and we will manually enter the 75,000 bonus point. Mr Flyaaah I'm making a note on the account, please make a hard copy note for yourself too, and please make sure to take down my name and my employee ID#." This is like a dream answer!!

75,000 BONUS MILES YOU GOTTA LOVE THIS GAME!!

Only AMEX delivers this kind of service.
Old May 15, 2011, 4:37 pm

Thanks, flyaaah.

Inspired by your post after my failed, shame-free, secure-email attempt -- I called in, pushed 5, "representative", waited 4 minutes, spoke to a US guy about getting registered under 5894, he spoke to an analyst for 3 minutes, and it is now done.

BTW, they close at 330 PDT Sundays.
Old May 15, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Also confirmed via email

I know I just posted about the nice rep who matched the #5894...over the phone...
I also finally received an email also...
---------------------
Dear XXXXX,

I certainly understand your concern regarding the bonus points. Please allow me to assist you in this matter.

You€™ll be happy to know that your Card is eligible for the better offer of earning 75,000 points after spending $500.00 within the first three months of Cardmembership.

Please reply to this email after spending $500.00 on your Card and I€™ll issue the 75,000 bonus points to your account.

I hope I have been able to meet your expectations.

I also noticed that you have been a valued Cardmember since 2007. We appreciate your loyalty and it has been a privilege to serve you since then.

Sincerely, Faisal Khan Email Servicing Team American Express
--------------------

So I am NOT going to wait the 6 weeks to call. By tomorrow I should have met the $500 threshhold and I am going to email the rep and have him update me in the system so that hopefully the 75K will post when my statement runs on the 6th...

By the way...this is the same rep who helped me last weekend with my husband's account....
Old May 16, 2011, 7:58 am

Mr. BB & I each applied for cards & were approved.

Before we received them, I secure messaged thru our SPG Amex. Mr. BB was told targeted promotion only. I was told wait until card arrives & then contact us again.

Received & activated cards. Paperwork with cards contained no evidence of ANY bonus points.

Since I had the more positive of the two messages, I secure messaged again and requested the upgrade to 5894. Promised an answer within 10 hours. None appeared.

At the 16 hour mark, with positive FT posts about NA CS reps, I called late Sunday afternoon. Took the guy a few minutes to get on board & figure out what I was trying to do (he seemed most interested in the offer I had applied for, and since my app was done on the 25K screen that reverted to the 10K screen, I really didn't have one to give him - also wasn't really sure why it mattered). Anyway I got the verbal promise that my record had been noted with 5894 & that the 75K points would post after the $500 spend, along with a lengthy explanation of how MR points post (I don't think some on this thread realize that MR points post long after the spend takes place & not on the same statement that the spend occurs). Feeling lucky, I handed the phone to Mr. BB and he was given the same promise of record being noted and the spend spiel on his card.

52 hours after I sent my secure message and 12 hours after my phone conversation, I received a response this morning that the offer was targeted and I was not eligible. Clearly the author did not look at or doesn't have access to the phone notes, or clearly the phone rep last night was just feeding me & Mr. BB a line. Neither inspires confidence, but obviously I am hoping the phone guy prevails.

The inconsistency of the responses & process in all this really bugs me. While I feel very grateful that Amex is being flexible and allowing the upgrades, the fact that some get it and some don't, the fact that some days it seems people have better luck by secure message & other days the phone works better (I'd frankly rather have the secure message), and the fact that two people in the same household with applications & activations timed within minutes of each other can get such different responses --> creepy.

My plan at this point is to wait until we have had the cards a while and met the spend and then secure message again to get it in writing. At this point I don't know WHAT to do.

Thanks to everyone who posted their experiences - they have been so helpful in guiding my own course of action!
Old May 16, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
I applied through the link for the Columbia Grads that is supposedly for 50K. As it looks at the moment nobody knows if this offer will fly or not. So I am thinking when calling to activate to just ask for the upgrade offer for 75K, but then I am a little afraid it gonna be even more difficult in that case and cause more confusion? What would you suggest?
Old May 16, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA, USair, United, Amex MR, ICHC, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by pianistat
I applied through the link for the Columbia Grads that is supposedly for 50K. As it looks at the moment nobody knows if this offer will fly or not. So I am thinking when calling to activate to just ask for the upgrade offer for 75K, but then I am a little afraid it gonna be even more difficult in that case and cause more confusion? What would you suggest?
don't mention that you're not sure if youre eligible for the 50k bec ure not a columbia grad. just say you heard about the other offer for 75k and you were hoping to be switched to taht one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.