Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]BA 100,000 miles promo is back

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by headoflife
Does this mean that a "stopover" can be of any length? I am in Chicago, and AA has a large presence at ORD, so could I, as an example, book a flight from NYC to LA, woth an extended "stopover" in Chicago, and by doing this I would get a one way flight ( my return) from NYC to Chicago, and a one way flight (my departure) from Chicago to LA?
I know it can be hard to believe as it took quite a while for it to sink into me as well, but yes, a stopover can be of any length aa.com shows JFK-LAX routes going thru ORD, so it is a valid routing and you can ask for a stopover even though there are non-stops available on the route. In fact there are some routes thru places like LAS, which is not an AA hub. You might even be able to get that. One of the benefits from flying from a hub to another hub.

Note you will have to book these flights over the phone, as ba.com is not able to book aa awards with stopovers. If you ask politely, you can get the phone fee waived.

If I have that right, is there any way to get the two complementaty legs, without a base in either NYC or LA?
Don't understand the bolded.

Last edited by UA Fan; Apr 28, 2011 at 9:40 am
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: Some.
Does this mean that a "stopover" can be of any length? I am in Chicago, and AA has a large presence at ORD, so could I, as an example, book a flight from NYC to LA, woth an extended "stopover" in Chicago, and by doing this I would get a one way flight ( my return) from NYC to Chicago, and a one way flight (my departure) from Chicago to LA? If I have that right, is there any way to get the two complementaty legs, without a base in either NYC or LA?

Thanks a lot for your help! I have received 3 new cards in the last couple of months and am trying to decide if this is worth risking a credit pull, and possible rejection. The credit is good, but one of the 3 recent cards is a Southwest from Chase, for the 2 free RT.

You can read thepointsguy's post on his blog about this subject here.

Better information than you'll get from this thread.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I know it can be hard to believe as it took quite a while for it to sink into me as well, but yes, a stopover can be of any length aa.com shows JFK-LAX routes going thru ORD, so it is a valid routing and you can ask for a stopover even though there are non-stops available on the route. In fact there are some routes thru places like LAS, which is not an AA hub. You might even be able to get that. One of the benefits from flying from a hub to another hub.

Note you will have to book these flights over the phone, as ba.com is not able to book aa awards with stopovers. If you ask politely, you can get the phone fee waived.

Don't understand the bolded.
Sorry. I am sure my poor spelling didn't help! I was trying to figure out if there is any way to get the legs from, in my example, Chicago to NYC, and LA back to Chicago, using this same strategy. I have thought it through a bit more, and if I understand, I could book a "return" flight LA to NYC, or somewhere else that makes Chicago a reasonable stop, with a really long stopover in Chicago! Is there really no limit on the length of this type of stopover? Meaning it could be months? That is pretty unbelieveable. It sure would make the risk of applying seem worth it. Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by RedRiver
You can read thepointsguy's post on his blog about this subject here.

Better information than you'll get from this thread.
Thanks for the advice! I will check it out now.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry. I am sure my poor spelling didn't help! I was trying to figure out if there is any way to get the legs from, in my example, Chicago to NYC, and LA back to Chicago, using this same strategy. I have thought it through a bit more, and if I understand, I could book a "return" flight LA to NYC, or somewhere else that makes Chicago a reasonable stop, with a really long stopover in Chicago! Is there really no limit on the length of this type of stopover? Meaning it could be months? That is pretty unbelieveable. It sure would make the risk of applying seem worth it. Thanks for the help!
Not a problem, yes a stopover can be any length upto a year I believe as I think in general airline tickets are valid for upto a year. But note that once you are within 24 hours of the first segment of the itin, you cannot make any changes incl a simple date even if you are ready to fork out money. Only exception is if there is a weather issue. So to make good use of BA miles, you need to have definite plans.

And this is why it is important to make one-ways awards as you can make changes to the return even after completing the outbound. In fact I currently have benefited by making a one-way award due to changes in my plans.

Once you make your way to NYC, you can keep yo-yoying from NYC to LA thru ORD and vice-versa and stopping in ORD each time. Your only cost to help start doubling BA miles is a one-way ticket to NYC or LA. See this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16293435-post725.html

Last edited by UA Fan; Apr 28, 2011 at 11:04 am
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:54 am

888 number worked -struck gold.

I applied a week ago and was deferred, so I called the 888 number (1-888-245-0625). (First I called the 800 numbers but they said nothing could be done.) The rep asked me a few questions, such as "your application states your annual income is X, is that correct?" (Yes.) "Do you own or rent?" (Own.) "What is your mortgage payment?" ($0 as stated, because we paid off the mortgage.) "I see there have been some other inquiries recently [CapOne personal and business] -- what is the reason you're applying for this card?" (I am interested in the British Airways mileage.) "You have two other cards with Chase, one with a 0 balance, is it OK if I transfer 10K of your credit line to this card?" (Yes.) So she approved me! It still has to go through the formal systemic review but for all intents and purposes it sounds like a done deal. I am happy because I applied during the last round for this card and was denied because of too many inquiries, including the Citi/AA cards which were also denied due to having had the cards in the past. 2010 was not a good card-getting year but 2011 is shaping up just fine -- four CapOne 100K's (me, dh, and business for each), and now the BA. Next I'll place his app for the BA and then two apps each for the Citi/AA cards - hoping Citi's memory is short, and sweet. Thanks everyone for all the incredible tips!!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Does anybody have any reason to believe that this promotion will get extended or that the application will stay up longer than expected, like the CITI AAdvantage cards?? Did they extend the sign-up period on the 100k bonus last year?
The AAdvantage apps have been up for several months past the "offer expiration date" and are still working.

I'd love to see this get extended, as I just do not think with my 6 new cards in 2 months, (1 being Chase CO card in Feb and denied Chase Southwest cards in Feb), that I will get approved for this card.
Banks are different.

Citi has a record of having expired apps stay up online for a long time and continue to work and continue to get the bonuses despite being officially expired. Chase has no such track record that I'm aware of.

Meanwhile, last year it was a mess. It was announced, then disappeared, then came back, then ended, then came back, then went away (and maybe ever more complicated, I'm not sure, but I remember at least that much, because I applied on the "very last" time it was available last year, after having missed it the first couple times).

So it's just as likely based on the past that it could disappear prematurely as be extended!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:04 pm

Thanks all in the thread for posting how to call Chase and get "reconsidered".

I just got the SW card a couple months ago, so got the denial letter; after a couple questions by the rep I suggested splitting that (they had given me a CL way higher than I need anyway), and he recommended for approval, but said it was still processing..

But the new account showed up on-line today!

So now I'm off to read up on the details of booking domestic AA with BA miles...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, AA, CX Asia Miles, United MileagePlus, HHonors
Anyone know which credit bureau Chase pulls from? I live in Arkansas, if that is any help.

Also, how long does it take to get the card in the mail after you are approved?

Is there a way to get your card number, expiration date, and CVV number so you can make online purchases before you receive the physical card in the mail?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ride_on
So now I'm off to read up on the details of booking domestic AA with BA miles...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16293435-post725.html
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Banks are different.

Citi has a record of having expired apps stay up online for a long time and continue to work and continue to get the bonuses despite being officially expired. Chase has no such track record that I'm aware of.

Meanwhile, last year it was a mess. It was announced, then disappeared, then came back, then ended, then came back, then went away (and maybe ever more complicated, I'm not sure, but I remember at least that much, because I applied on the "very last" time it was available last year, after having missed it the first couple times).

So it's just as likely based on the past that it could disappear prematurely as be extended!
Sounds like you had some good timing! Haha.

Maybe I will just not apply this time around, and hope that it comes back like it did last year.
I just went 6 for 9 in new credit cards in 2 months, and have 8 hard inquiries on my report (1 Chase), so I can't imagine my odds are too good to get this card before the "offer expires" next week.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:53 am

Programs: QFF WP
Applied last Tuesday, was not approved immediately, but when I rang the phone number on Thursday (? I think it was) it told me I was, with a $17.5k limit.

I'm actually kind of surprised, since I've only been in the country 18 months and they apparently pulled my Experian score which was the lowest (~640). OTOH, I have a pretty good income and haven't had so much as a late library book while we've been here. Citi did knock me back for an AAdvantage Mastercard I applied for on the same day, however.

Card arrived today (28th). Between a new bike (been putting it off since I applied) and a few other bits & pieces I should have my $2,500 spent by Sunday. Be interesting to see how long it takes the points to show up.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Gold
Bonus. Has it hit anyone BA account yet? I made my first purchase this past Sunday. Someone said until the first statement posts, it won't hit. I'd prefer to get the 50,000 miles sooner so I can get things booked!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by cloudeleven
Anyone know which credit bureau Chase pulls from? I live in Arkansas, if that is any help.
They pulled both Equifax and Experian for us (NC). Quoted report form Equifax in the denial letter.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by flykodo
Bonus. Has it hit anyone BA account yet? I made my first purchase this past Sunday. Someone said until the first statement posts, it won't hit. I'd prefer to get the 50,000 miles sooner so I can get things booked!
Call Chase and ask to have your statement closing date changed to someday next week. That way you should get the 50K within a couple days of the statement closing date provided your first purchase has posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.