Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]BA 100,000 miles promo is back

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by arvin charles
Was your CSR from the Philippines? When me and my activated our cards, it was clear that the person on the other line was in the Philippines (I can say that because I was born there...And I know what their English sounds like).
Yup, and her English was very good, but she just wouldn't shut up

And yes, that phone call dragged for a while...
I miss the days of an automated response telling me the card was active.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by Stoughton

I thought the best activation I had was Delta American Express that I could do through a web site.
Old May 14, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Missed it again....
Old May 14, 2011, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by geepmaley
Missed it again....
Subscribe to the "The special credit card offers master thread" with email notification and you will get alerted any time an amazing credit card offer is available. It's kept up to date pretty well.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *G, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Stoughton

I activated my card last week and the process was entirely automated.
Old May 15, 2011, 5:15 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Wife and I got the BA Visa's with 100,000 miles each on the last go-round. Her miles are being set aside for next June for transportation to a Baltic cruise.

My points were set aside for First Class to Israel. Planned very shortly after the points were in the account and the companion voucher posted. I usually plan these things way in advance to assure myself of availability.

So why post now? Because after all those months - TODAY'S THE DAY! Just have to hope the weather doesn't cause any problems, hope the plane has the New First Class - oh hell, I'll be happy with whatever!

Happy trails to all. I was a bit skeptical when we got the cards - felt that the flood of new miles would have a very deleterious effect on availability but so far, plan ahead and the trip you want is yours.
Old May 15, 2011, 9:36 am

thread

Quote:
Missed it again....

Subscribe to the "The special credit card offers master thread" with email notification and you will get alerted any time an amazing credit card offer is available. It's kept up to date pretty well.

Could someone please tell me where this thread is located? Thanks so much.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by ddfr
Quote:
Missed it again....

Could someone please tell me where this thread is located? Thanks so much.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...l#post16389595
Old May 15, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
you might want to change that. one key to hitting spend levels if you're not going to go above and beyond is to run ALL your spending through the cards.

depending on how much you're giving, it might be worth the time involved to do this manually...

Originally Posted by metoo
I do ..Charity contribution gets deducted from my paycheck monthly
Old May 15, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Anyone on these forums should do a strict analysis of their spending. Figure out what's the maximum you can spend on credit cards over the course of a year. For a conservative spender like me, I was surprised how much I could run through a card.

Looking through the threads here, I suspect there are a lot of people who are running more through their cards than they can ever pay. Knowing what you can (and should) spend will give you a very good idea of the strategy you can follow in pursuing these offers. A lot of folks should have done nothing more than the CO offer that's expiring in about 2 hours (50K miles for a first purchase; really, how do you beat that?). On the other hand, there are plenty of high spenders who would think nothing of running five high-spend credit offers simultaneously ($2500 spend on the BA in three months with $3000 in three on the Chase Sapphire along with doubling up (or tripling up) the AA offers?).

Patience can be a virtue. Hitting "Apply" today on the 50,000 mile offer that requires $5000 in spending in three months may mean you miss the offer with 100,000 miles on $3000 spend. This is cleary a YMMV situation, but it's not a bad idea to exercise some caution and evaluate offers based on your own travel goals and the options reasonably available to you from your home airport or somewhere nearby.
Old May 15, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
This card certainly has been one of the more frustrating experiences in my credit card history. First they didn't immediately approve it. Then they questioned my credit lines on other cards. Even commented on a card that I had canceled more than a year ago (how does that even matter?).

Finally I thought everything was ok. Then after returning from my London trip my card arrived (talk about poor timing since I could have come close to the $2.5K spend just on that trip). It had no mention of the 100K offer and had only a $1K limit on it.

I thought they had sent me the wrong card so I called but the guy (very helpful) said it was the 100K offer. Then I asked why the limit was only 1K even though I had told the previous person to reduce my limit on the Continental card and give me a higher limit on this card. He said there was no info on that in my account but he had no trouble bumping me up to 10K.

So now it is just a matter of spending the $2.5K. Apparently my start date was May 5.

Hopefully others had an easier time than I did.
Old May 16, 2011, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva

Patience can be a virtue. Hitting "Apply" today on the 50,000 mile offer that requires $5000 in spending in three months may mean you miss the offer with 100,000 miles on $3000 spend. This is cleary a YMMV situation, but it's not a bad idea to exercise some caution and evaluate offers based on your own travel goals and the options reasonably available to you from your home airport or somewhere nearby.
There's some truth here. I've generally been impressed with the level of knowledge folks here have demonstrated about credit scores, credit pulls, average age of accounts, etc. And I suspect many FTers are like me -- high spenders but never paid a dime in CC interest ever. But if someone is applying willy nilly to rack up miles with no consideration of how they are going to use the miles or pay back the CC spending requirements, and most importantly, no consideration to whether they need to preserve a good credit score for an important event in the next six months (job application, insurance application, buying or refinancing a home, auto loan or lease), then they're playing with fire.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by jjwjjw
You're probably fine. Mine seemed like it took about 2 weeks. Longer than I would have expected. That being said, I think I read somewhere upthread that you can call and they can tell you when the card was mailed, but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
Mine is taking pretty long as well. I've been approved and I can access the new cc account online. Still, no card yet and it's been about two weeks since approval. I'm not concerned.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
It took several weeks for me to receive my card as well so some delay is not unusual. Keep in mind, however, that Chase considers the trigger date for the $2500 spending requirement to be the date you applied for the card. As mentioned in other portions of this thread, they apparently will consider moving that date forward if you make that request during the call to activate your card (one of the benefits of a human rather than automated contact). Also keep in mind that the annual fee does not count towards your spending limit so your total account activity must hit $2595.00 to qualify for the second 50,000 mile bonus.
Old May 16, 2011, 12:48 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Chase adding the 100k bonus offer to one's account after they claim the card was applied for with no bonus offer at all?

I applied for, and received my card w/ the 100k offer. Applied for my wife a few days later (well before the offer expired) and Chase is claiming her card has no bonus. They forwarded the case to another department, waiting to hear back...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.