Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are there ways to earn miles with a smartphone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

Resistance is futile. After several years of resisting, my wife's old cell phone bit the dust. It was time for a new cell phone. So now we both have these new, shiny, expensive smartphones (Android).

I'm learning how to use the thing. So I started to wonder: are there any ways I can earn miles using my phone? (For example, I know that there are search bars that you can install into your home PC or laptop that earn miles for web searches. Any such things for the phone?)

And here's a related question: I found a TripAdvisor app (haven't installed it yet). I do use Google reader to follow a number of travel blogs, so I now have that installed in the phone. But there doesn't seem to be an Award Wallet app or a FlyerTalk app. Are there particular phone apps that people find useful for miles junkies?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:07 am

I haven't used it yet, but I stumbled across this one the other day:

http://www.checkpoints.com/
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Award wallet does have an Android app in beta. You can download it from them. Works great on my Droid 2 Global.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:56 am

I've been using Topguest. It works in conjunction with facebook places, foursquare, and a few other apps go get you points or miles when you check into certain places (hotels and virgin america kiosks primarily).

http://www.topguest.com/
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: US Silver Preferred, Delta
I'm using the flyertalk app to post this! On an iPhone?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
FlightView free is a great travel app. Can input itineraries and it'll track flights for you. Also maps, status etc. It often alerts me to flight changes before the airline does. ^
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kendenton
Award wallet does have an Android app in beta. You can download it from them. Works great on my Droid 2 Global.
Had to search to find it - the Award Wallet Android app (beta) is at the bottom of this page:
http://awardwallet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=195

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.