Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Old May 7, 2011, 3:29 pm
  #271  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by jperiod
Last week I applied for the 25K point/$1000 offer and just activated my card last night, before seeing this thread. I just got off the phone with memership rewards (1-800-AXP-EARN (1-800-297-3276) and say "representative" when prompted), explained I had just applied/activated and was disappointed to see this other offer for new card members and asked if I could switch. She said certainly, "we want to make sure you get the better offer," and asked me to explain what I saw and what I had applied for. She then said she needed to get the offer info, if I received an email or letter, and I just said, "Uhhhh, a bonus offer number?" "Yeah" "5894" "Great, let me update your account, please hold." She came back and said she added 50,000 immediately and then I would get the other 25,000 when I made $1000 purchases in the first 3 mths (per the original offer I applied for).

She was more than gracious and seemed pleased to give me the better offer. thanks OP! (now I wonder if I can get my DH to apply to this somehow!)
This is the number I called last month, but I didn't get all the points until after I spent the money and paid my bill.
jperiod is offline  
Old May 7, 2011, 5:35 pm
  #272  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORF
Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Posts: 3,749
I suspect Amex is going to start feeling some heat about this. The Frugal Travel Guy post yesterday not only indicated that people who had just mistimed applications and thus missed out on a higher bonus were making calls but that he had managed to get a similar bonus despite his longstanding status as a cardholder (although it's not entirely clear from his post if he's had a Plat card for 9 years or just has held some other Amex cards for 9 years).

Just imagine how much hue and cry will result if that gets out amongst the Amex Platinum Card community. I'm not too sure how many times Amex can afford to give out 50,000 extra points. I think what we may be seeing is a higher management decision to start shutting down any supplemental bonuses before a brush fire of giving out some 50,000 point bonuses turns into a forest fire of a lot of longstanding cardholders complaining about how Amex is being unfair to them.

The Frugal Travel Guy's item actually predicted this likely Amex response.
lwildernorva is offline  
Old May 7, 2011, 7:15 pm
  #273  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
I was able to get the extra 50,000 via secure message last night, but DW just got shot down



While we appreciate your interest in the offer you mentioned, please understand that this is an offer only for solicited Cardmembers.

I understand that this may be disappointing to you, but because many of our offers are targeted to specific types of Cardmembers, you can expect to see various promotions throughout the year for which you may be eligible.

Sincerely, Southeast Asian Rep, Manager, Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services
marble123 is offline  
Old May 7, 2011, 7:18 pm
  #274  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by marble123
I was able to get the extra 50,000 via secure message last night, but DW just got shot down
Any difference between your accounts? Had you already met the spending requirements and such?
jperiod is offline  
Old May 7, 2011, 7:39 pm
  #275  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 563
I applied last night and got instant approval. After reading all your responses I got worried and emailed tonight. They just wrote back confirming the extra 50K! Data note, I have been an Amex card member since 1996. Maybe that has an effect??

My thought was if I write late at night on a weekend I would most likely not have the US office respond. The CSR that responded is certainly not from the US so it may be best to write them on a late night weekend.

Last edited by Milezjunkie; May 8, 2011 at 12:16 am
Milezjunkie is offline  
Old May 7, 2011, 11:23 pm
  #276  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by jperiod
Any difference between your accounts? Had you already met the spending requirements and such?
No differences, and no, neither of us have met the spending requirements yet.
marble123 is offline  
Old May 8, 2011, 5:49 am
  #277  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
Programs: All major programs
Posts: 1,403
I was able to get 50K added to my original 25K points a few days back. Thanks everyone for their help.
gv111 is offline  
Old May 8, 2011, 6:47 am
  #278  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 67
It appears as though the sooner you ask for the 50k the better, especially if they're beginning to crack down on awarding the points. I still haven't received my card and since I do not already have an AMEX I do not have a secure messaging account yet. I'm traveling on Tuesday and will be gone for 2 weeks, which means I won't be back until after the promotion has closed. I'd hate to have to wait that long prior to being able to submit my request. That leaves me with two questions:

Do you think cust service would provide my account number to me over the phone so I can establish my secure messaging account?

How long did it take for your card to arrive in the mail?
moznmar is offline  
Old May 8, 2011, 9:05 am
  #279  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 940
Whoa! Really disappointed after getting shot down twice via email so I decided to call in (I was nice about it, but I wasn't holding much hope and figured I'll give it a final shot). I got the difference between my initial sign-up bonus and the 75,000. Thank you FlyerTalk!^
BOShappyflyer is offline  
Old May 8, 2011, 10:57 am
  #280  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,033
Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
Whoa! Really disappointed after getting shot down twice via email so I decided to call in (I was nice about it, but I wasn't holding much hope and figured I'll give it a final shot). I got the difference between my initial sign-up bonus and the 75,000. Thank you FlyerTalk!^
What number did you call? 1800-AXP-EARN? I don't have my card yet but would rather try this sooner instead of waiting for the card.
abcx is offline  
Old May 8, 2011, 12:02 pm
  #281  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 940
Yes. I called 1800-AXP-EARN. if you don't have your card yet, I think the most likely thing they'll do is to annotate on your account notes. Good luck!

Originally Posted by abcx
What number did you call? 1800-AXP-EARN? I don't have my card yet but would rather try this sooner instead of waiting for the card.
BOShappyflyer is offline  
Old May 8, 2011, 4:24 pm
  #282  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,033
I just had a relatively long conversation with the folks at 1800-AXP-EARN.

I had originally applied under the 10k link since I couldn't find a 25k link and was shot down via secure messaging about the 75k. So I decided to call them. The lady on the phone almost notated the account with the 75k bonus, until she read that it was targeted and she asked who got the offer. I fudged a little bit and said I got it from a "friend" (I suppose I could have lied and said I got it) and then she said she couldn't apply it on my account since it was targeted. I think most Amex reps just aren't reading the whole thing and applying it willy nilly without a RSVP code.

I then asked about the 25k offer as posted in #266. She went away for a little bit, came back and said it ended in April so I couldn't get that. The page is still online so YMMV on getting the 25k but you can always use the argument that the page is still online and doesn't mention an expiration date - they should give you 25k at the very least. But she offered me a 50k offer with $500 spend that she said I was eligible for (offer code 5889). I'm guessing this isn't targeted so for those who get shot down on the 75k 5894 offer this might be worth trying. Also, if you don't want to roll the dice on the 75k, especially now that it seems that they're cracking down, applying with 5889 on the phone might be worth it for a guaranteed 50k MR. She notated my account and said I should call back after completing the spend and they'll take care of it.

FWIW, she also told me that the 5894 code is active till July.

Edited to add: As always, all of this is very YMMV. The first lady I spoke to said she couldn't do anything till I actually had physical possession of the card. So I hung up and got the second lady who did all of the above for me. Who knows, if I had called again, I could actually get 75k.

Last edited by abcx; May 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm
abcx is offline  
Old May 8, 2011, 4:55 pm
  #283  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SFO
Posts: 225
Has anyone tried getting a 25k bonus for the Premier Business card?

I signed up 7/2010 and got 50k MR points for $10k spend. Is there a 75k offer code out on the business card?
Upgrademe731 is offline  
Old May 8, 2011, 5:43 pm
  #284  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by abcx
I just had a relatively long conversation with the folks at 1800-AXP-EARN.

I had originally applied under the 10k link since I couldn't find a 25k link and was shot down via secure messaging about the 75k. So I decided to call them. The lady on the phone almost notated the account with the 75k bonus, until she read that it was targeted and she asked who got the offer. I fudged a little bit and said I got it from a "friend" (I suppose I could have lied and said I got it) and then she said she couldn't apply it on my account since it was targeted. I think most Amex reps just aren't reading the whole thing and applying it willy nilly without a RSVP code.

I then asked about the 25k offer as posted in #266. She went away for a little bit, came back and said it ended in April so I couldn't get that. The page is still online so YMMV on getting the 25k but you can always use the argument that the page is still online and doesn't mention an expiration date - they should give you 25k at the very least. But she offered me a 50k offer with $500 spend that she said I was eligible for (offer code 5889). I'm guessing this isn't targeted so for those who get shot down on the 75k 5894 offer this might be worth trying. Also, if you don't want to roll the dice on the 75k, especially now that it seems that they're cracking down, applying with 5889 on the phone might be worth it for a guaranteed 50k MR. She notated my account and said I should call back after completing the spend and they'll take care of it.

FWIW, she also told me that the 5894 code is active till July.

Edited to add: As always, all of this is very YMMV. The first lady I spoke to said she couldn't do anything till I actually had physical possession of the card. So I hung up and got the second lady who did all of the above for me. Who knows, if I had called again, I could actually get 75k.

That's very interesting. Thanks for the data point. Still waiting for the card and will try to secure offer 5894, and if not 5889.
leebryant is offline  
Old May 9, 2011, 6:10 am
  #285  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
I received and was approved for a targeted 50,000 bonus point offer. I emailed them and asked to be changed to the 75,000. They approved without a problem. Thanks for the post !!
Thefish269 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.