Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Starwood Amex such a good card?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Why is Starwood Amex such a good card?

Hello Everybody. I am new to this forum and everybody keeps talking about how good the Starwood Amex card is. But why is it so good? I agree that it earns invaluable starpoints but isnt the free Hilton card which earns 6 Hilton points per dollar on everyday categories better? It also gives Silver status for free.

What I dont understand is what makes people so ga ga about the Starwood Amex? What are benefits of having the Starwood Amex card that you wouldnt have had if you were a SPG Gold without the card?

Note: I am not comparing the SPG with other programs. I want to know what benefit does the Amex card add?

Last edited by cleome; Mar 19, 2011 at 8:53 pm
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:28 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
25% bonus on airline transfers & good easy bookings with cash + points awards
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
The 25% bonus is pretty nice so you get effectively 1.25 miles per point on virtually any airline.

Which brings us to the second reason....with a few exceptions, you can transfer on a 1:1 ratio starpionts to any airline so you're flexibility is huge as you combine this card with other airline specific cards and programs.

Add this flexibility in airlines to the ability to redeem at Starwoods properties which has some very nice high end properties especially in Europe and you have yourself a nice "go to" card.

It's not for everyone and the Hilton Surpass card is very nice as well, but don't be fooled by the 6 points per dollar, 3 points per dollar, etc. as a starpoint is worth more than a hilton point.

There are more reasons but those are the biggies. It's even better if you already have status with Starwood (platinum preferably).
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Comes in personal and business versions with the ability to add users who have their own account numbers. Very mintworthy.

Originally Posted by mariobey
The 25% bonus is pretty nice so you get effectively 1.25 miles per point on virtually any airline.

Which brings us to the second reason....with a few exceptions, you can transfer on a 1:1 ratio starpionts to any airline so you're flexibility is huge as you combine this card with other airline specific cards and programs.

Add this flexibility in airlines to the ability to redeem at Starwoods properties which has some very nice high end properties especially in Europe and you have yourself a nice "go to" card.

It's not for everyone and the Hilton Surpass card is very nice as well, but don't be fooled by the 6 points per dollar, 3 points per dollar, etc. as a starpoint is worth more than a hilton point.

There are more reasons but those are the biggies. It's even better if you already have status with Starwood (platinum preferably).
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cleome
Hello Everybody. I am new to this forum and everybody keeps talking about how good the Starwood Amex card is. But why is it so good? I agree that it earns invaluable starpoints but isnt the free Hilton card which earns 6 Hilton points per dollar on everyday categories better? It also gives Silver status for free.

What I dont understand is what makes people so ga ga about the Starwood Amex? What are benefits of having the Starwood Amex card that you wouldnt have had if you were a SPG Gold without the card?
1 SPG is arguably better than 6 HH.

SPG is still #1 in my book. You have the flexibility of transferring to nearly all major airlines at a ratio of 1 to 1.25 as previously mentioned...plus you have the hotel options as well. No other card can beat that.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:03 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
1 SPG is arguably better than 6 HH.
I am booked to stay in Athens this March at Hilton - 40k per room x 3 nights = 120k points.
I was in the Sheraton and Le Meridien in Egypt last Nov = 44-48k points for 2 rooms for 7 days. Incredible value. Lounge access. Free Breakfast. Plus, when I can book rooms like that for others, I get free airline tickets to anywhere.
Even valuing SPG at 2c each for me from CC spend instead of my fidelity cash back, 800-900$ total cost.
3000 points a night = cost at most 60$ a night from me in opportunity cost. This was half the price of booking.
One night at the Le Meridien pyramids was 100$ online + tax, but for the folks there was listed at 480$ + 25% tax.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

I was under the impression that the 25% bonus and cash+points are features of the Starwood program. Can't you get it without the Amex card?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by cleome
I was under the impression that the 25% bonus and cash+points are features of the Starwood program. Can't you get it without the Amex card?
Yes, but it's obviously faster and easier to accumulate points with the AmEx.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The SPG Amex card also has a great extended warranty. I had two electronic items break after the manufacturer warranty expired and Amex issued me a refund for both items.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: Lotz
Having the flexibility of transferring miles into many programs when you find the reward you want is the best feature (not being stuck finding your reward in a certain program).

Topping off most airline accounts is the 2nd best feature of SPG and MR. Buying miles from an airline to top off for the reward you want is too expensive.

However, if just getting normal spend into *A is most important, then the Fidelity AmEx which gives 2 Aeroplan miles per any $ spent is much better than SPG's 25% bonus on 20K. Plus the Fidelity is free while the SPG has gone up to $65/year.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:35 am

If you have the Starwood AMEX, you get an annual bonus of 2 stays and 5 nights toward elite status (Gold or Platinum) with the Starwood Preferred Guest program.

But as I've said before, Starpoints (which you get for spend on the Starwood AMEX) are much more valuable than points in any other award program, because they can easily be converted to almost any airline frequent flyer program. I call them the "stem cells" of frequent flyerdom. Most other programs make it harder, limit the airlines you can transfer to, or take a long time for the points to transfer.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd love to do Starwood Amex referrals if anyone needs one.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor
I call them the "stem cells" of frequent flyerdom.
Yup.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
This is why:

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...eem/index.html

Airline miles transfer page (detailing 5k bomus for evey 20k transferred on specific airlines)
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...tner_list.html
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'd love to do Starwood Amex referrals if anyone needs one.
Agreed; if anyone needs a referral to either the personal or business cards, please PM me. AFAIK it gives you the same offer as you would receive by applying straight out: 10k after 1st purchase, and 15k after spending $15k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.